Author Topic: Buying a DSLR for both skate footage and normal photography  (Read 537 times)

keepthefunkalive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
Buying a DSLR for both skate footage and normal photography
« on: February 12, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »
Things to look for... So I'm thinking about a couple canon models. The m50 and the sl3. Basically I want to get some decent glass and be able to film skating and take macro photos of plants. I know the lenses are what matters for photos, but I want to know what people think is important for a good dslr for skating. Besides being in the right price range for me... I'm looking at the m50 and sl3 because 1) they have an external mic jack for audio and 2) they have a variable angle for the screen so I can look down at what I'd be filming when rolling around.

Reviews say the m50 has shitty battery life, but it's mirrorless and apparently that's better for photo quality. I've read that canon sensors have a distinct quality that has a good natural sharpness and saturation, which is good for snapping pics of plants, but bad for skate footy. I'm guessing I'd dial those settings back for skate clips. Idk much about this stuff so some specs to look for would be appreciated. Totally open to other brand and model recommendations.

Sorry if this question is posted all the time, but I've done a few searches on here and haven't found the info I'm trying to dive into

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
Re: Buying a DSLR for both skate footage and normal photography
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 08:34:03 AM »
Theres a few things to consider. DSLRs are bigger and heavier compared to a mirrorless but mirrorless cams have less battery life because of the smaller batteries but that can be fixed but acquiring more batteries.

I have a Sony Mirrorless cam and they are definitely great with really good image quality and works really good in low-light. Mine because its a first gen has the colors kinda weird and I have to correct them in post. The colors of Canon are fucking awesome I had a Rebel T5i before (which is a pretty basic cam) and they colors were beautiful.