Author Topic: Austyn Gillette | The Nine Club  (Read 19101 times)

HORSES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
Austyn Gillette | The Nine Club
« on: February 21, 2022, 03:12:55 AM »

Solid episode. Surprisingly very funny.

3rd company under FA was initially gonna be Louie, Jake & Austyn.

Calls out Elijah around the 1 hour 26 min mark.

Getting an offer from Toy Machine is very...left field.

Shuh

• Rep: 2
Re: Austyn Gillette | The Nine Club
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 04:38:20 AM »
His industry insights are pretty good.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 04:58:23 AM »
Seems like a diva but I appreciate that he didn’t play it safe in this interview and spoke his side of the story on touchy topics. Really liked radiant cure, would love to see another part of that effort.
I haven’t watched an episode in awhile but crob seemed bored, which made it kind of funny.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 06:47:16 AM »
Little awkward when Austyn talked about not wanting to milk it, while surrounded by some of the biggest milkers in the history of skateboarding.

*Also.. when they were talking about pros getting demoted to am when switching companies, and all the Crail dudes were like “yeah that happened to some guy recently but I can’t remember who?”  Knowing full well it was Trahan but not wanting to say it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 08:06:40 AM by Coastal Fever »

OwlGreen

• Rep: -127
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 07:39:09 AM »
What was the elbowpad company name they were going to buy for 75k?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 07:44:31 AM »
Sick to hear him mention Kyle Nicholson. Seems like a solid interview.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 09:50:29 AM »

I haven’t watched an episode in awhile but crob seemed bored, which made it kind of funny.

44:57 is a hilarious moment.  But still an awesome interview

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 10:48:51 AM »
love how candid he is about everything.  very refreshing

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 12:04:54 PM »
That was kinda hard to listen to, all he sounds to me is jaded. complaining about new board companies just never seems to make sense. Craig and habitat fell off for a reason and i dont think it had to do with board wall realty

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »
Been waiting for this one for awhile. Glad there was a big time gap between this and his bunt interview. Still halfway through but so far so good. Doing whippets with Staba and getting on 3D made laugh.

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 12:25:40 PM »
That was a fun watch. Austyn stayed transparent on some dicey issues. Definitely some moments of friction but all in all he seemed respectful of the dudes. One of the funny cringe moments I noticed that kept happening was Austyn bursting out giggling at Crobs’s tired refrain of “but that’s awesome though” or “congratulations man”

I wish the nine club guys were more diligent about rewatching their guests parts. They didn’t even remember his amazing part in Origin. Would have been more interesting to hear from them discuss Austyn’s Ollie over the two rails at Brooklyn banks as opposed to resorting to “But Globe man that’s awesome”

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 12:45:54 PM »
this was really candid, I've been waiting for this one as Austyn is a fav of mine.

Some real gems in there, some have been mentioned already...the FA thing, the WKND thing, Elijah, and most of all that The Boss/ Greco said he could do whatever he wants at Baker Boys (Makes some sense as Greco was heavily influenced by Austyn's Quick video.

thebacker

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »

timestamp?

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 12:59:27 PM »
Going on the nice club and being honest about man am's and pro's milking it was fucking hilarious

Fucking hilarious was going to be the name of his FA endeavor

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »
That was a fun watch. Austyn stayed transparent on some dicey issues. Definitely some moments of friction but all in all he seemed respectful of the dudes. One of the funny cringe moments I noticed that kept happening was Austyn bursting out giggling at Crobs’s tired refrain of “but that’s awesome though” or “congratulations man”

I wish the nine club guys were more diligent about rewatching their guests parts. They didn’t even remember his amazing part in Origin. Would have been more interesting to hear from them discuss Austyn’s Ollie over the two rails at Brooklyn banks as opposed to resorting to “But Globe man that’s awesome”

This. I can’t fucking take the straight up mindless positivity anymore. I get not wanting to be a hater but these guys completely refuse to go into anything remotely controversial, uncomfortable, or even comical. You can keep it real without it being personal. The Bunt is so much better at this, but you don’t get the long interviews like Nine Club.

And yeah, if they are so committed to being the Good Morning America of skate media, at least be schooled in the minutia of their guests career. This is where Rog used to shine. Kelly is a decent encyclopedia but too fucking corny and annoying to take seriously.

thebacker

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 01:05:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This. I can’t fucking take the straight up mindless positivity anymore. I get not wanting to be a hater but these guys completely refuse to go into anything remotely controversial, uncomfortable, or even comical. You can keep it real without it being personal. The Bunt is so much better at this, but you don’t get the long interviews like Nine Club.

And yeah, if they are so committed to being the Good Morning America of skate media, at least be schooled in the minutia of their guests career. This is where Rog used to shine. Kelly is a decent encyclopedia but too fucking corny and annoying to take seriously.

There's countless times they say "oh we rewatched x part and saw y" and then it leads to a good story, it feels like it doesnt happen as much on the nine club

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 01:58:43 PM »
Austyn is a straight shooter and is bound to encounter some friction in the skate industry circle jerk. Love to hear him do a long form interview in a more interesting format. Hope globe takes care of him, his style is all-time. Minus the bowling shirts.

Monopolyman

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 02:26:25 PM »
I didn’t know Ben Kadow worked under BA’s partner in a kitchen before getting on 3D, his first ever sponsor.  Sick origin story
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:25:57 PM by Monopolyman »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 02:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

timestamp?
Earlier on, when he’s talking about the people that were on hawk clothing and being off termite.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 02:54:41 PM »
Around the 1:30:00 mark, I wonder which company Austyn was talking about that was stealing his board ideas. Seems kind of generic but there must be more to it

Monopolyman

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 03:26:24 PM »
Around the 1:30:00 mark, I wonder which company Austyn was talking about that was stealing his board ideas. Seems kind of generic but there must be more to it

Seemed like he meant Baker?  Maybe FA as well

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 03:31:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seemed like he meant Baker?  Maybe FA as well

I think he was referring to using photos as graphics.. has Baker done that in the past couple years? I don't think FA has iirc. Again, seems super generic so I wonder if there was more details that he didn't disclose.

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2022, 04:23:23 PM »
I heard it as Baker too and they have indeed do photo series - https://www.paradeworld.com/uk/news/baker-skateboards-jerry-hsu-photo-series/

anyway, I thought the episode was great. Austyn is way funnier than I expected.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2022, 04:53:53 PM »
I didn’t think it was Baker or FA actually, maybe some of the stuff Polar has done. He was skating a Polar at one point. It seemed like a brand he didn’t have any friends at, maybe Sovrn if they still exist.

The thing that drives me nuts is when C Rob goes “ya I totally know what you mean…” or some fake form of pretending he and the guest have shared similar experiences. He was basically irrelevant his entire career and stuck with a few of the same sponsors so I find it hard to believe he has any parallels with any of his guests.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2022, 05:28:53 PM »
I heard it as Baker too and they have indeed do photo series - https://www.paradeworld.com/uk/news/baker-skateboards-jerry-hsu-photo-series/

This is what came to mind immediately upon hearing him say that. Loved the episode. I will probably get a bit of guff here but subtlety mentioning Berle was interesting in the sense Austyn clearly emulated Dylan early on & that’s that. I also found it interesting that he was so quick to jump ship that WKND when he was living with all of these guys and they’re his regular go-to crew& his friends. I’m sure he was aware of Dill hating WKND/Grant, etc. Either way, huge fan of Mr. Gillette. Pretty much only started skating Huf because of him and Dylan. Still pull out his Huf shoe every now as I kept a pair for safe keeping; it was a good one. Just wish his globe shoe wasn’t a mid top. Curious to see what his signature shoe will bring!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 07:38:54 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 05:29:09 PM »
I didn’t think it was Baker or FA actually, maybe some of the stuff Polar has done. He was skating a Polar at one point. It seemed like a brand he didn’t have any friends at, maybe Sovrn if they still exist.

The thing that drives me nuts is when C Rob goes “ya I totally know what you mean…” or some fake form of pretending he and the guest have shared similar experiences. He was basically irrelevant his entire career and stuck with a few of the same sponsors so I find it hard to believe he has any parallels with any of his guests.
I doubt Polar, they distribute sml. wheels and he seems pretty down with Pontus.

Fun interview, had me cracking up a few times.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2022, 05:31:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is what came to mind immediately upon hearing him say that. Loved the episode. I will probably get a bit of guff here but subtlety mentioning Berle was interesting in the sense Austyn clearly emulated Dylan early on & that’s that. I also found it interesting that he was so quick to jump ship that WKND when he was living with all of these guys and they’re his regular go-to crew& his friends. I’m sure he was aware of Dill hating WKND/Grant, etc. Either way, huge Dan of Mr. Gillette. Pretty much only started skating Huf because of him and Dylan. Still pull out his Huf shoe every now as I kept a pair for safe keeping; it was a good one. Just wish his globe shoe wasn’t a mid top. Curious to see what his signature shoe will bring!

Dylan and Austyn were friends way before either of them dressed remotely fashionable. They were on Quiksilver together after all.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2022, 07:28:51 PM »
If your frame of reference for fashion begins and ends with skateboarders then yeah, Dylan and Austyn dressed the exact same  ::)

That was a good episode though. I like his industry insight

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »

Oh I completely forgot about that!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2022, 07:59:15 PM »
I don’t think it’s that: Jerry released a book of photos and has had photo shows before. Not a weird “copy”. April has a few decks now with weird photo edits I was thinking a more mainstream brand like them perhaps.