Author Topic: Place Magazine: What's going on in Ukraine (Ukrainian & Russian skaters comment  (Read 10431 times)

manuva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
The people at Place magazine talked to a Ukrainian skater who lives near the Russian border about the ongoing conflict. This is part 1 and part 2 (coming tomorrow) will be a talk with Russian legend skater/tour guide Kirill Korobkov of Kenny Reed/Van Wastell fame.

https://place.tv/sasha-ukraine/

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
thx for posting

steeloctopus

• Rep: 3
I'll save you the headache of having to listen to skaters with no geopolitical education talk about the most significant military event Europe in the last 40 years. Just listen to the Economist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLdwI9s0wc
I'd rather have four quarters than a hundred pennies. - Al Capone

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
it's cool to hear a 'regular person' perspective, and see how different it is from all the clickbait war-mongering you read everywhere else.

i'm surprised they didn't mention ukraine's economic situation at all tho-- my understanding is that one main factor in ukraine's instability is related to the fact that wages are insanely low. people only make like $10k a year on average (in USD). their economy is like the only post-soviet economy that hasn't recovered since the early 90s.

i'm *not* surprised that they didn't ask him about all the psycho neo-nazi type ukrainian nationalists that the US funds and trains to fight off Russia. kind of an unpopular topic for some reason, especially in english-speaking media

i feel bad for regular people just trying to live in ukraine, being stuck between two superpowers  :-[

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
I'll save you the headache of having to listen to skaters with no geopolitical education talk about the most significant military event Europe in the last 40 years. Just listen to the Economist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLdwI9s0wc

ok angry tennis dad

mj23

• SLAP Pal
Ukraine belongs to Motherland Russia. Cпасибо чертовски неудобно
i hope that this post turns slap into the next hot arena for online astroturfing

if any western NGOs want to pay me to make pro-western posts... my DMs are open. no lowball offers tho, my time and reputation are valuable.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
Expand Quote
[close]
i hope that this post turns slap into the next hot arena for online astroturfing

if any western NGOs want to pay me to make pro-western posts... my DMs are open. no lowball offers tho, my time and reputation are valuable.

Slap will be the next big target for putins troll army.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Borders and countries are so 2000 and late

I feel bad for everyone

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
Thanks for posting, @manuva. This is pretty interesting.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
Guys make sure nobody asks anyone native to Ukraine or Russia for their viewpoint on any of this, just watch this video by uhhh *checks notes* Buzzfeed

Lmfao

Yeah, better check Russia today for neutral news coverage  ::)

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
I'm pretty busy with my wumao responsibilities, but if Putin wants to throw me a few rubles I'm down

mj23

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol Ukraine is just a province of motherland Russia
Yes we heard you the first time, thanks for sharing

I can’t respond more fully until somebody offers me a good per-post pay rate.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Who look like that & wana ask what's the commotion
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

village_idiot

• Rep: -2

translation: cock and ball torture, hey-now-ho!

Escooter

• Rep: -9
This is hilarious. Does Berra actually think Joe Biden and world leaders are looking at the Berrics Instagram? I mean I knew the guy was a self-important egomaniac but this is just absolutely ludicrous. Nobody is following your skate park to get their opinions on international geopolitical conflicts, Steve.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaQeTxGM7f_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Lron would be proud

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
human spirt

nicotinewheel

Expand Quote
This is hilarious. Does Berra actually think Joe Biden and world leaders are looking at the Berrics Instagram? I mean I knew the guy was a self-important egomaniac but this is just absolutely ludicrous. Nobody is following your skate park to get their opinions on international geopolitical conflicts, Steve.

[close]
Lron would be proud
According to Hubbard himself he at one time worked on narco-synthesis and weapons of psychological warfare on behalf of the US department of defense, also volunteering to inform on members of his own organization to the FBI. He was a staunch anti-communist and I'd guess he wouldn't be terribly upset about war with Russia or any other "enemy of the state". He was most likely a US intelligence asset throughout his career.

skunty

• Rep: 68
The political borders are pretty are pretty abitrary though. Ukraine was part of Russia before it became the USSR and was part of USSR. Russia would love to have Ukraine but it's not going to happen. At the very least they will support a civil war in Ukraine to avoid Ukraine becomign part of NATO, and that is happening. Honestly if we're going to let them into NATO we're saying we're willing to go to war for them, so they are calling our bluff right now. Really why the hell do we want to go to war for Ukraine? To avoid expansitionist Russia? They're only supporting the civil war because of the NATO expansion. I think as someone who wants is in favor of peace we should abandon NATO expansion and basically play ball with the Russians. Let them have their little sphere, let them keep supplying natural gas for the next few decades while we figure out green energy. Just my 2 cents at the current moment.

nicotinewheel

I mean is it just me or is this like psychosis-level delusions of grandeur? I mean he's literally addressing the President by name like Joe Biden is just scrolling through the Gram all day looking at wacky skatepark circus-trick videos?
Absolutely, I'm just putting it in the perspective that Scientology is/was a mind control psy-op from the jump, people like Steve are easy targets.

skunty

• Rep: 68
I mean has Biden even seen 7Teen Sips? I can picture Joe in cop shades and a sideways hat yelling 'DO A KICKFLIP!!!' out the window of a limo in the Presidential motorcade

that is berra's end goal in posting this

mj23

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Lron would be proud
[close]
According to Hubbard himself he at one time worked on narco-synthesis and weapons of psychological warfare on behalf of the US department of defense, also volunteering to inform on members of his own organization to the FBI. He was a staunch anti-communist and I'd guess he wouldn't be terribly upset about war with Russia or any other "enemy of the state". He was most likely a US intelligence asset throughout his career.
Scientology has some pretty wild connections to mid century psychological warfare and intelligence operations, but it’s also worth noting that Hubbard was completely full of shit. He told a ton of tall tales about himself being an Eagle Scout and a highly decorated military veteran, but most of it isn’t true.

Just one example: I’ve actually toured 3 or 4 scientology facilities over the years because I have a morbid fascination with it all. One memory that sticks out was in L Ron’s home in Washington DC, which is now preserved as a museum. Anyone can tour it for free, and they’ll give you a bunch of books and DVDs.

Anyway, in this house there was a picture of some building on a rocky beach next to a cliff, which they claimed was where he lived when he was in New Jersey for some reason. But I’m *from* coastal New Jersey and I know that there aren’t really any coastlines in NJ that look like this picture.

Anyway Berra sucks but I guess I agree with him for once in this case. Even a dog’s ass sees the sun once in a while.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
I mean is it just me or is this like psychosis-level delusions of grandeur? I mean he's literally addressing the President by name like Joe Biden is just scrolling through the Gram all day looking at wacky skatepark circus-trick videos?
I feel like it could be the opposite. He is presenting it that way for the dweebs that follow the Berrics knowing full well that nobody of any importance will ever see it. gets to look tuf and caring without risking or actually doing anything.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

I'd often agree, but even though Kirill is not a professor of international relations, he is a smart dude rather worldly, and I'm curious about his experience of this situation as a Russian skater who likely has significant ties to the skate scene in Ukraine.

I'm not looking for him to explain all the ins and outs of this whole thing, but I'm curious about his experience. Also, I'm impressed that he agreed to go on record and make a public statement at all.

Finally, I'm impressed we have a magazine that is touching on a topic that touches skateboarders but isn't skateboarding.

Also, a good source of information from inside Russia:
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 08:59:39 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

lk130

• SLAP Pal
Actually I read the statement of The Berrics first haha
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

nicotinewheel

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Lron would be proud
[close]
[close]
Scientology has some pretty wild connections to mid century psychological warfare and intelligence operations, but it’s also worth noting that Hubbard was completely full of shit. He told a ton of tall tales about himself being an Eagle Scout and a highly decorated military veteran, but most of it isn’t true.

Just one example: I’ve actually toured 3 or 4 scientology facilities over the years because I have a morbid fascination with it all. One memory that sticks out was in L Ron’s home in Washington DC, which is now preserved as a museum. Anyone can tour it for free, and they’ll give you a bunch of books and DVDs.

Anyway, in this house there was a picture of some building on a rocky beach next to a cliff, which they claimed was where he lived when he was in New Jersey for some reason. But I’m *from* coastal New Jersey and I know that there aren’t really any coastlines in NJ that look like this picture.

Anyway Berra sucks but I guess I agree with him for once in this case. Even a dog’s ass sees the sun once in a while.
I mostly agree & I do agree Berra is a sun drenched ass in this case.
Just ultimately tough for me to shake the feeling that the mass of lies/disinfo/misinfo around Hubbard doesn't point towards a sheep dip situation.(We need a good thread in whatever on parapolitics/weirdness like this).

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Lron would be proud
[close]
[close]

[close]
Just ultimately tough for me to shake the feeling that the mass of lies/disinfo/misinfo around Hubbard doesn't point towards a sheep dip situation.(We need a good thread in whatever on parapolitics/weirdness like this).

Why does he address this nonsense to Joe Biden? Is Berra getting his new from RT?

It seems Berra doesn't even understand that America isn't going to war with Ukraine or Russia, but instead Russia may attack a NON-NATO member that the US has NO obligation to protect.

Him and Mikey Taylor are so insanely dumb, but so insanely arrogant.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
People are acting like whether a war happens or not (all signs now point to yes)will all be because of American imperialism. Putin has signaled this whole thing for quite some time and the Western political class and journalists just never bothered to understand it or take it seriously. Putin is taking advantage of a lack of preparedness by the US, EU, and NATO.

nicotinewheel

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Lron would be proud
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Why does he address this nonsense to Joe Biden? Is Berra getting his new from RT?

It seems Berra doesn't even understand that America isn't going to war with Ukraine or Russia, but instead Russia may attack a NON-NATO member that the US has NO obligation to protect.

Him and Mikey Taylor are so insanely dumb, but so insanely arrogant.
Everything Berra does in public is just marketing for his shitty brands, in this case he's not entirely wrong but I don't think he read the room correctly if his goal is to appeal to his customers.

I'd be shocked if Berra has even a passing knowledge of the history leading up to the current situation.
The US has played a major part in precipitating this conflict and will continue to manipulate the situation to the fullest of their capabilities.

As far as RT, it's biases are well documented. American news outlets receive far more credit than they are due, for them there is no need for direct state control or ownership b/c they will parrot the press releases of the state all the same.

lk130

• SLAP Pal
350million won't even help Ukraine
https://share.newsbreak.com/j1mm3jzo
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image

„Workers of the world unite!“ (Marx and Engels). The Berrics on quoting the communist manifesto and I am not mad at it!