Author Topic: Rear foot popping position  (Read 2492 times)

LebowskisRug

Rear foot popping position
« on: February 22, 2022, 09:58:16 PM »
I’ve noticed some dudes use the tail, some the pocket, some seem to mix it up. Did you consciously decide where to put it or just end up there.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Re: Rear foot popping position
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:06:37 PM »
ur overthinking this

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 11:44:45 PM »
Depends on the setup, the trick, how high you want to pop, and how much effort you want to put in

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 12:58:08 AM »
I'm more of a pocket guy than tip/edge of the tail, but i've been experimenting with this on a couple of tricks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 01:24:09 AM »
Mostly pocket. Don't want my foot to touch the lava. Helps reduce flappy foot Ollie.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 08:50:30 AM »
ur overthinking this

The thing is I never actually thought about this and don’t when I’m skating, but I’m trying to improve my repertoire and it could be a useful strategy.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »
usually my rear foot ends up wherever for most tricks. the only trick that I tend to be more specific with rear foot positioning is back tails. I have been playing around with different positions for regular kickflips, but none have felt good or has improved my shitty technique.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 09:50:21 AM »
When I used to skate ventures, I would put my foot alot more towards the edge.

With aces now, I'm always in the pocket

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 10:26:09 AM »
usually my rear foot ends up wherever for most tricks. the only trick that I tend to be more specific with rear foot positioning is back tails. I have been playing around with different positions for regular kickflips, but none have felt good or has improved my shitty technique.

where? been trying to figure this out myself.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 11:38:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

where? been trying to figure this out myself.

I place mine flat on the tail slightly towards the pocket area. I angle my rear foot outward (think nollie kickflip but way less extreme). Basically I approach the ledge with my feet looking like a duck/clown and its been working for me lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 02:44:37 PM »
My back tail setup that has worked really well is to put my front foot right behind the front bolts at a slight angle and rear foot moderately towards the toe side but not as much scoop as a back 180. Turn towards the ledge slightly before popping then at the last second scoop and pop while almost turning away from the ledge. Winds the hips up nice.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 04:06:08 PM »
Depends on the setup, the trick, how high you want to pop, and how much effort you want to put in

This. You don't really realize until you start playing around with it how much you can change by sliding your foot a few millimeters or changing the angle.

I would say for me it depends on the board more than anything. I tend to kind of play around with it a little until I find the sweet spot. I used to crouch on the tip like a gargoyle but generally with most boards I'm down the tail a good ways now.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 10:57:18 PM »
I think it's more depended on the trick or how you do it.

But yeah if you wanna buy the new trucks or board then i accept your reasoning

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 11:15:12 AM »
On transition, feet should match but if I want to do something on flat I'm trying to use the middle of the tail more.

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 07:57:14 AM »
After years of being a pocket guy on most of my tricks (mostly conditioned by my appreciation of steep banks and transitions), I recently started putting my back foot more on the edge of tail and unlocked almost instantly some long-time abandoned flip tricks as well as getting up easier on ledge.

I guess I have to thank this thread for this because for 20 years, I never really thought much of my back foot placement because It kinda worked most of the time and solely focused on adjusting the flick of the front one.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2022, 08:54:43 AM »
Somewhere along the line I developed some pretty bad flap foot. I saw some footage from a long time ago and I had a pretty respectable glue-footed ollie. I am not sure where the flap came from... but maybe this thread will help.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2022, 09:48:23 AM »
Somewhere along the line I developed some pretty bad flap foot. I saw some footage from a long time ago and I had a pretty respectable glue-footed ollie. I am not sure where the flap came from... but maybe this thread will help.

Same, in that now I got some flap. I used to be able to ollie high, but never well. Meaning my technique was always bad, but I could jump high. Now I cannot jump high.
I think a problem, one of many for me, is diminishing flexibility, particularly in the hips. It’s all in the hips. I cannot do the hacky sack motion with the back foot that is used by many glue footers.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 03:24:51 PM »
tip of the tail if i need to pop
toeside pocket if i need to scoop
between the tip and toeside pocket, kind of, if i need to flip more. (this is more apparent with nollie/switch flips, and also adds to the stability.)
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2022, 07:57:52 AM »
Thinking about it is your problem. Never look at popping foot just go based off feel.

lydius

• Rep: 40
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »
between the tip and toeside pocket, kind of, if i need to flip more. (this is more apparent with nollie/switch flips, and also adds to the stability.)
pretty much this for me.
slight heelside pocket for front shoves.
never understood how people can fully use heelside pocket for kickflips (Janoski, Malto, Ribeiro). like that MikeMo trick tip. shit happens too fast for me to control my flick :(

Frank and Fred

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »
Since reading this thread, I moved my foot from the tip up an inch or two into what I think you guys call ' the pocket' and its helped a lot of flap eradication. thanks! or maybe its just my crispy new deck.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2022, 09:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same, in that now I got some flap. I used to be able to ollie high, but never well. Meaning my technique was always bad, but I could jump high. Now I cannot jump high.
I think a problem, one of many for me, is diminishing flexibility, particularly in the hips. It’s all in the hips. I cannot do the hacky sack motion with the back foot that is used by many glue footers.

My hips were essentially frozen for 2 years due to 15+years of ignoring certain injuries and getting hemmed in one particular activity up as a result. this is what I did/do to fix it-

supine butterfly pose (suptabadakonasana) will help with medial hip flexion and is really chill if you put pillows under the knees. sitting up, put soles of feet together in front of you, knees will flop somewhere toward the floor, pop some pillows or supports under the knees, come down to forearms eventually onto your back. make sure legs are supported and this isn't a straining active groin stretch. lay on back for 10 minutes or longer. the supported, long held stretch allows the body to get further away from fight or flight state that it's generally in. so while the stretch isn't feeling particularly deep, the mind/heart rate gets to slow down. when this happens, deep inside the muscles heavy relaxation can begin. It's particularly prevalent in the legs/hips as they're what control propulsion, and regardless of whether we know it or need it, we've evolved to be in a state of READY-GO propulsion. thankfully, we have no need to be on alert and run from tigers all the time. Still, in contemporary living, this aspect of human physical evolution causes all sorts of issues when not utilized through activity and then also allowed to relax. That's my plug for deep, passive, supported, restorative stretching of the hips/lumbar region  ;)

also, something that happens with hip flexion is tension in the lumbar spine, muscular or fascia, so practicing a yoga pose like Triangle, where you're shifting your hip from side to side while keeping the legs straight and feet glued to the floor can be super helpful in waking things up.

sit on the floor as often as possible, crossed legged, switching the cross of you legs. it's simple and does the real work.

it's kinda silly, but dance and jump around, shake your hips to wake things up.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2022, 05:16:52 PM »
Interesting...

I thought I was pretty much the only dude popping most of the tricks with the back foot at the tip, and always wondered if it was a bad habit. The 'pros' usuallly stay in the pocket, and while its harder to pop I think it's better to stay 'over the board' during the trick.

Pretty much the same.

Mostly pocket. Don't want my foot to touch the lava.
I used to crouch on the tip like a gargoyle
These made me laugh. :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:33:40 PM by Solex »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2022, 08:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My hips were essentially frozen for 2 years due to 15+years of ignoring certain injuries and getting hemmed in one particular activity up as a result. this is what I did/do to fix it-

supine butterfly pose (suptabadakonasana) will help with medial hip flexion and is really chill if you put pillows under the knees. sitting up, put soles of feet together in front of you, knees will flop somewhere toward the floor, pop some pillows or supports under the knees, come down to forearms eventually onto your back. make sure legs are supported and this isn't a straining active groin stretch. lay on back for 10 minutes or longer. the supported, long held stretch allows the body to get further away from fight or flight state that it's generally in. so while the stretch isn't feeling particularly deep, the mind/heart rate gets to slow down. when this happens, deep inside the muscles heavy relaxation can begin. It's particularly prevalent in the legs/hips as they're what control propulsion, and regardless of whether we know it or need it, we've evolved to be in a state of READY-GO propulsion. thankfully, we have no need to be on alert and run from tigers all the time. Still, in contemporary living, this aspect of human physical evolution causes all sorts of issues when not utilized through activity and then also allowed to relax. That's my plug for deep, passive, supported, restorative stretching of the hips/lumbar region  ;)

also, something that happens with hip flexion is tension in the lumbar spine, muscular or fascia, so practicing a yoga pose like Triangle, where you're shifting your hip from side to side while keeping the legs straight and feet glued to the floor can be super helpful in waking things up.

sit on the floor as often as possible, crossed legged, switching the cross of you legs. it's simple and does the real work.

This is so good. Thank you very much for taking the time.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 01:14:49 PM »
Depends on the setup.   On a more mellow angled tail I move the foot more towards the pocket.  On a steeper setup, more towards the tip. 

Brguy

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2022, 08:00:23 AM »
I found recently that my pop started sucking because I didn't have my foot on the edge enough. Now I barely think about it but to me "edge=quick pop" which is good.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 06:51:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I wish I could gnar all this. I just wanted to mention to anyone who, like me, struggles to find the mental calm to achieve this: weed can help. Like a whole lot. I can get way deeper core, glute, etc stretches. Makes me more comfortable p-poppin in front of my wife to loosen up my hips.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 09:26:28 PM »

Dylan Jaeb has entered the chat
The chillest1

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2023, 06:23:41 AM »
I feel like it depends on the height of the trick, and if it's fs, bs, or into a manual. Plus how much power you need. They all change for me.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2023, 11:25:07 AM »
For most tricks that don't include a rotation, my back foot is dead center of the tail, maybe a little offset to the heelside and slightly back, but definitely right in the "meat". Any spins or shuv-it tricks, I adjust for the scoop accordingly.

I might have a more central placement due to skating mostly transition