Author Topic: Characterizing a skateboard on the power to finesse scale.  (Read 739 times)

Deric Koston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Characterizing a skateboard on the power to finesse scale.
« on: March 01, 2022, 02:28:13 PM »
Hey everyone, I wrote an article about how to characterize a skateboard on the power to finesse scale. There is a lot of confusion around this topic so I tried to write out a simple explanation. Feedback is appreciated.

Pop Angle

For tricks that are based on the flatground ollie, the way a complete board skates can be characterized by a spectrum ranging from power to finesse. In this article, we will explore the mechanics that influence where a particular setup lies on this spectrum.

*A skater’s skill can overcome any limitations imposed by equipment.

Popped tricks are tricks that are performed by pushing down on the tail with enough force so that it strikes or “pops” off the ground. The angle relative to the ground that this happens is known as the pop angle (pictured above). This angle is important because it can be used to characterize where on the power-finesse spectrum a setup will reside. Simply put, a steeper pop angle will result in a board with more power and a shallower pop angle will promote a more finessed style.

There is a lot of complex physics happening during an ollie and the pop angle does not describe the actual physics taking place, rather it is a tool for understanding and comparing why boards skate differently. With this understanding, let’s dig deeper into pop angle. If we compare two boards with different pop angles (pictured above). A steeper pop angle will translate to a more upright angle when the tail strikes the ground. This means, in comparison to a shallower angle, your board has further to go in order to level out at the peak of your maneuver. Consequently, you will need to put more energy into the trick which will result in a more powerful style.

For example: if you are having trouble with your kickflips rocket flipping (not leveling out at the peak of the trick), they would level out with less effort if you reduced your pop angle. Keep in mind that too long of wheel base and a skater’s strength could also be contributing to rocket flips.

How do you alter the pop angle of your setup? The angle your board pops off the ground is the same angle as the one depicted above. The arrows indicate how moving that point will influence pop angle. As you can see, adding riser pads, bigger wheels, higher trucks, a longer effective wheelbase, etc. will increase your pop angle, and the inverse is true for decreasing pop angle. If you are interested in trying this out for yourself and you skate a directional popsicle board, try comparing how the same trick performed off of the tail versus the nose feels. Since the tail is shorter it will promote a more powerful style, and in contrast, the nose will feel more finessed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 12:52:36 PM by Deric Koston »

boogs

Re: Characterizing a skateboard on the power to finesse scale.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 08:09:46 PM »
do what

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 08:16:04 PM »
Can you write an article on how to get a girlfriend? I need some help.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
Do you have a link to said article? Would like to read it in full.

Have definitely thought about this before - steep kick decks with aggressive concaves (FA / Hockey) are for power skaters, mellower / flatter ones for the tech dogs. Choosing an ideal deck is more art than science (unless you talk to Paul Schmitt) but:

*A skater’s skill can overcome any limitations imposed by equipment.

This channel's video helps to visualize the difference in shape vs pop generated, a good companion to your initial post.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 10:24:47 PM »
I'm not reading all that unless you personally post a clip.

Deric Koston

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 12:46:48 PM »
I'm not reading all that unless you personally post a clip.

Old and lazy.

Deric Koston

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 01:12:48 PM »
Do you have a link to said article? Would like to read it in full.

Have definitely thought about this before - steep kick decks with aggressive concaves (FA / Hockey) are for power skaters, mellower / flatter ones for the tech dogs. Choosing an ideal deck is more art than science (unless you talk to Paul Schmitt) but:

Hey Rocklobster, this comes from a zine I am working on that is intended to "Write down the unwritten rules of skateboarding." All of the topics covered in this zine are things that most skaters know already, but covered in more depth thus lowering the barrier for entry for understanding your equipment and the culture of skateboarding. I cover things like wheelbase, truck comparisons, wheel slideability, ettiquette, why most skaters don't wear helmets, a brief history, etc.

I haven't seen this video about tail steepness, so thanks for that.  But if you read my description closely you will see that I account for more than tail steepness. I also describe how risers, wheel size, horizontal axle position (trucks have different horizontal axle positions in addition to height) in addition to shape alone.

I posted this snippet from the zine here to see if my description for "Pop Angle" makes sense to other people. I don't feel comfortable posting the zine in its entirety here right now, but if you DM me your email I'll share a digital version with you. Here are a couple of pages from the zine.

Here are a couple of pages from the zine:

freidnly guy

• Rep: 16
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 02:00:50 PM »
Me personally I consider pop angle independent from power. Ace trucks with a short wb deck and risers is steeper than many setups, but definitely a very light feeling pop. I can probably ollie higher than the same setup without risers, but I wouldn't classify it as more powerful.