Author Topic: Shape stealing  (Read 3357 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
Re: Shape stealing
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2022, 09:09:23 AM »
Expand Quote
I wish there was a version of those old girl shapes, readily available (guy, sheffey being my favorites).
Also with some slightly scaled up versions were in play.
[close]

There’s a boutique wood shop on insta, the guy who runs it is meticulous about shapes, and specializes in custom shapes, especially older ones (he has a ton of stencils) and can size them up digitally to get the exact specs you want.

https://instagram.com/pretty_rad?utm_medium=copy_link

After skating a Jason Lee reissue a few years back and feeling the board to be too flat and the nose feeling short. I may finally get the chance to skate that dream board. I just got the chills.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2022, 10:09:24 AM »
The World double kick board was a Vision shape. Me and my friend each had one and they were boss. Had the World one also. I think that was 1989

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2022, 11:59:34 AM »
The World double kick board was a Vision shape. Me and my friend each had one and they were boss. Had the World one also. I think that was 1989

I remember seeing the vision double kick, in the wild, before I saw the barnyard shape, and always thought the vision came out first. The vision board that I remember looked like two tails tho, more extreme than the barnyard shape. I remember scoffing, somewhat, from a distance.
The barnyard looked super dope. The graphic, the whole shit. Much like then, I’d lust after a board, then go to the shop to get said item, and last second audible and buy something completely different.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 12:30:51 PM by Ok »

flintstagram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »
Expand Quote
I wish there was a version of those old girl shapes, readily available (guy, sheffey being my favorites).
Also with some slightly scaled up versions were in play.
[close]

There’s a boutique wood shop on insta, the guy who runs it is meticulous about shapes, and specializes in custom shapes, especially older ones (he has a ton of stencils) and can size them up digitally to get the exact specs you want.

https://instagram.com/pretty_rad?utm_medium=copy_link

This is so fucking sick! Definitely going to hit him up and ask some questions. Thanks, dude!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2022, 08:17:31 PM »
Maybe the wrong thread to ask, but when did Alien start doing square shovel noses and stuff? I remember them being steeper than Girl and shit, but nothing close to the old Element decks I had.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2022, 08:39:37 PM »
Maybe the wrong thread to ask, but when did Alien start doing square shovel noses and stuff? I remember them being steeper than Girl and shit, but nothing close to the old Element decks I had.

That super shovel nose…was that a Dylan board? I vaguely remember the shapes being more square than the girl/choco stuff, and AWS boards were for sure steeper. Strangely, I cannot remember much about shapes, unless they were really out there (I’ve blathered on and on about the sheffey toy soldier shape/tail, for instance). I’d guess right before minefield on the big big noses. Stuff kinda changed, in my mind, around 2010. I have the old tws buyers guide from that year and the setups are wild: lots of 7.6” trucks in 8”+ boards. Like the opposite of 1994 when people were skating 8” trucks on 7.5” boards. Anyways. I’d guess those shapes came into play around then.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2022, 08:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Isn't there a guy Mariano shape that every company made a version of for years
[close]

Yeah, his 7.5" Girl shape, originally PS-pressed. Louie Barletta uses it for his personal Enjoi boards.

Are these the pro models available for sale (8.25 x 32 x 14.25 / 8.5 x 32.1 x 14.25) for a custom shape only he rides?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2022, 03:01:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, his 7.5" Girl shape, originally PS-pressed. Louie Barletta uses it for his personal Enjoi boards.

[close]

Are these the pro models available for sale (8.25 x 32 x 14.25 / 8.5 x 32.1 x 14.25) for a custom shape only he rides?

They look like the standard sizes out right now.

Louie was still on a really tiny board last time he was out here (which was a while back now) but I know we were amazed to see it - definitely under 8, maybe bigger than 7.5 but I think he said he had to set up a wider board as they didn't have his in stock before he left or something.

Sorry that probably didn't help at all though.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2022, 03:06:55 AM »

I don't recall seeing any PS Stix squared off boards, or at least not in the square shapes they have now, but maybe three to five years ago when they were on BBS there were both the square and the regular shapes available, of which I got in quite a few and was curious that there were some advertised as the same, but they were clearly different.

One was the normal 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wb and the other a square kick 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.2 wb - set them both up and really liked the normal one but couldn't skate the square one, short wheelbase and super long kicks, so passed that one on to someone else.

Now three years later and the square one is the only one that is coming out, going by recent stock drops.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2022, 07:18:20 AM »
@rocklobster its a 7.5" shape, no idea if it's regular production.

@ok @LebowskisRug the first time I ever had a square AWS was like 2008, it was a Dylan board. Not as pronounced as they are today but it looked insane to me at the time.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »
@rocklobster its a 7.5" shape, no idea if it's regular production.

@ok @LebowskisRug the first time I ever had a square AWS was like 2008, it was a Dylan board. Not as pronounced as they are today but it looked insane to me at the time.

Pretty sure the Louie shape is not production.

Re AWS: 2008 sounds right on. The boards on FA, more so in the beginning, seemed to me to have a lot of the properties of smaller boards (short length, short wb), on slightly larger shapes. Which makes sense, as Dill and AVE are not big, and skated boards that were maybe 7.75 for a long ass time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2022, 07:40:44 AM »
In probably my first sign of madness I learned switch heels on the Kalis Love deck. Some older dude asked to skate it at the park and broke it. I begged my Mom to drive me to 3 different shops in the area to find one. We found one and I used all my money to buy 2 others. Don’t think I’ve had them as good since.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2022, 08:16:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't recall seeing any PS Stix squared off boards, or at least not in the square shapes they have now, but maybe three to five years ago when they were on BBS there were both the square and the regular shapes available, of which I got in quite a few and was curious that there were some advertised as the same, but they were clearly different.

One was the normal 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wb and the other a square kick 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.2 wb - set them both up and really liked the normal one but couldn't skate the square one, short wheelbase and super long kicks, so passed that one on to someone else.

Now three years later and the square one is the only one that is coming out, going by recent stock drops.

Do really long nose/tails help with larger wheels?

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2022, 01:26:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do really long nose/tails help with larger wheels?

that sounds intersting- mind i am in europe......i skated a habitat and a rasa libre board waaaay back in like 2006. the habitat kerry getz was kinda pointy and i remember the rasa board feeling hella weird. Back then i was not looking at shapes/ sizes but the nose was def steeper on that one.

back in 2014 i skated the first habitat board (PS/ Mexico made) since then. after that i got my local to order more boards in my size and to be PS/ BBS/ Mexico made as i was in that previleged position- Usually you get lots of china made boards for the european market!

Anyway- al the boards from 2014 on were either PS or BBS (later on like 2016/ 2017) but still mostly square as fuck nose, sort WB.....after that been riding FA/ Hockey but i felt like nose and tail kicks were too steep for my liking compared to the alien/ Habitat boards i skated a few years before. their shapes changed too though over time

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 20
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2022, 05:04:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That super shovel nose…was that a Dylan board? I vaguely remember the shapes being more square than the girl/choco stuff, and AWS boards were for sure steeper. Strangely, I cannot remember much about shapes, unless they were really out there (I’ve blathered on and on about the sheffey toy soldier shape/tail, for instance). I’d guess right before minefield on the big big noses. Stuff kinda changed, in my mind, around 2010. I have the old tws buyers guide from that year and the setups are wild: lots of 7.6” trucks in 8”+ boards. Like the opposite of 1994 when people were skating 8” trucks on 7.5” boards. Anyways. I’d guess those shapes came into play around then.

I think the FA shape is based of Gilbert’s Workshop shape.. I remember reading somewhere Dill asking if he could use that shape.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2022, 05:07:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They look like the standard sizes out right now.

Louie was still on a really tiny board last time he was out here (which was a while back now) but I know we were amazed to see it - definitely under 8, maybe bigger than 7.5 but I think he said he had to set up a wider board as they didn't have his in stock before he left or something.

Sorry that probably didn't help at all though.

I think on one of his nine club interviews, Louie said he’s still on a 7.5 deck, slightly under 31” in length (no clue about WB). His instagram shows wobbly loose Krux K5 and 50mm pig wheels.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2022, 07:32:50 PM »
Isn’t the Foy shape just the Anti Hero blue eagle?

They’re similar but the Foy 8.5 has a 14.25 WB whereas the Anti Hero has a 14.38 if I’m not mistaken.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2022, 07:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They’re similar but the Foy 8.5 has a 14.25 WB whereas the Anti Hero has a 14.38 if I’m not mistaken.

I thought the Foy shape was shorter, 31.5”. Am I tripping?
I do want a short 8.5.
The best board I’ve had recently, was a ps glue 8.5, 14.25, maybe 32” ish. So so good.
Anyways I like short boards.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
Then you’ll love the DLX 8.5 with the 14.25. It’s 31.8 and they have a half dozen graphics every drop and it’s always a price point size.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2022, 07:50:28 PM »
Austyn said hes been riding the same shape for years and a few different companies.
Does it count if you steal the shape from yourself?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2022, 08:02:18 PM »
Then you’ll love the DLX 8.5 with the 14.25. It’s 31.8 and they have a half dozen graphics every drop and it’s always a price point size.

Noticed some price point 8.5s are more of a mix between the 8.25 and 8.38 shape. 8.5x32.18x14.38. Something to keep in mind. They have a grimple price point with those dims on their site.

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2022, 10:48:09 PM »
I remember Louie saying in some interview that he skated a 7.3. Might remember wrong but I do remember being surprised that it was smaller than what is available anywhere really.

flintstagram

« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2022, 11:55:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I do want a short 8.5.
The best board I’ve had recently, was a ps glue 8.5, 14.25, maybe 32” ish. So so good.

They have always claimed it’s 31.75, but if you measure across the top tip to tip with a tight line (not touching the board except tip of nose and tip of tail), it’s 31.5. Deathwish has always called it 31.75 though.

I realize I’m not a good enough skateboarder to be that picky, but god damn it feels so perfect to me. It’s all I want to skate. Makes me sad to know I’m going to have to most likely move on at some point.

flintstagram

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2022, 12:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I do want a short 8.5.
[close]

They have always claimed it’s 31.75, but if you measure across the top tip to tip with a tight line (not touching the board except tip of nose and tip of tail), it’s 31.5. Deathwish has always called it 31.75 though.

I realize I’m not a good enough skateboarder to be that picky, but god damn it feels so perfect to me. It’s all I want to skate. Makes me sad to know I’m going to have to most likely move on at some point.

The DLX 8.5x31.8 measures 31.625 if measured the same way. Both measure correctly (per specs) if you use a slack line across the top.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2022, 12:56:46 PM »
I forget where he said it but Louie mentioned once that his shape is in production, just as a one of the "first push" kids completes.

EDIT: it was bothering me so I found it
https://youtu.be/AAHErMoTJ6Q?t=2242
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:44:28 PM by white guy in a durag »

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2022, 02:36:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Blue eagle is 8.5" x 31.8" with a 14.25" wb.  You could probably go between that and the B16 without noticing, since the difference in length and width between them is so small (8.475"x31.875"? Fuck off) that it just seems almost like a way to distinguish the B16 from other shapes with the same dimensions.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2022, 04:01:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Blue eagle is 8.5" x 31.8" with a 14.25" wb.  You could probably go between that and the B16 without noticing, since the difference in length and width between them is so small (8.475"x31.875"? Fuck off) that it just seems almost like a way to distinguish the B16 from other shapes with the same dimensions.

Dimension wise those are very similar.
Shape wise, noticeable difference, to me. (Caveat it’s been a long ass time since I had either). I liked the b16 a lot more: pointy, flat, shorter tail, bigger nose (not steep, just longer than the tail by a bit). B16 has some taper so smaller trucks can go on that, makes sense as those dudes were running that for a minute. This is all from my cooked memory tho so.
But yeah, both shapes are dope.
Now I want to try one of those 14” wb eagles.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2022, 05:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Shape wise, noticeable difference, to me. (Caveat it’s been a long ass time since I had either). I liked the b16 a lot more: pointy, flat, shorter tail, bigger nose (not steep, just longer than the tail by a bit). B16 has some taper so smaller trucks can go on that, makes sense as those dudes were running that for a minute. This is all from my cooked memory tho so.

I got one of the 14" eagles and am both stoked and apprehensive about trying it. Stoked because it could hypothetically take a good thing (the refined, classic blue eagle shape) and make something about it better (easier flip tricks, better turning with Ventures), but it could also fuck me up a bit now that I've gotten so accustomed to my current main squeeze.  I might set it up this weekend and just get it over with.

I've been on blue eagles for a minute and they definitely have some taper, especially noticeable towards the tail, but you're right, the B16 is noticeably more tapered in the kicks.  Even considering that, I've been looking for III's and IV's, and to me those and the Baker OG mellow concave feel super similar; IV's even feel slightly flatter than the mellow Baker boards. If I can't find a blue eagle next time I'm looking I'd definitely swap one out for a B16 over something else with similar dimensions, because even if I don't prefer them aesthetically, I skate better on a board with tapered kicks. (Goddamn you, 90s shapes I learned on.) But it just comes down to personal preference at that point.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2022, 05:27:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I got one of the 14" eagles and am both stoked and apprehensive about trying it. Stoked because it could hypothetically take a good thing (the refined, classic blue eagle shape) and make something about it better (easier flip tricks, better turning with Ventures), but it could also fuck me up a bit now that I've gotten so accustomed to my current main squeeze.  I might set it up this weekend and just get it over with.

I've been on blue eagles for a minute and they definitely have some taper, especially noticeable towards the tail, but you're right, the B16 is noticeably more tapered in the kicks.  Even considering that, I've been looking for III's and IV's, and to me those and the Baker OG mellow concave feel super similar; IV's even feel slightly flatter than the mellow Baker boards. If I can't find a blue eagle next time I'm looking I'd definitely swap one out for a B16 over something else with similar dimensions, because even if I don't prefer them aesthetically, I skate better on a board with tapered kicks. (Goddamn you, 90s shapes I learned on.) But it just comes down to personal preference at that point.

I completely agree.
Well, I actually like the look of tapered, when on on it looking down. Just looks like the era I was most comfortable.
Been kinda bummed, b16s have been less frequently at the shops, baker seems to put out less on that shape these days. Which is wild cuz it’s real versatile. Must not sell tho. The FA shape effect.
Good to know the blue eagle is an acceptable stand in. Obviously the pandemic gear shit sucked, but my bbs boards from the last few years have been bogus. I want to stress that I am an idiot, that is not good at skating, and is willing to put into print that I totally believe that Krookeds have the best wood, followed by anti hero, last place real. I fucking have not had a real I liked in 20 plus years. It’s all the same wood isn’t it? I swear tho. Anyways, my last few AHs were wonky, felt undercooked. Light, but soggy. The main advantage of bbs stuff to me was that companies I liked/and that the locals stocked, used them, and that the bbs stuff lasted longer.
 As I’ve gotten older and weirder I don’t care about durability and am thus totally cool with spinning the ps stix roulette wheel of: ‘will this one suck to the point where I question continuing to skate, or be the best board I can remember having’.
Totally want to hear about this 14” wb one because Imma wb pervert and hard like ventures.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2022, 03:29:17 AM »
Just a heads up. I just found out SkateDeluxe takes a picture of every deck that shows off the concave, looks like SkateWarehouse too:
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en
https://www.skatewarehouse.com

Man, this makes shopping for decks online so much easier. SkateDeluxe even have nose and tail measurements.

Does anyone know of any other sites that show the concave with consistency? This could really help with threads like this.

I'm really liking the way this Hopps deck dips before the nose and tail. Big old 7 inch nose too.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/hopps-x-labor-barrier-8-5-skateboard-deck-black-white_p156575?eav=234%2C233%2C951-954&cPath=42&brand_id=640,618
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 03:50:18 AM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.