Author Topic: Jeen-Yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy  (Read 194 times)

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
Jeen-Yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy
« on: February 28, 2022, 10:15:29 PM »
Obviously a controversial dude, but curious to hear who saw that doc and what you guys thought about it. The footage is just incredible. I personally loved it, and pretty stoked to watch episode 3 this week

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

beatifk

• Rep: 162
Re: Jeen-Yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 11:46:59 PM »
Here's my posts from the Netflix Movies That Don't Suck thread... hopefully the others don't mind me posting the convo.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone watch the first part of the Kanye doc, jeen-yuhs?

Say what you will about the man as an artist/designer/celebrity/etc, but watching these early years, he was definitely determined. And we all know he eventually got what he wanted and more. But maybe it's not a good thing to get everything you want?

I'm looking forward the the next 2 installments. The rise and then the spiral into insanity. I don't envy famous people at all and I feel like this could be an honest depiction of how these celebrities really come undone. His interactions with Dug Infinite in the doc (no spoilers) are telling a lot.

I really like the guy behind the camera, Coodie, and his premonition that Kanye would be one of the biggest stars ever was a pretty good guess. It's pretty funny to think he decided to make a documentary on the man when he was living in Newark driving a beat-up Nissan Altima... he definitely saw something.

I loved the Lil Wayne doc that came out when Carter III was just out. I love these types of things about musicians who just work and work and hustle because it's not something that people tend to get a lot of the time. They're just rich and famous musicians who don't have "real jobs".
[close]

I hesitated to watch it, but glad I did.   

Best part was seeing the ghetto Kanye behind his desk on his MPC...so sick.  Knowing how much mainstream rap downplayed his rapping was fucked up, glad Mos-def and Talib Kweli knew to take a bet on him.  I still consider the black starr album a pivotal all time hip hop album, so its no surprised they help launch his rap career. 

also incredible how his mom supported him...wish we all had mothers like that.   

Also looking forward to the downward spiral, which i know is going to be a combination of his mom passing and dealing with the crazy ass kardashian family.
[close]
Would this be recommended for someone who doesn't like Kanye and maybe even doesn't like rap music in general? Is it a bit like the last dance where anyone can get it or do you kinda have to care about hip hop?
[close]

I highly recommend but it might not be your cup of tea if not into the music industry 

Sports are different that art,  the drive to be the best is similar but the context for music is entirely subjective, sports its obvious, you win titles in high school/college and go pro.  Not so easy for music and art

I use to make beats and DJ back in the early 2000s and it was a unwritten law that beat makers arent supposed to rap.  When Madlib and Dilla broke that in the independent artist/label, it let the door open to Kayne who broke the commercial label rules of rap.  not so much a big deal nowadays, but back then it was like when dj's started scratching over records
[close]

I'd say it's worth a try... It's more interesting than most of the total shit that you can find on Netflix. If you don't like it, turn it off. It's and underdog story of a man who is arguably an actual genius. I loved the first 3 Kanye albums and bought them each the week they came out. Lately, it's a shame what's happened to him, and I honestly have no interest in his music anymore, but anyone who becomes THAT famous is bound to meet some sort of difficult circumstances in life.

The 2nd part was more of the same. When he was playing people Through The Wire it was a really entertaining section of the film. That's when a lot of people first saw Kanye the way he saw himself for so many years, most importantly his boss, Dame Dash. Pharrell's reaction was the best, put a big smile on my face watching it. I remember the first time I heard the song too. I was visiting my old roommate at the bar he worked at and it came on over Hot97 or Power105, I don't remember, and we both were huge hip-hop fans who had gotten burnt out on it in general, primarily because of Get Rich Or Die Trying being played everywhere in NYC for a full year, but as soon as that song came on were were just humming the tune for weeks and waiting for the album to come out. It is a masterpiece of a song.

I'm glad so much time is spent just leading up to the release of the first album, because it really was important in changing music forever, and it's a positive story, and it avoids focusing too much on Kanye's eventual mania... but I guess it's because Coodie was only really around during this time of Kanye's career, at least that's what I've read in a few articles about the film.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 01:10:02 AM »
beatifk, I was the same, I bought the first 4 Kanye albums right when they dropped. 808's and heartbreak is when Kanye lost me, but in hindsight, it was a masterpiece too.

as for the doc, I loved it, pretty epic. Episode 3 was sad though. Fame will do fucked up shit to people. It's kinda like when Bowie totally his mind to coke and drugs in the 70's....

Fave scene in the doc: when Kanye raps for Mos Def, he puts so much heart in it. Mos Def is easily the better MC, but even him does not have that much passion. of course the Pharrell scene was awesome too!

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 10:51:27 AM »
Kanye was in his bag when he made father stretch my hands pt 1