Author Topic: Broken pinky toe or just contusion - when can I skate again?!  (Read 1578 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Been three weeks and it’s still not improved.
I skated ones and it’s hurts, but is ok to me, the only concern is that it doesn’t heal when I would keep skating.

Any experiences with broken pinky toes in here?
What would you do? Skate? Pause ?

Wether is finally good and exactly now this happened. So pissed.

Fhk

Re: Broken pinky toe or just contusion - when can I skate again?!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 06:05:51 AM »

I broke my pinky in 2020 on my session after 6 months of Winter. So I feel your pain (literally). I took about 3 weeks off so it could heal up. I was incredibly frustrated. Now I only skate shoes that has some protection in that area. I hope it heals up quick for you.
 I threw in a photo of my nasty foot for no good reason.  :)

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 06:28:59 AM »

I broke my pinky in 2020 on my session after 6 months of Winter. So I feel your pain (literally). I took about 3 weeks off so it could heal up. I was incredibly frustrated. Now I only skate shoes that has some protection in that area. I hope it heals up quick for you.

Mine looked worse the first two days. Completely purple and swollen up.

How did yours happen?

I guess I will skate superstars next.

Did you have absolutely no pain after three weeks?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 07:35:00 AM »
I've broken several toes, and they take forever to heal properly. I have done what you did and just started skating as soon as I could. Probably not the best idea. I have also had a broken toe take me out for months and months. digits are the furthest from your heart and so blood flow can be a problem.

I'd wait at least a solid month at this point and wait until the pain is pretty minimal before getting back on board. You have to get some blood flow to that little bugger. Hot/cold compresses...

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 09:41:16 AM »
I've broken several toes, and they take forever to heal properly. I have done what you did and just started skating as soon as I could. Probably not the best idea. I have also had a broken toe take me out for months and months. digits are the furthest from your heart and so blood flow can be a problem.

I'd wait at least a solid month at this point and wait until the pain is pretty minimal before getting back on board. You have to get some blood flow to that little bugger. Hot/cold compresses...

Broken pinky toe too?

What happened when you just skated with a broken toe?

Blood flow increase is a good idea

Three weeks and it’s still pretty swollen.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 01:25:59 PM by SlapMcKracken »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 05:39:44 AM »
Hey dude so check it out. If you can afford it then it's definitely worth getting checked out by a doc. Ive written about this on here before but furing my non-skating junkie days I broke and dislocated the pinky toe on my left (non dominant) foot pretty bad jumping out a window to avoid a probation officer. I obviously didn't get it fixed, and over the years I broke it a couple more times. I would just wrap it up and shoot dope until it stopped hurting.

When I started skating again I realized how much damage I'd actually done because I can't feel that toe or part of the side of my foot at all and it really fucks with me sometimes. It very much affects my skating and I have trouble finding the sides of my board which leads to a lot of aborted takeoffs on scoop tricks. Stuff where you pop straight down isn't as much of a problem, but I have to visually confirm my foot position sometimes.

On the rare occasions I try scooping something switch/nollie (with my right foot) it's always a little weird and slightly jarring to realize how much more I can feel. It's kind of like trying to skate with a slip on vulc on one foot and a turn of the millennium moonboot on the other one.

So yeah it might not ruin your day to day life but if it heals wrong it can long term fuck with you.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 08:30:31 AM »
Hey dude so check it out. If you can afford it then it's definitely worth getting checked out by a doc. Ive written about this on here before but furing my non-skating junkie days I broke and dislocated the pinky toe on my left (non dominant) foot pretty bad jumping out a window to avoid a probation officer. I obviously didn't get it fixed, and over the years I broke it a couple more times. I would just wrap it up and shoot dope until it stopped hurting.

When I started skating again I realized how much damage I'd actually done because I can't feel that toe or part of the side of my foot at all and it really fucks with me sometimes. It very much affects my skating and I have trouble finding the sides of my board which leads to a lot of aborted takeoffs on scoop tricks. Stuff where you pop straight down isn't as much of a problem, but I have to visually confirm my foot position sometimes.

On the rare occasions I try scooping something switch/nollie (with my right foot) it's always a little weird and slightly jarring to realize how much more I can feel. It's kind of like trying to skate with a slip on vulc on one foot and a turn of the millennium moonboot on the other one.

So yeah it might not ruin your day to day life but if it heals wrong it can long term fuck with you.

Damn man. But yours was obviously crooked I guess? Maybe I will see a doctor next week when it’s not better.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 09:01:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Broken pinky toe too?

What happened when you just skated with a broken toe?

Blood flow increase is a good idea

Three weeks and it’s still pretty swollen.

Next one up. Fourth toe down. I had a hiking trip planned the week after I broke it. I was walking 10+ miles a day on it for most of a week. That certainly didn't help. Had a couple of cortisone shots but that's just temporary relief for the most part. It just takes time. Because toes and fingers are the furthest from your heart they don't get as much blood flow. I dislocated a pinky finger also that took forever to heal properly.

Another thing you can do is lay off inflammatory foods, alcohol etc... Diet can play a big part in healing. Maybe find a good ointment, cream, CBD topical etc.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 07:43:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn man. But yours was obviously crooked I guess? Maybe I will see a doctor next week when it’s not better.

It wasn't crooked the first time and I can manually straighten it out with my hands. Since I can't really control it (it will curl a little with the one beside it if I try to gorilla grip something) it just kinda chills there slightly curled up. It doesn't hurt or bother me, and I'm sure if I was younger it wouldn't really slow me down but it's definitely not the same as it was before and that's on me.

Like someone else said, blood flow to your extremities plays a big part in healing. Your toes are basically the furthest thing from your heart, so pumping blood all the way down there and back isn't easy. I had a deeply ingrained  "wrap it up tighter and stop being a baby" mentality from my military time so between that and never getting it properly set it more or less ruined it. They said they can rebreak and properly set it but I probably won't regain sensation or control so I haven't bothered. I don't know if I could handle months of not skating right now.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 09:00:19 PM »
I've broken toes twice. Your foot/ankle needs to be in a cast or boot, whatever the doctors recommend. Bones are often stronger once they've healed. So it's two months of no skating or a lifetime of having a weak toe that will also compromise other areas of your foot and keep getting injured.

empirestateskate

• Rep: -1
  • SKATE OR DIE
    • https://statefootwear.com avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 09:22:16 PM »

Damn been there before dawg hope you are back in action that shit can be fukin rough.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 01:49:25 AM »
Thanks everybody!

Expand Quote

[close]

Damn been there before dawg hope you are back in action that shit can be fukin rough.

How long did it take for you and when did you skate again ?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 02:03:41 AM »
Thanks everybody!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

How long did it take for you and when did you skate again ?

I think the "when can I skate again" question is best for the doc if you're going to go get it checked out. There's usually a decent amount of variation in terms of healing time and I would think the answer will change based on whether there's issues to be managed or it's just a "once it doesn't hurt anymore go for it" thing.

If you're unable to see a Dr then I want to say in terms of pain I would have been able to skate by the 6 week mark. Maybe a bit sooner if I had actually taken care of my body at that time.