Author Topic: Jessyka Bailey Pro for There Skateboards  (Read 3565 times)

Reed Richards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
Jessyka Bailey Pro for There Skateboards
« on: March 06, 2022, 12:59:03 PM »

This makes her the second Black woman ever with a pro board, joining Samarria.

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: Jessyka Bailey Pro for There Skateboards
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 02:27:53 PM »
I voted There a 10 on the coolness poll

Nyjahsnanny

• Rep: -20
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 02:34:17 PM »
Who

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 02:41:05 PM »
Ya absolutely love to see it.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 02:44:57 PM »
as if the world needed more proof that pro status doesn't mean shit these days

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 02:45:17 PM »
Based on what I’ve seen she’s got a sick style, stoked for her and to see the new There video! 

Those premiere photos are heartwarming but also made me kinda sad, because I can’t remember the last time I was in a crowd full of happy people.  Covid times + getting older is a harsh one-two punch :/

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 02:51:31 PM »
Yay! Happy for her. Going pro does mean a lot, it means being supported and being seen. I'm glad she's got this opportunity.

conqueso

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 02:57:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you for very quickly outing yourself as homophobic, transphobic and probably racist by posting one of the stupidest fucking things I’ve read all this year.

Fuck you.

lmao....i am so confused by this interaction

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 03:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you for very quickly outing yourself as homophobic, transphobic and probably racist by posting one of the stupidest fucking things I’ve read all this year.

Fuck you.
[close]

i am so confused by this interaction
I assumed he was saying this is proof being a pro doesn’t mean shit, while saying it about a young person of color being turned pro for a lgbtqia+ company.

conqueso

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 03:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck you.
[close]

[close]
I assumed he was saying this is proof being a pro doesn’t mean shit, while saying it about a young person of color being turned pro for a lgbtqia+ company.

hm....ok tho i never heard of this girl or the company so maybe he hasnt too

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 03:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck you.
[close]

[close]
[close]

hm....ok tho i never heard of this girl or the company so maybe he hasnt too

I agree, however the optics of it weren’t a very good look in my opinion and his post was in poor taste. All things considered my escalation wasn’t exactly warranted, which is why I ended up taking it down. Was already upset about some other bullshit, so I was running a little hot. Appreciate ya, @conqueso.

roomservice

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 03:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck you.
lmao what did I say that was homophobic, transphobic, or racist? All I said was that this person sucks at skating and doesnt deserve pro status. Look at how hard Felipe Nunes goes he doesn't have any fucking feet ffs. All I see this "pro" doing is manuals and flatground switch flips.

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 03:36:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck you.
[close]
lmao what did I say that was homophobic, transphobic, or racist? All I said was that this person sucks at skating and doesnt deserve pro status. Look at how hard Felipe Nunes goes he doesn't have any fucking feet ffs. All I see this "pro" doing is manuals and flatground switch flips.
I'm not going to say that you're phobic, but you are cringe.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 03:40:53 PM »
Well I'm happy for her. Hope to see one in a shop or in the wild some day
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 04:47:35 PM »
She’s got a great switch flip. Congrats for her :-) very wholesome premier photos.

There is one of the cooler brands out now

cky enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2022, 05:39:37 PM »
life is a hell ride pro for newly trademarked skateboards

cky enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 05:41:25 PM »
if anything i can see this as being more relevant then all the other threads that are like “bip wafflehouse pro for Fishtank” and all the responses are people just going “oh weird. never heard of any of this stuff but that’s cool” and one guy going “southeast iowa represent!! skated with bip once for half an hour and we didn’t speak but he seemed cool”

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2022, 06:09:40 PM »
Cool

wil540

• Rep: -13
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2022, 06:47:31 PM »
Inspiring skater. My next deck might be a There board. I wanted to get a Marbie deck for my gf but they sold out.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2022, 07:02:54 PM »
Where?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2022, 07:12:49 PM »
I forget…Are we still shaming people for super-spreader parties or did we move on? 

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2022, 07:25:49 PM »
Stoked on There’s vibe and aesthetics, especially with Jeff Cheung’s artwork - so if Jessyka’s pro model is an 8 that'll likely be my next board.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2022, 08:56:22 PM »
Middle aged skater here & have to admit when I saw this news last night I had a similar gut reaction. But then I remembered that what’s sickest about skateboarding is that it isn’t a competitive sport. That how you contribute to the culture is as, or more, important than the tricks you do. That good skateboarding is skating that makes other people want to skate, & I reckon this girl makes lots of people want to skate. And that’s why she’s pro now. And I quickly went from thinking skating was in a weird spot these days to realizing it’s better than it’s ever been. My next board will be a There. Shane O’Neill still exists if that’s your bag, but skating is so much bigger these days, and better for it.

ps, that said, dude who quickly ran out the “phobia’s” post had me very confused lol. I assume they are young & online way too much.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2022, 09:28:38 PM »
It’s just a company doing marketing stuff, trying to create as many customers for life as they can just like every other company right?

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2022, 09:45:32 PM »
I have a copy of a 1998 interview issue of a Transworld, where all these pros are giving their opinion of the current skate industry.

Almost every interview in that thing has someone complaining about how there's "too many pros these days", that the market was flooded, game was fucked up, "back in 1993 you had to pay your dues", "it doesn't mean anything anymore", etc etc etc.

people have been bitching about this since the beginning of street skateboarding. It seems like a dumb argument in 1998 and it seems like a dumb argument now. it never seems to actually "fuck up the game" or water it down the way people claim it will -- after all, it's 2022 and the industry is still here and the culture is still alive. I think it's a thinly veiled way of screaming into the abyss "i hate change" or "new things are scary" or maybe "i like the existing monopolies"

I think the only criteria to put someone's name on a skateboard should be that the company is stoked on them, and they think that person can sell a few boards to the target demo. Any other criteria for what makes a "real" pro are gonna be either jockish (how many inches high can you ollie) or impossible to define in objective terms (he/she/they paid their """d u e s""")

roomservice

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2022, 10:08:08 PM »
I have a copy of a 1998 interview issue of a Transworld, where all these pros are giving their opinion of the current skate industry.

Almost every interview in that thing has someone complaining about how there's "too many pros these days", that the market was flooded, game was fucked up, "back in 1993 you had to pay your dues", "it doesn't mean anything anymore", etc etc etc.

people have been bitching about this since the beginning of street skateboarding. It seems like a dumb argument in 1998 and it seems like a dumb argument now. it never seems to actually "fuck up the game" or water it down the way people claim it will -- after all, it's 2022 and the industry is still here and the culture is still alive. I think it's a thinly veiled way of screaming into the abyss "i hate change" or "new things are scary" or maybe "i like the existing monopolies"

I think the only criteria to put someone's name on a skateboard should be that the company is stoked on them, and they think that person can sell a few boards to the target demo. Any other criteria for what makes a "real" pro are gonna be either jockish (how many inches high can you ollie) or impossible to define in objective terms (he/she/they paid their """d u e s""")

Should everyone who's currently am or flow be pro then, in your opinion?

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -61
  • eight equals d
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2022, 10:11:28 PM »
Another "pro"
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2022, 10:15:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Should everyone who's currently am or flow be pro then, in your opinion?
Flow should be called am and am should be called semi-pro or just pro. Then pro with pro model is superstar deluxe professional