Author Topic: Muscle fitness/recovery time for old people.  (Read 2653 times)

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Muscle fitness/recovery time for old people.
« on: March 09, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »
I'm closing in on 50 and I work a sedentary job. Started skating again a couple years ago. I routinely get overexcited and end up with sore muscles. Last week I had a couple of sessions where I went hard on ollie's. The muscle on the inner thigh of my front foot is really complaining. I tried not to do too many ollies since Saturday's session but last night I just couldn't stand it and did four or five stationary in the basement and wow that muscle complained.

I've never been terribly athletic or into bodybuilding so I don't have a good concept on how many days in between hard workouts is helpful for building muscle endurance and for muscle recovery.

If you go hard enough to have sore legs the next couple days how many days should you wait before working those muscles again?

Right now that muscle is sore enough it takes the fun out of trying to get higher ollies and that's no good.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
Re: Muscle fitness/recovery time for old people.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 08:08:55 AM »
I have a friend (haven't heard of him in a while actually, hoping he's alright) who's a martial art instructor and bodybuilder all the while having been skating since 1988 and I remember his most optimal 'formula' he had come up with over the years was 90-minute sessions (but intense ones where you never stop or wait) every other three days, so basically one day of skating and then two or three of resting (but in his case really doing different activities). He had literally incorporated his skate time into his training and I remember him always lamenting that skating was so fun, he really wish he could do it a lot more than that and understood why most skaters didn't care.

Personally (only 34) I have learned to feel what my body is telling me on the daily, usually if it's pretty beat up from an intense skate I probably won't skate the next day and use that time to recover, or sometimes I'll skate for the sake of going out there but keep it mellow. Going skating with weak, sore or tired legs is counterproductive, you're only going to get more of that, more easily too and the risk of injury only increases.

You should also try and watch and learn over time which tricks or maneuvers altogether mostly rely on which muscles in your body (one could almost come up with categories for that), and have it be a choice whatever you're doing that day, whether it's intense practice of one move in particular (that in particularly will fry you) or something more casual. You really want to avoid repetition (also because that's more fun) and so develop your own convenient repertoire of maneuvers and ways of doing them in the long run, to keep your sessions varied.

Also please remember to drink water, more of it than you think you need always.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 08:29:01 AM »
For recovery, I usually use calf and knee compression sleeves after heavy sessions, usually following on a warm bath with epsom salt. I try to always stretch and roll out my muscles before and after my sessions. I keep an ultra-dense foam roller and some other massage implements in my living room and I use them to work my body while I watch TV and chill.

I have a stretch routine I use almost daily, which I follow with a short kettlebell workout for core and cardiovascular strength. Lately I’ve started do balancing work, on a balance board and on the foam roller. This really helps with my foot and ankle soreness. I’m at the point now where I can do my entire standing-stretch routine while balancing.

My sincere belief though is that the best thing you can do, if you can afford it, is to hire a personal trainer, a Pilates instructor, start doing Gyrotonic, whatever. Get professional advice from certified instructors, and pay them at least weekly to keep you honest. You don’t even have your trainer forever, but if you build a decent base of fitness you can continue on your own, hiring professionals when needed.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 09:24:15 AM »
Whatever the posts above mentioned - stretching, foam roller, skate muscle specific strengthening

I'll add protein shakes or supplements. You won't go as hard as a 90 minute gym session pumping iron but your legs and calves are worked with pushing and popping your board. You can do a half serving of protein to help you build the muscles and slow the atrophy as we get older.

Recovery wise you can go with a BCCA shake to aid muscle recovery so you can go hard again the next day. I go for the fruit flavored stuff so it taste like a soft drink treat after a hard session, with few calories and sugar.

Load of water too, avoid soda as much as possible.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 09:34:31 AM »
You bring up a good point - diet. If you eat like shit, drink heavily, etc., you will get poor results, and they will get worse as you age. Eating real food and not processed junk or fast food is honestly just as much a part of it, maybe more so, as any other part of perpetration and recovery.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 01:20:45 AM »
Lots of water, avoid the booze, stretch and "warm-down" after a session.

Little and often - skate 30-40 mins a few days a week instead of 3 hour sessions once or twice a week, it'll condition you better and not be as hard on the body.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 05:55:20 AM »
none of these dudes mention sleep but sleep is the most important part of the puzzle. you can stretch your ass off but if you aren’t getting enough sleep you’re fucked.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
I am 36 and rock climb at an above average but not professional level. I find the big issue with recovering from skating is limiting hefty pop tricks somewhat. One day I did like 2 hours of kickflips trying to perfect them and pop them higher and it absolutely roasted me. On the other hand just popping onto ledges doesn't seem to impact me as much so I have to balance sessions out a bit.

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 01:08:09 PM »
none of these dudes mention sleep but sleep is the most important part of the puzzle. you can stretch your ass off but if you aren’t getting enough sleep you’re fucked.
I think this is the biggest thing people ignore in general. It feels like it’s almost normal for most people, myself included, to be sleep deprived which is fucked.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 05:16:09 PM »
I am 36 and rock climb at an above average but not professional level. I find the big issue with recovering from skating is limiting hefty pop tricks somewhat. One day I did like 2 hours of kickflips trying to perfect them and pop them higher and it absolutely roasted me. On the other hand just popping onto ledges doesn't seem to impact me as much so I have to balance sessions out a bit.

Absolutely, I can skate a ledge and rail for hours and be fine. But when I decide to end my session with 10 solid kickflips (with as many tries as necessary) the soreness hits much harder the next day.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 08:41:31 PM »
yo homie. i'm only 36 but I've experienced many injuries that have kept me off the board for months to years at a time. After close to 8 or 10 years off, I've been back on the board for 18 or so months, with a good 5 month break in there due to ligament damage in the R ankle.

Sedentary life will ruin you. Your spine, hips, and the fascia that holds it all together while bind up. making things a lot more sore than they need to be. so MOVEMENT is key. shake things up by jumping rope or doing jumping jacks for a start.

For me the key is to build stamina- I don't generally skate every day nor do I skate for hours on end, usually just 1.5-2.5 hours of relatively low impact skating, but lots of popping around and over shit. the best way to build stamina, in my experience is to JOG. seriously, don't think about "running" or going fast or doing distance, just get a decent pair of running shoes, pick a set, flat route, and do it every other day. I do a mile, the same damn route, 5 days a week. Although I can most definitely run further and for longer times now, I still do my daily mile with a speed increase. Been doing it since last May or June and it's what's helped me get my pop back so quickly.

you don't need to go hard, but you need to go often. light calf and ankle stretches are great too, heel raises and drops before and after the job do a ton of work.

Last, you've got to flush your body. Drink hella water, man. Eat relatively clean and watch out for inflammatory foods.

@life is a hell ride is spot on about sleep too.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 10:28:08 AM »
49yo desk jockey here and agree with all of the above.  Water, sleep, real food and avoid refined sugars as much as possible.  Moderate everything that inhibits recovery.  The only thing I don't do is stretch but I do use a massage gun before and after sessions. 

For me, this winter has been all about a 1.5hr session on Saturdays and a ~3hr session on Sundays and I only stop every half hour or so for water.  By Wednesday my legs are ready to go again but can't due to lack of light and dry ground.  I also try to limit trick attempts to 20 each to avoid abusing any one group of muscles, and more importantly, frustration.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2022, 10:29:29 AM »
Lots of good advice here, on thing I would add is doing a “recovery activity” the following day.  In cycling the day after a big ride people go on recovery rides where the time and effort on the bike is pretty light.  This serves to get blood flow to the sore muscles and flush out built up lactic acid.

So I think a chill session of just doing some manuals, pump a bowl, or ride a bike or hike the following day could help.  Also, tendon and joint soreness may require more rest than just muscle soreness.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2022, 09:31:24 PM »
Sore muscle = weak muscle. Start of easy with bodyweight exercises and build from there

I started doing these when this was first posted and haven't looked back. Slams only hurt for a day now and it's only been 4 months. I mostly just do the first 6 exercises 2 to 3 times a week. I'm pushing 50 as well

Zero
Zero weights needed. Zero equipment needed. Zero need to work through pain. Zero special abilities needed to start. Welcome to Knee Ability Zero. The following formula can be done 3 days per week, ideally Monday-Wednesday-Friday to allow 48 hours recovery between sessions.

WARM-UP: 5-10 MINUTES MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY
Reverse Out Knee Pain

LOWER BODY FLOW: MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY

Step 1: Tibialis Raise 25 reps

Step 2: FHL Calf Raise 25 reps

Step 3: Tibialis Raise 25 reps

Step 4: KOT Calf Raise 25 reps

Step 5: Patrick Step 25 reps

Step 6: ATG Split Squat 5 x 5 sets per leg

Troubleshooting Split Squats

Step 7: Elephant Walk 30 reps per leg

Step 8: L-Sit 60 second’s total

Step 9: Couch Stretch 60 sec. per side

MOBILITY & UPPER BODY FLOW: TUESDAY-THURSDAY: 1-3 ROUNDS OF EACH

Calf Stretch x 60 Sec Each

Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec Each

Outer Glute Stretch x 60 Sec Each

Groin Stretch x 60 Sec

Inner Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec

Also set a timer for 30 to 40 minutes at you desk and then stand up for 10 to twenty, walk around the building

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1592
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2022, 10:15:16 PM »
Really great thread; this information is so important
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2022, 01:04:31 AM »
Basically all of the above. You probably won‘t have to do all of that stuff though. I have a friend about your age who still skates regularly and has a job in IT. He‘s really good at sensing when he needs to chill for a few days or even a week and he skates 2 to 3 times a week. He also rides his bike to work which gives him about one hour of mellow cycling every work day.

I am 37 and I have tried all the things mentioned in this thread and I still regularly get overexcited and end up having to take a week or so off. Last weekend I fucked up my back trying Fakie switch front nose for an hour. I can still feel it but I had a mellow session five days after which at least didn’t make it worse. I probably would have been better to just rest though…

Be good to yourself and work with your body and not against it!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 02:11:23 AM »
Couple of other things:
1) running is great for intense cardio but can be killer on the knees and ankles because of the impact. I'm not a fan of distance runs because the boredom kills me, so I do sprints. I clock less distance but get my heart rate up to 90% of max.
2) A good alternative is skipping, great for calf, quads and hamstrings. Lower impact too since you're hopping on the spot instead of stomping on asphalt.
3) Don't cheap out on shoes, get some quality Asics, Nikes or New Balance ones that fit your arch profile and run intensity.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »
get a bike. ride to work everyday.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2022, 01:20:06 PM »
Sore muscle = weak muscle. Start of easy with bodyweight exercises and build from there

I started doing these when this was first posted and haven't looked back. Slams only hurt for a day now and it's only been 4 months. I mostly just do the first 6 exercises 2 to 3 times a week. I'm pushing 50 as well

Expand Quote
Zero
Zero weights needed. Zero equipment needed. Zero need to work through pain. Zero special abilities needed to start. Welcome to Knee Ability Zero. The following formula can be done 3 days per week, ideally Monday-Wednesday-Friday to allow 48 hours recovery between sessions.

Reverse Out Knee Pain

LOWER BODY FLOW: MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY

Step 1: Tibialis Raise 25 reps

Step 2: FHL Calf Raise 25 reps

Step 3: Tibialis Raise 25 reps

Step 4: KOT Calf Raise 25 reps

Step 5: Patrick Step 25 reps

Step 6: ATG Split Squat 5 x 5 sets per leg

Troubleshooting Split Squats

Step 7: Elephant Walk 30 reps per leg

Step 8: L-Sit 60 second’s total

Step 9: Couch Stretch 60 sec. per side

MOBILITY & UPPER BODY FLOW: TUESDAY-THURSDAY: 1-3 ROUNDS OF EACH

Calf Stretch x 60 Sec Each

Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec Each

Outer Glute Stretch x 60 Sec Each

Groin Stretch x 60 Sec

Inner Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec

[close]

Also set a timer for 30 to 40 minutes at you desk and then stand up for 10 to twenty, walk around the building

I've been doing these every day for the past three months. Can't recommend it enough. The difference in pain/flexibility has been huge. He offers a subscription-based PT program for $50 a month. Proceeds go to a certain church in California. Best not to give your money to a cult and just film yourself and compare it to the videos above as this is the 50$ program to a T.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2022, 05:35:21 PM »
I've been doing these every day for the past three months. Can't recommend it enough. The difference in pain/flexibility has been huge. He offers a subscription-based PT program for $50 a month. Proceeds go to a certain church in California. Best not to give your money to a cult and just film yourself and compare it to the videos above as this is the 50$ program to a T.

Does that mean we're gonna see him on a Berries video training Koston, Malto and Chris Cobra Cole

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2022, 09:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does that mean we're gonna see him on a Berries video training Koston, Malto and Chris Cobra Cole

Are they all Xenu-fearing men as well? I thought it was just Borra?
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2022, 09:47:50 PM »

^This.

Regular bike riding has done wonders for my old man knees/legs. It's good "cross training."

I also recommend riding a fixed gear (with at least a front brake) because the constant motion of the legs required helps with flexibility/suppleness of leg muscles and tendons. They also work more muscles of the legs/core than a freewheeled bike.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2022, 10:10:29 PM »
Go swim. Work your whole body, low impact. Also great for warming up and recovery.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2022, 12:57:17 AM »
Go swim. Work your whole body, low impact. Also great for warming up and recovery.

Asthma too - in Asia all the doctors tell parent to get their kid swimming to "treat" their asthma
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2022, 08:23:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^This.

Regular bike riding has done wonders for my old man knees/legs. It's good "cross training."

I also recommend riding a fixed gear (with at least a front brake) because the constant motion of the legs required helps with flexibility/suppleness of leg muscles and tendons. They also work more muscles of the legs/core than a freewheeled bike.

The bike has actually caused all my knee problems. To be fair I was riding ~300 miles a week. Things got way too tight from inadequate stretching, which caused patellofemoral syndrome, in turn permanently inflaming my plica. After three years of not being able to skate/ride my bike, I had to get scoped and the plica was cut back. The couch stretch is the most important stretch for most front of the knee pain. Learn from my stupid mistakes and stretch those quads out religiously. It started as a nagging pain I ignored until it was too late. Worse pain I've experienced in my life. It was worse than breaking my ankle or having my elbow bone pop out, because it was 24/7 chronic pain.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2022, 02:25:46 PM »
Lots of good advice here, on thing I would add is doing a “recovery activity” the following day.  In cycling the day after a big ride people go on recovery rides where the time and effort on the bike is pretty light.  This serves to get blood flow to the sore muscles and flush out built up lactic acid.

So I think a chill session of just doing some manuals, pump a bowl, or ride a bike or hike the following day could help.  Also, tendon and joint soreness may require more rest than just muscle soreness.

Sorta amusing anecdote: that is not really why pros started doing recovery rides and there isn't actual solid evidence to support the standard reasons given for recovery rides.

In the early 90's when EPO was huge cyclists had to constantly move and exercise to keep their hemaglobin values in check and not die. There are stories of guys having to walk up and down the stairs of their hotels in the middle of the night and have blood extracted, diluted, and reinfused because it got so thick.

Fast forward a few years and Michele Ferrari and some of the Mapei coaches found out that lower stress aerobic rides could help stabilize other blood and hormone parameters as well. The rides were a great time to take diuretics and masking agents so you could excrete compounds and take more aggressive, but short acting beta agonists. In more modern times it would keep a lot of the blood parameters checked in the biological passport in order even if said parameters had nothing to do with recovery. Pros didn't just go out for an hour like an average Joe, they might actually do coffee rides for several hours at insanely boring paces.

Recovery rides can feel nice, but lactic acid isn't just sitting in your muscles. Lactate is a byproduct and transport substrate and cleared from cells relatively quickly. Soreness is often from that process.

Source: Friends that are have been pro on the domestic pro and World Tour level as well as a current World Tour level exercise physiologist.

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2022, 03:34:24 PM »

Expand Quote
Zero

Reverse Out Knee Pain

[close]

Wow, these are great! Thank you so much

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »
I was gonna speak some words on this but then youtube said here so I went

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2022, 07:57:56 AM »
What's the rest protocol for mid twenties? No rest? Or do people recommend one day on and one day off like bodybuilders do?

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2022, 10:47:52 AM »
What's the rest protocol for mid twenties? No rest? Or do people recommend one day on and one day off like bodybuilders do?

You need to know your body, everybody's different. If you feel that you can keep going then keep going, you might find that it works best to rest every 3rd day

Make sure you're getting enough good sleep and plenty of good nutrition

Now are we talking skating everyday or working out. I wish I could skate everyday but I get 3 sessions a week if I'm lucky
For working out I do an upper body/lower body split 6 days a week (I have a gym at work) but within that realm I still have easy/light days. If i'm in pain I do a different exercise for that muscle if I'm having discomfort it usually goes away on the next set. Understand mind muscle connection and yes get plenty of rest, your muscle builds and gets stronger when you take a break (never longer than 5 days) and when you're sleeping

Can't stress it enough nutrition and sleep, sleep and nutrition

Start easy and build from there, consistency is more important then how much you can do

This is the same advice I would give someone that is 14 or 50