Author Topic: Muscle fitness/recovery time for old people.  (Read 2648 times)

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
Re: Muscle fitness/recovery time for old people.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2022, 06:27:13 PM »
Expand Quote
What's the rest protocol for mid twenties? No rest? Or do people recommend one day on and one day off like bodybuilders do?
[close]

You need to know your body, everybody's different. If you feel that you can keep going then keep going, you might find that it works best to rest every 3rd day

Make sure you're getting enough good sleep and plenty of good nutrition

Now are we talking skating everyday or working out. I wish I could skate everyday but I get 3 sessions a week if I'm lucky
For working out I do an upper body/lower body split 6 days a week (I have a gym at work) but within that realm I still have easy/light days. If i'm in pain I do a different exercise for that muscle if I'm having discomfort it usually goes away on the next set. Understand mind muscle connection and yes get plenty of rest, your muscle builds and gets stronger when you take a break (never longer than 5 days) and when you're sleeping

Can't stress it enough nutrition and sleep, sleep and nutrition

Start easy and build from there, consistency is more important then how much you can do

This is the same advice I would give someone that is 14 or 50

I'll try the 3 day split. Tbh i didn't have knee pains until i started using ultracush without my FPs on top. Recently was able to get em to fit after breaking in. Hope that does the trick.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2022, 06:46:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
get a bike. ride to work everyday.
[close]

^This.

Regular bike riding has done wonders for my old man knees/legs. It's good "cross training."

I also recommend riding a fixed gear (with at least a front brake) because the constant motion of the legs required helps with flexibility/suppleness of leg muscles and tendons. They also work more muscles of the legs/core than a freewheeled bike.
[close]

The bike has actually caused all my knee problems. To be fair I was riding ~300 miles a week. Things got way too tight from inadequate stretching, which caused patellofemoral syndrome, in turn permanently inflaming my plica. After three years of not being able to skate/ride my bike, I had to get scoped and the plica was cut back. The couch stretch is the most important stretch for most front of the knee pain. Learn from my stupid mistakes and stretch those quads out religiously. It started as a nagging pain I ignored until it was too late. Worse pain I've experienced in my life. It was worse than breaking my ankle or having my elbow bone pop out, because it was 24/7 chronic pain.

Sorry to hear about that.

Totally agree that biking, or overdoing any one exercise, can definitely cause imbalances and stretching is crucial. I wish I could talk to my stupid younger self to impart the importance of adequate, regular stretching - especially my quads!
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2022, 07:50:08 PM »
Seconded on getting sufficient sleep, since COVID happened my wife and I have been sleeping later. We used to get to bed by 12, but dragged to 1 or 2am, 3am when Animal Crossing was out, getting somewhere between 5-7 hours a night.

Recently made a pact to sleep by 12 and avoid coffee after 12pm and we are sleeping much better. Feeling way less tired throughout the day and less sore.

Regarding a regime for 20 year olds - wouldn't hurt to eat right, do your strength and conditioning, stretching and sleeping right, older you will thank you for taking care of yourself. I would add that you should take time off to rest and properly rehab when injured, your youth wont last forever and stacking up injuries is a sure fire way to be groaning in pain every morning.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2022, 03:57:37 PM »
45.  Core is soft. 

I finally said fuck it and got a personal trainer.  I’ve only skated so having someone teach me the machines and get me on a regimen has been helpful.   Also paying for it has me getting to the gym 430-500 am.  Which is a nice routine. 

Coming back from a foot injury and low back pain for ever.

Figured I’d throw out there, what are some of you doing for post skate nutrition? I’m finding when I’m not feeling it I have zero pop / terrible execution. No strength or energy.  Timing is shit.  I need to find ways to get some energy back more consistently.  I’m skating 2 days a week sometimes 3 when im healthy. Gym 2 days a week. 

Edit : spelling
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 10:52:11 PM by Lessfillingtastegreat »
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2022, 08:32:20 PM »
I find that sometimes it's good to abstain from heavy physical activity for a few weeks to really recover. A lot of us have the idea that more exercise is better. If I hit the gym 2-3 times a week I find that I can probably only skate two sessions max on top of that and I'm pretty fit with good eating habits. But then again I prioritize general strength and conditiong over skating these days. Skating is really rough on the joints and I wanna be able to do different physical activities beyond 60yo.