Author Topic: Reedsport, OR  (Read 661 times)

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 160
Reedsport, OR
« on: March 18, 2022, 12:16:09 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but has anyone here done the Reedsport loop? Know or see anyone do it? I’ve been obsessing over it for a while now and am going to head down there this summer and give it a shot. I read somewhere that like 15 people did it in a single day at a contest in 2006.

For anyone that has done it, is it pretty much the same as getting upside down in a cradle?

Frank and Fred

Re: Reedsport, OR
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 12:40:09 PM »
I believe only a dozen or so people have done that thing including Red and Kowalski.

Have you been there? It's pretty fucked. I've gone over-vert in a few cradles but would never consider looping that funnel.

Let me know when you, love to shoot a photo!

bombsaway86

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 01:00:21 PM »
I believe only a dozen or so people have done that thing including Red and Kowalski.

Have you been there? It's pretty fucked. I've gone over-vert in a few cradles but would never consider looping that funnel.

Let me know when you, love to shoot a photo!

I’ve never been there. I have one friend who did it back when the Oregon trifecta contests were going on (I think that was 2006 also). He said the hardest part is just getting over the fear and you really have to fuck up to fall from 12 o clock.

Do you live around there? I live in Seattle

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 04:37:30 PM »
I live in Portland but I drive down the Oregon coast several times a year. Pretty sick, your friend got it. Good luck!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 04:42:50 PM »

bombsaway86

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:54:03 PM »
https://youtu.be/UHvCm6tDGk4

This is the worst one I’ve seen. Same day my buddy looped it, said the guy broke his collar bone.

Frank Shaw recently did it and his bails didn’t look bad at all. There’s a Scram video too where Chris Cope(?) does it and his bails weren’t bad either. Seems like most people slide out on the way down.

I’m a nerd with no life beyond skateboarding if you can’t tell

Frank and Fred

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 10:03:09 AM »
You could warm up in the Newport loop on the way down. 4mins 5secs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiQve2uJHg8

bombsaway86

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 10:14:48 AM »
Newport loop is part of the plan. I plan on hitting Pacific City, Lincoln City, Newport, Waldport, Florence, and Reedsport. Lots of oververt to warm up to the loop

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 02:06:13 PM »
I’ve got two friends who I would say theoretically speaking had the skills to do the Reedsport loop who both said “no thanks” when they saw it in person.

How about the Brookings gap? Anyone here ever step to that one?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »
Nope but I think I'd try the Brookings gap before the Reedsport loop. Between the legs safety grab.

Alas, that ship has sailed. I do like to skate inside that pool though.

Stuhfy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
    • YouTube avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 05:53:13 PM »
I’ve got two friends who I would say theoretically speaking had the skills to do the Reedsport loop who both said “no thanks” when they saw it in person.

How about the Brookings gap? Anyone here ever step to that one?

Brookings gap is kind of nutty!! I drove 2 hours recently just to go check it out and for me its the pool that makes it the most terrifying

bombsaway86

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 12:57:47 PM »
Finally made it down to Reedsport but chickened out on attempting the loop. My cradle skills are not quite there. I can hit 11 o’clock in a cradle after a few warmup laps, but Reedsport is like hitting 11:45 with no room to warm up. It would have been cool if it was rounded of a little at the end, like a cradle with a doorway. That would have allowed a little room to work up to it, but I guess that’s what separates the men from the boys.

Aside from that, Lincoln City was fucking epic, no further explanation needed.

Waldport and Florence were both pretty crusty. I made it over the parabloid at Waldport and the doorway at Florence, but I really had to fight for the speed to do both. They are way bigger than they look in pictures

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 06:18:35 AM »
That’s awesome you finally checked that stuff out!

How easy are the hips and launch ramp stuff on the Lincoln City snake run? I always watch video and think that stuff looks like a blast but it’s probably a different game when you’re barreling down a hill. Is the oldest section fun or super crusty?

I was out in the Seattle area about 16 years ago and even then some of the older parks like Bainbridge were kinda crusty. Like, they were smooth enough to ride on but the finish of the concrete had become like sandpaper and I was terrified of getting chewed up.

bombsaway86

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 07:42:23 AM »
That’s awesome you finally checked that stuff out!

How easy are the hips and launch ramp stuff on the Lincoln City snake run? I always watch video and think that stuff looks like a blast but it’s probably a different game when you’re barreling down a hill. Is the oldest section fun or super crusty?

I was out in the Seattle area about 16 years ago and even then some of the older parks like Bainbridge were kinda crusty. Like, they were smooth enough to ride on but the finish of the concrete had become like sandpaper and I was terrified of getting chewed up.

The snake run to big qp and the downhill track are both scary fast. You don’t need to try for speed on them. I didn’t really push it on the jumps since I’m old and my knees hurt, but it’s easy to blast with the amount of speed you get. The oldest section is crusty, but still totally skateable