Author Topic: Does anyone like the xlk "cupsole" from lakai?  (Read 1909 times)

IpathCats

Does anyone like the xlk "cupsole" from lakai?
« on: March 19, 2022, 05:33:08 AM »
Was stoked on the re release of the Telfords, but when I got them I quickly realized that the xlk "cupsole" was basically just a vulc. Super mushy and thin. Saw the trudgers, got hyped on those, heard they changed the xlk sole a bit so I decided to try them out. Still super thin and mushy. What I want to know is, does anyone that likes cupsole shoes actually enjoy skating these xlk soles? They are a total letdown to me, and ruined two shoes that I would have otherwise really enjoyed.

Edit: for reference I think the AJ1 sole is damn near perfect.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:29:48 AM by IpathCats »

Doosh215

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 61
Re: Does anyone like the xlk "cupsole" from lakai?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 07:32:05 AM »
You're not alone, there's a lot of people with that same sentiment about them. I personally really like them because the board feel is great, and that's really all I care about. But yeah I wouldn't jump down anything in them, not that I'm jumping down big stuff anyway. I posted this before, but they're coming out with a Telford low colorway that uses the Atlantic sole instead. I think it's a pretty nice colorway for that shoe too.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 08:23:47 AM »
I'm not a fan of the board feel of the sole. but also the upper is also not very durable. It's a nice shoe looking shoe. It seems to do well at my local. The go skate day color ways sold out. I think the proto sole on the kids shoe is cooler though.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 08:30:29 AM »
I can’t even wear them, they’re too narrow. And my ishods fit fine. Says a lot.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 08:36:41 AM »
Lil funny cos I remember people (myself included) liking the og Telford's because the sole was kind of soft compared to other shoes of the time. I liked them more than my Jordan 1s but that might of been I was just psyched to have real skate shoes

ridethegutter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
I am currently wearing the Atlantics. I actually like the soles. The feel somewhat in between a vulc and a cupsole. My favorite cupsoles have been the Tyshawns. Those feel good and last forever. Not a fan of the lows though. The new Telfords with the Atlantic sole look sweet!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 11:38:00 AM »
+1 for the Atlantic. I love that shoe. But i also don't jump down more as 4 stairs.
IG: @flowterspace

IpathCats

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 07:22:47 PM »
Forgot I even started this thread, bumping because I've skated my trudgers a bit now. The sole feels a little better than the telfords I had from the first batch of reissues (got the black Sabbath Riley ones). Still not a proper cupsole, but it's ok if you're not jumping down shit.  However, these shoes seem to be falling apart super fast. 3 sessions in and they look like a pair of 1's I've been skating for at least a month.

Really wish lakai would pull it together, they have a lot of good designs. Their quality just does not reflect the price at all. Make a shoe that holds up like a $90 shoe should, or lower the dang price. If they were $65-70 I'd have no complaints. They should really stop using that big ass flare logo too, the small one would look better 99% of the time.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 07:37:21 PM »
Forgot I even started this thread, bumping because I've skated my trudgers a bit now. The sole feels a little better than the telfords I had from the first batch of reissues (got the black Sabbath Riley ones). Still not a proper cupsole, but it's ok if you're not jumping down shit.  However, these shoes seem to be falling apart super fast. 3 sessions in and they look like a pair of 1's I've been skating for at least a month.

Really wish lakai would pull it together, they have a lot of good designs. Their quality just does not reflect the price at all. Make a shoe that holds up like a $90 shoe should, or lower the dang price. If they were $65-70 I'd have no complaints. They should really stop using that big ass flare logo too, the small one would look better 99% of the time.

As frustrating as a skateboard company gets.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 09:12:52 PM »
Would be a shame if Lakai sent me a box to try and give a review #SkaterOwned #SamSmythDontBeStingy
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

IpathCats

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 04:54:52 AM »

for real, i want to give you guys my money, stop making it so hard. My feet hurt like crazy this morning too, anecdotal i know, just figured i would mention it. Been skating 1's with the 5 to 3 mm footprints for a year or so now, huge difference in how my feet feel this morning after skating yesterday in the trudgers vs how they normally do.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 06:15:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

for real, i want to give you guys my money, stop making it so hard. My feet hurt like crazy this morning too, anecdotal i know, just figured i would mention it. Been skating 1's with the 5 to 3 mm footprints for a year or so now, huge difference in how my feet feel this morning after skating yesterday in the trudgers vs how they normally do.

Jordan 1s are as good of a skate shoe as I’ve had.

IpathCats

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 06:24:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Jordan 1s are as good of a skate shoe as I’ve had.

Havent found anything that works better for me

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 08:18:27 AM »
I like the sole on the new carrols but the telfords have a pretty bag sole imo. Far too thin. Honestly just an awful shoe

IpathCats

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 09:18:49 AM »
I like the sole on the new carrols but the telfords have a pretty bag sole imo. Far too thin. Honestly just an awful shoe

Says the carrol is an xlk too? maybe just a different version

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 10:29:57 AM »
I think all of their cupsoles are called 'XLK.' 'XLK' is just their branded term to indicate that the shoe is a cupsole, and does not refer to any specific individual sole unit. As far as I know, the 'this sole is too thin/soft/shitty' critique applies to all of them, though.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 10:31:32 AM »
I like the Lakai Atlantic's a lot. I also don't jump down more than 4 stairs. I wouldn't call them a cupsole, more like a more padded vulc shoe. But they are good to go right outta the box.

The newer Telford versions will come with the same outsole as the Atlantic. Which is way better as what was on them before.

The Lakai Brighton feels more like a real cupsole and they are quiet stiff and hard in the beginning. And I would recommend to go half a size up with them.

Manchester XLK were pretty good shoes, but I haven't seen them in a while. Regular Manchester's feel a bit floppy and soft after a while.
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 05:45:05 AM »

I agree. I have to say that I got some Lakai Cambridge for free, and while they were a great shoe, I was really disappointed by how quickly the sole wore through. Easily twice as fast as it takes me to wear through a pair of Vans or Nikes. This is a huge bummer, I’d happily skate these if they were even slightly more durable. Now I have a pair of Lakai which look like new but which have one sole completely blown out.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Jonny7.5Alive

• Rep: 87
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 10:52:40 AM »
Yeah they're sick

IpathCats

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 10:53:33 AM »

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 05:10:37 PM »
ive only had one pair of lakais ever, which were a pair of Guy Mariano XLKs from like 2012 or something I got on clearance but I had the same issue. Sole was so thin it hurt to skate flat ground. I'm a broken man and need thick soles these days, but I genuinely felt less pain in a pair of regular vans than those Lakais. Bummed out the Telfords because I'm on my last pair of SB Dunks that I got cheap before the prices sky rocketed. 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
got a free pair once and didnt love em
tbf they were going up against dunks at the time
didnt meet my need for a cushy cupsole but i can see the appeal
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

IpathCats

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 05:24:34 AM »
ive only had one pair of lakais ever, which were a pair of Guy Mariano XLKs from like 2012 or something I got on clearance but I had the same issue. Sole was so thin it hurt to skate flat ground. I'm a broken man and need thick soles these days, but I genuinely felt less pain in a pair of regular vans than those Lakais. Bummed out the Telfords because I'm on my last pair of SB Dunks that I got cheap before the prices sky rocketed.

this. they're so thin, and the insole is nothing special. vans pros/skate/whatever they're calling them this month, have more impact protection. I'm not a hucker or anything, and i still notice it just jumping up euro gaps and up/down ledges.