Author Topic: things you do 2 fit in  (Read 6712 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
things you do 2 fit in
« on: March 19, 2022, 06:14:34 PM »
what're some of the pals moves to fit in at a new park/ scene? Tonight, I hit the nicotine vape pen of someone close to half my age, pretty sure it was an HQD, and found myself saying, "let's go," even though I'm in my early 30s. I asked one kid if he knew who Steamer was, he said no, and I asked a chick sk8r who was trying tre flips if she has ever seen Mark Appleyard do one in 2001.... She also said no.

Pals, if you were in your early to mid 30s and were at a new skatepark, what would you do to fit in? Are you as broken as me and need validation from children? If not, why not? If so, why haven't you healed from your trauma?

PS - you're never gonna make it

PPS - hang it up.

Looking back on it, I probably should have just left.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
Re: things you do 2 fit in
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 07:50:59 PM »
roll around the park once and then stand in the corner feeling awkward for 20 minutes psyching myself up to 5050 the small ledge

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 07:55:20 PM »
“Yew”

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 07:57:08 PM »
snap my fingers to get a fist bump

highly ashamed of this

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 08:05:23 PM »
Get hungry on it.

Just find an obstacle you can skate half decent and get to work. Once you knock out your warm up tricks and legs are telling you they are working today, find another thing you want to work on.

If the kids want to talk to you, let them unless you don't want to. If you're not there having fun, I would think you're a narc.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »
I was at the shrimp blunt premiere and someone did a trick. The teenager next to me said “xxxx did it better”.  I agreed. Even tho I didn’t hear who he was talking about. 

I honestly didn’t even know what the trick was. 

At the skate park I don’t really care.  I don’t need validation. I just skate.   It’s seems like the more washed rippers have more attitude than the youngins.  I was at a park with what looked like a post frozen in carbonite version of Brian Delatorre, same kit and man bun, was not saying a word just smirking at people as he rode by trying some nose blunt variation on the quarter pipe.   That’s dude was lame AF.  The occasional, everyone is getting g in my way look.  Dude was lame. Only because of his BS Vibe not because of the 20011 kit and man bun. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 08:43:38 PM »
i am guilty of using the terms "of", "mud", and "shalom"

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 08:52:51 PM »
I show up to my local with raw shrimp and a blunt, place the shrimp on it and just yell “pew pew skreeeeeeee!”

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 08:57:56 PM »
Leave

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 09:15:38 PM »
The second  I open my mouth I kook it so it is imperative that I remain silent.  Also

You a stupid ass bitch

dannyprovolone

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 01:15:55 AM »
Roll a ‘shrimp blunt’

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 01:22:21 AM »
Absolutely don't try to fit in at all anymore and actually try to skate when no one's around. But tactic for when I was young was just talk to people like you've already been talking to them for a couple of hours. Skip the awkward start part. Obviously this can backfire but those people are probably assholes anyway

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 03:19:08 AM »
I usually go directly to the ten stair rail and do a sw flip back lip down it first try. Then everyone wants to be my friend.

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 17
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 05:44:33 AM »
I recently bought a Dewalt portable boom box that's got the Bluetooth connection password protected. When I show up to a park I throw my tunes on full blast. Normally the kids stare at me for a few minutes and call me crazy. Take a few runs, sometimes they like what I'm playing, sometimes they request some of their music (Never grant the first request).

The music playing throughout the park changes the whole vibe. People start opening up more and talking, both amongst themselves and to you, for better or worse. This seems better than just plugging my headphones in and not speaking until I'm done skating.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: -4
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 05:54:23 AM »
I recently bought a Dewalt portable boom box that's got the Bluetooth connection password protected. When I show up to a park I throw my tunes on full blast. Normally the kids stare at me for a few minutes and call me crazy. Take a few runs, sometimes they like what I'm playing, sometimes they request some of their music (Never grant the first request).

The music playing throughout the park changes the whole vibe. People start opening up more and talking, both amongst themselves and to you, for better or worse. This seems better than just plugging my headphones in and not speaking until I'm done skating.

everyone at the park probably hates you for this

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 06:05:52 AM »
I feel like the park is the place you don’t want to fit in at. Just be cool and say what’s up/acknowledge anyone else. Parks are for warming up and learning new shit. Business only.

Spectre

• Rep: -40
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 06:15:33 AM »
I used to share my beer thinking it was a nice thing to do out of camraderie and if one day i needed it they would hook me up too. Was not the case they turned out to be leeches who did mind sharing.

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 06:16:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah... A guy showed up and busted out a speaker when it was just me and one other guy there.

I don't know what music they were playing, but it was like a bad 2010s folk rock band with Imagine Dragons pop-rock production. It was very annoyingly bland and boring, made worse by it being on a tinny sounding speaker too.

If you're going to play something, at least play something interesting. Not bad 2010s radio rock.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 06:37:44 AM »
Introduce yourself as “Benedict Thundersnatch”, disappear for a moment only to emerge naked on your skateboard. Get in everyone’s way and say “did I do THAAAATTTT???” as a really bad Steve Urkel impression.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 06:40:58 AM »
I mock terms that people use and say non PC things a lot. I do not fit in and people don't like me.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2022, 06:47:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pull up and put on the panera bread official in store playlist

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2022, 07:20:30 AM »
You bring a medium-sized bag of really nice pears and you share your pears. And if anyone complains the pear is a mild fruit well-suited to the coward's palette, you smash all your pears on the ground and ask them who's the coward now?! Everyone knows this.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2022, 07:36:23 AM »
Figure out which youth is the leader, focus their board. Never show fear.

Also “are those mini logo trucks? That’s what Andy Anderson rides”

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2022, 08:07:52 AM »
I’m also 30 I just want to be left alone. I hate being mid trick and people start doing the yew or clapping that shit drives me insane.

Fuck ur music get some EarPods

I usually bring extra old gear cuz there’s always that rando kid with the jankiest set up. I guess this is my one way of fitting in but it’s more just guilt of having so much shit while others have nothing I don’t care if the person I give the shit to likes me. The last board I gave to this super annoying kid that always complains about being broke but when I bring him job applications to places he’s like nah man fuck that

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2022, 08:30:48 AM »
I feel like the park is the place you don’t want to fit in at. Just be cool and say what’s up/acknowledge anyone else. Parks are for warming up and learning new shit. Business only.

why would anyone whos not pro approach skating as a business

that is the most regular thing i have heard on this forum so far

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2022, 08:35:54 AM »

Fuck youuuuuuuuuu.

Even if you were blasting my favorite tunes I don’t want to be unwillingly exposed to other peoples bullshit, feels like assault. Let me and everyone else skate in peace you god damn Neanderthal.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2022, 08:47:43 AM »

Hey Jeff, go fuck yourself.

I’m also 30 I just want to be left alone. I hate being mid trick and people start doing the yew or clapping that shit drives me insane.

I usually bring extra old gear cuz there’s always that rando kid with the jankiest set up. I guess this is my one way of fitting in but it’s more just guilt of having so much shit while others have nothing I don’t care if the person I give the shit to likes me. The last board I gave to this super annoying kid that always complains about being broke but when I bring him job applications to places he’s like nah man fuck that
Man, this is fucking weird.

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2022, 08:53:36 AM »

u bring job applications to the skatepark

holy fuckin' shit

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2022, 09:27:21 AM »
i ask who the new hot shit skater is even though i dont care
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2022, 09:39:53 AM »
And what’d you do when she’s better than you?