Author Topic: Box Building Thread  (Read 876 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Box Building Thread
« on: March 22, 2022, 07:24:28 AM »
Hi Slap
I built a box in the past and the wood i used peeled fairly quickly on the top. I don't remember what type of wood I used - it was just some shit from home depot we drilled down to some 2x4's. It started peeling fairly quickly. There must be something that sktaeparks use that doesnt peel as easily. Is this skate lite? how / where would i get this?

The actual main question I am wondering is what is the best type of angle iron i should use. I actually have another box that I just found at work that is 5' x 3' that fits perfectly in my toyota corolla 2014 (that is absolute max size you will fit)  that already has the sheet nailed on to it. So The last time i built a box, the angle iron i used seemed EXTREMELY aggressive and chewed massive holes in your trucks. It was very sharp / not rounded at all on the edge. What is the best material + type of angle should i be using? there are lots of guys in town that seem to cut these to custom lengths and then i am just going to construction adhesive it on.
ONTARIO CANADA

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
Re: Box Building Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 07:34:26 AM »
If the box is wood, it's better to drill and countersink the angle iron and also use a construction adhesive. In my experience angle iron tends to fall off or is a target for theft. We used to score some pretty nice iron at scrap yards for cheaper than home improvement stores. If it's rusty, use a drill and a wire brush to knock that shit off. There's usually more selection at scrap yards as well, although you may have to visit a couple. Just tell them where to point ya, and go digging.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 07:41:32 AM »
apparently its only $18 for 0.625 X 0.625 X 0.125
MILD STEEL HOT ROLLED ANGLE

is this ok? maybe i can sand down the side of it so it doesnt eat the trucks so much?

i dont have any tool to cut it so i kinda watn to just have these guys cut it to length for me

the box will just stay in my garage locked up, so i am not worried about theft. i do havea  drill maybe ill countersink some screws i just found last time when we did that you can feel them in the grind a tiny bit which was fine but i wanted to try it without to see if itw as a bit nicer.
ONTARIO CANADA

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 09:07:38 AM »

is this ok? maybe i can sand down the side of it so it doesnt eat the trucks so much?

i dont have any tool to cut it so i kinda watn to just have these guys cut it to length for me

the box will just stay in my garage locked up, so i am not worried about theft. i do havea  drill maybe ill countersink some screws i just found last time when we did that you can feel them in the grind a tiny bit which was fine but i wanted to try it without to see if itw as a bit nicer.

Hmmm, that's a really small angle iron. I'd want at least an inch and a half. It looks like you're trying to order over the internet. I'd advise against it. For the price of shipping, you could hit up the local home improvement store and buy an inch and a half angle iron and have money left over. Use that money to buy a high tension hack saw. Make sure the blade is ~24 teeth per inch. Cut the iron to size.

I also wouldn't sand down the iron, instead, I'd use a wood router, so the iron sits flush on the box.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 04:38:05 PM »
I'm a big fan of bed frames for boxes. You can sometimes find people just giving them away on facebook marketplace. No need to spend $ when you can get it for free. Use your money to buy drill bit to countersink screws and the best construction adhesive.

I have one on standby in my garage from the last time I saw someone wanted to dump one. They're already painted and smoothed down compared to raw angle iron. The older the bed frames usually they're built beefier.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 07:09:13 AM »
I've been told that the top should be made of skatelite, but I just used plywood i found in the trash

The top of my box is peeling off like crazy and though slides work fine its pitching me on grinds. I'm wondering if wood filler can be used on that size of hole (like wheel sized, maybe 6 inches long), or if theres some other kind of "filler" I can buy.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 07:51:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z69n7s_g6Rw

A granite counter top one would be really nice.

https://youtu.be/5qwVy9rP-KI

Skatelite on the sides helps but can be expensive
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 06:17:23 PM »
I'm wondering if wood filler can be used on that size of hole (like wheel sized, maybe 6 inches long), or if theres some other kind of "filler" I can buy.

Back the hole with plywood or 2X4 and fill with Bondo. Paint it and wax it but eventually it will chip out

The last box I built stayed outside for 3 years and got session everyday, it was at a skate shop. I used Masonite on top of plywood for the top and sides but I painted it with some roll on black glossy paint. I built it like a tank so it would be hard to steal. used 2"x2"x8' by 1/4" thick galvanized angle iron that I found in a dirt lot, never rusted. With the 1/4" thick Masonite it made the angle iron inset for perfect slides

PVC sheeting used to be cheaper than skatelite. It would work for a box I wouldn't use it for a ramp

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 07:31:08 AM »
Put a layer of construction adhesive over the bondo. I've been using it to cover up screws sticking out and other unconventional uses. It's worth a try. Just don't make the bondo completely flush so that there is a decent thickness of construction adhesive over it.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 08:43:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hmmm, that's a really small angle iron. I'd want at least an inch and a half. It looks like you're trying to order over the internet. I'd advise against it. For the price of shipping, you could hit up the local home improvement store and buy an inch and a half angle iron and have money left over. Use that money to buy a high tension hack saw. Make sure the blade is ~24 teeth per inch. Cut the iron to size.

I also wouldn't sand down the iron, instead, I'd use a wood router, so the iron sits flush on the box.

this place is local to me I just checked out the website. This is where I got my first angle iron from 10 years ago when i built my first box. I was just wanting to sand down the metal so it doesnt chew my trucks so bad. I can eye out the size I was just moreso wondering if there is any reason that 1 metal eats trucks more than another? or is it more becuase of the sharp edge of it? that was why i was thinking maybe i should sand it down to make it less sharp.
ONTARIO CANADA

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 06:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

this place is local to me I just checked out the website. This is where I got my first angle iron from 10 years ago when i built my first box. I was just wanting to sand down the metal so it doesnt chew my trucks so bad. I can eye out the size I was just moreso wondering if there is any reason that 1 metal eats trucks more than another? or is it more becuase of the sharp edge of it? that was why i was thinking maybe i should sand it down to make it less sharp.

Ah, gotcha. I’m not sure, I never had my trucks chewed up, maybe it’s because I’m kinda light. Can’t help ya there, sorry.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 11:15:21 AM »
Put a layer of construction adhesive over the bondo. I've been using it to cover up screws sticking out and other unconventional uses. It's worth a try. Just don't make the bondo completely flush so that there is a decent thickness of construction adhesive over it.

If this works it would probably slide better.

Construction adhesive drys hard and slick but it's not easy to use with a putty knife so keep your knife wet with water and that might help

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 06:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I built a new box over the weekend, and had some help from my neighbor that's a general contractor so he's got a lot more tools and know how than I do.  We used a grinder and rounded off the sharp edge on the angle iron and smoothed out the bolts holding it on so they're completely flush now. I used 2"X2"X6" for reference.

Get hungry on it!