Author Topic: CAN WE MAKE SPANKY SOTY THIS YEAR  (Read 3833 times)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: CAN WE MAKE SPANKY SOTY THIS YEAR
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2022, 04:55:04 PM »
Dude is killing it. I love his skating more now than ever.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Dooky-shoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2022, 05:29:04 PM »
I’m in

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 163
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2022, 05:49:05 PM »
Needs to do an interview for Thrasher, have a couple of articles, maybe a tour, have some ads when his articles and interview  are in and a couple more video parts and he could do it

Thrasher is already on record stating that they're not going to give SOTY to someone that didn't help sell some magazines and help generate revenue. I don't think he's on their naughty list either

He's my vote so far 

conqueso

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2022, 06:53:33 PM »
spanly of the year

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2022, 09:26:45 PM »
Some of ya'll didn't watch the new Ishod part yet hey?

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2022, 09:29:23 PM »
he’s gotten his dues already, and everyone loves a comeback like spanky’s.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2022, 06:31:11 AM »
Mmmm he's on his 6th pro model shoe in a world where Ishod is on his 1st, and many have yet to have one. I would argue that is plenty of consolation prize right there.

Aside from that he kinda just does the same tricks at the same blown out LA spots every year.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:29:27 PM by Grrrreencans »

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2022, 08:33:08 AM »
Mmmm he's on his 6th pro model shoe in a world wear Ishod is on his 1st, and many have yet to have one. I would argue that is plenty of consolation prize right there.

Aside from that he kinda just does the same tricks at the same blown out LA spots every year.
eh, I would argue that’s just timing. Spanky came up in a time where pro model shoes were way more commonplace.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2022, 12:39:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Mmmm he's on his 6th pro model shoe in a world wear Ishod is on his 1st, and many have yet to have one. I would argue that is plenty of consolation prize right there.

[close]
eh, I would argue that’s just timing. Spanky came up in a time where pro model shoes were way more commonplace.

That might explain the first shoe or two or three, hell they gave Braydon Szafranski a shoe at one point, but they keep pumping em out. Even has a cheap Doc Martin knock-off lifestyle shoe. The kind Kelly Heart would wear to a wedding. Are there really that many kids out there who want to dress like him or walk around with the word 'Spanky' written on their tounges?

pro club blanks

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2022, 12:52:22 PM »
Dude definitely winning the resembling his little rascals nicknamesake well into adulthood award

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2022, 06:26:44 PM »

Yeah man, I fell asleep for most of it, then woke up and forgot about it

Faxmachine

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2022, 07:43:46 PM »
Spanky ain’t skating for soty
He skating for fun.
He would polite say no thanks.
He wants to see the team eat
Zach Allen SOTY
But baker don’t care about no awards

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

That might explain the first shoe or two or three, hell they gave Braydon Szafranski a shoe at one point, but they keep pumping em out. Even has a cheap Doc Martin knock-off lifestyle shoe. The kind Kelly Heart would wear to a wedding. Are there really that many kids out there who want to dress like him or walk around with the word 'Spanky' written on their tounges?
Emerica has to give guys pro shoes to pay them close to what guys on the corpo brands do. Nike just doesn't really give people pro shoes that much anymore, but I'm sure tons of guys on Nike make more than the guy with the best selling shoe on Emerica.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2022, 09:38:05 PM »

What’s that got to do with the price of fish?

IpathCats

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2022, 06:07:33 AM »
No, I don't want to have another conversation about what SOTY means, I just want you to know you're wrong for thinking Spanky should get it. Just compare the last 3 or 4 SOTYs to Spanky and be honest with yourself. Do you really think we should be lowering the bar? Get real.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2022, 08:10:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah man, I fell asleep for most of it, then woke up thinking about spanly

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
SOTY is a marketing product that Thrasher offers to companies that have a top tier skater and the money for the marketing push. Every SOTY since Leo in 2010 has at least 1 big corporate sponsor that can afford to produce a SOTY. I’m telling you, I’ve seen resumes from marketing guys at Vans where they list AVE and Kyle Walker’s SOTY awards under their list of accomplishments. 

Even if we lived in a world where Spanky could put out the amount of footage that typically goes into a SOTY push, Emerica and Baker don’t have the cash.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2022, 09:42:17 AM »
Not that it really matters he is about the same age as Ave when he won. Skates kinda similar (altho Ave was still going a little bigger).
Also his second round of being pro is almost as long as his first (been pro again since 2015) so anyone thinking it's just some comeback story thing is ignoring the last seven years.

IpathCats

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »
SOTY is a marketing product that Thrasher offers to companies that have a top tier skater and the money for the marketing push. Every SOTY since Leo in 2010 has at least 1 big corporate sponsor that can afford to produce a SOTY. I’m telling you, I’ve seen resumes from marketing guys at Vans where they list AVE and Kyle Walker’s SOTY awards under their list of accomplishments. 

Even if we lived in a world where Spanky could put out the amount of footage that typically goes into a SOTY push, Emerica and Baker don’t have the cash.

You're probably right to some extent. But even with Bezos funding and a Peter jackson trilogy of 3 hour parts where he slappies 10ft tall curbs, I would be shocked if spanky got SOTY

IpathCats

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
Not that it really matters he is about the same age as Ave when he won. Skates kinda similar (altho Ave was still going a little bigger).
Also his second round of being pro is almost as long as his first (been pro again since 2015) so anyone thinking it's just some comeback story thing is ignoring the last seven years.

AVE is better in every way, except creativity I suppose. I don't feel like this is a rational comparison.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2022, 09:49:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

AVE is better in every way, except creativity I suppose. I don't feel like this is a rational comparison.
Just saying they don't always give it to the crusty demon stunt men. But just rewatched his propeller part and realised a bunch of rail tricks that i thought were in the Transworld alien part were from that so I guess there's still a level of ham required.

IpathCats

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2022, 09:54:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Just saying they don't always give it to the crusty demon stunt men. But just rewatched his propeller part and realised a bunch of rail tricks that i thought were in the Transworld alien part were from that so I guess there's still a level of ham required.

Yea i agree with that. I feel like suicu and tyshawn dont really fit that bill though. Gustav would be a great non crust demon stuntguy candidate if he made a push. love him

Ed boy

• Rep: 79
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »
2022 Spanky is sick

jonbronson

• Rep: -2
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2022, 08:10:48 AM »
I love Spanky, but I don't think this will happen or should. I also wish he would save some of his clips from Instagram for video parts. Maybe it wouldn't for the most impactful parts, but he must put out the equivalent of 2 or 3 parts every year just on Instagram, for the past like 3 years at least.

Also, I hope TFunk's Baker part alone will put him in the run. Maybe he doesn't have enough sponsor money for a serious push though, especially without a shoe sponsor. Whole other can of worms but he must've been blacklisted in the industry or something to be without a proper shoe sponsor for so long. I'm amazed Cons or Vans hasn't picked him up.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2022, 11:18:34 AM »
What I don’t understand about these types of threads is that, if you accept the premise that SOTY has meaning aside from generating revenue for High Speed Productions and is in fact a reward for the best skater of 2022 - it’s not even April yet. I love Spanky, he’s one of my all time favorite skaters, but shouldn’t one wait until… November? maybe to declare who should be victor.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2022, 02:25:36 PM »
No. Sorry

WideFeet

• Rep: 81
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2022, 07:09:48 PM »
It’s a long shot, but I hope he wins SOTY now for all the people who are against it and don’t think he should get it. I love a good underdog.