Author Topic: Manilla  (Read 366 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Manilla
« on: March 25, 2022, 01:17:16 AM »
Anyone ever been? I'm thinking of meeting a friend there soon - He's of Filipino heritage and his parents retired there but he's never been. I'd probably spend a month or so in Manilla if I go.

From what I read online, most people say they found it dirty, polluted, traffic's horrible, etc... but I do tend to personally prefer megalopolis'. I love cities like Sao Paulo, Seoul, Bangkok, Taipei, Tokyo, etc... If I don't go to Manila, I'll probably go back to Sao Paulo.

But I'm also curious how things are there at the moment with Corona. So for anyone who's been to Manilla, how did you find it? Thoughts on the food, skating, people, etc...?

The Big Dawg

• Rep: 11
Re: Manilla
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 09:28:55 PM »
I stayed in the Philippines for about 2 weeks and skated a few days while I was there. I stayed in Olongapo City probably 3 hours outside of Manila, but I flew in and out of Manila while I was there. It’s definitely a big city and pretty crowded but I saw a bunch of spots driving out of Manila. I skated a small DIY park where I stayed and it was super fun. This was years ago so not sure what it’s like now post COVID

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 05:36:43 PM »
I think their president Duterte was as close to making vaccination mandatory in the country threatening to jail vax hesitant people so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

The air quality in the city is terrible so wear a mask to breathe. You'll have some black boogers otherwise.

The dollar is apparently strong right now so your money will go far.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 09:43:07 PM »
Skating in the Philippines is getting bigger because of Margie, who was in the Olympics.

So, if you have the financial means, build a complete you’d be willing to leave there with kids who otherwise can’t afford a board as there’s a lot of poverty in Manila.

Next time I visit family out there, I’m planning on building a complete with a shop deck and some cheap Krux’a (via Zumiez) and just leave it for the neighborhood kids out there when I’m done.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 07:01:08 AM »
I used to go there a lot for work, some of the worst traffic in the world bar maybe Dhaka. Get ready for massive shopping center and then a slum next door: rinse and repeat. Some of the more richer areas like “the fort” would be skate paradises after 5pm I’d imagine, lots of fresh marble etc. I preferred places like Davao and Cebu personally, but I’m not really a hustle and bustle type of guy these days…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 12:32:40 PM »
I used to go there a lot for work, some of the worst traffic in the world bar maybe Dhaka. Get ready for massive shopping center and then a slum next door: rinse and repeat. Some of the more richer areas like “the fort” would be skate paradises after 5pm I’d imagine, lots of fresh marble etc. I preferred places like Davao and Cebu personally, but I’m not really a hustle and bustle type of guy these days…

I haven't really decided yet between going back to Sao Paulo or Manila. I think if I went to Manila I'd be keen to hop around but even within the Philippines I think some islands/beaches are still shut down from typhoons that happened within the last year? Bangkok is one of my favorite cities in the world so I'm curious how it compares to there. I feel like the comparing SP to Manila is apples to oranges so maybe BK is a more apt comparison. The time zone is definitely easier for me to schedule meetings in compared to SP. And, tbh, I'd take my skateboard but skating wouldn't be my priority. I'd be more keen on exploring the city and connecting with locals in the general sense but skating can definitely help a ton with that. I really enjoyed SP because it was insanely easy to connect and make friends with Brazilian people for me and I hear people say that about Filipino people.