Author Topic: learning hardflips before kickflips  (Read 700 times)

jaysouthbay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
learning hardflips before kickflips
« on: February 11, 2022, 02:46:21 AM »

is this sorta thing unheard of. i cant kickflip. but i can form hardflips more reliably and feel em out better. should i go for them instead. lately ive been so fixated on kickflips and no dice for literally years bc im weird like that but yeah..

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
Re: learning hardflips before kickflips
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 07:06:34 AM »
whatever works, i got varial flips long before i learnt to kickflip.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 07:57:05 AM »
What kinda hardflips you got? When I started kickflips and hardflips were barely related and wasn't that strange to learn either one first.

Oaf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 05:10:42 PM »
whatever works, i got varial flips long before i learnt to kickflip.

Seconding whatever works.  Years ago I landed a handful of illusion flip style hardflips while I could barely crop dust a  kickflip.

I’m still not very good, but for some reason if I throw frontside heels it’s consistent and I feel quite close, so I work on them every now and then.  It’s different for everyone.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 10:28:42 AM »
i blew up my ankle the day i first landed a hardflip and then didnt get kickflips until years later. hardflip is an easy flick for me cuz i open my hip. sometimes my board does em by accident if im not sitting right on the board when i kickflip
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1484
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 02:38:30 PM »
I learned fakie 360 flips first then nollie 360 flips before getting regular ass 360 flips. Do what you can while you work toward doing what you want.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 05:40:52 AM »
When I learned how to flip the board "inward kickflip" style... I was so hyped and started doing hardflips everywhere. Love that trick

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 01:16:17 AM »
 First trick I ever landed that involved flipping the board was a v flip. I had those for a solid 6 months before I landed one without the board turning 180. I also learned switch heels before regular and would accidentally land in a nosegrind about 90% of the time I tried to 50-50 something unless I was perfectly parallel to it. I can no longer do any of those tricks. Skating does not make sense most of the time.

I think it's more important to figure out why you learned that one and then apply it to the others than to just go down the checklist. Shits hard as fuck so just eat whatever fruit you can reach and eventually you'll grow up to the higher branches. Or at least that's what I tell myself.