Author Topic: do I need BS 5-0's for back smiths?  (Read 2115 times)

switchfakie

do I need BS 5-0's for back smiths?
« on: March 28, 2022, 09:39:28 PM »
i got front smiths without having front 5-0s. Albeit, i feel like it took me a long time. As soon as i started trying Front 5-0s, i got them within a week.

Are back smiths the same? Should i be trying BS 5-0s first and then try smiths? a lot of trick tips on youtube say that you should have 5-0s before the corresponding smith, so ive come to belive that i fucked up the order of it

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: do I need BS 5-0's for back smiths?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 10:37:13 PM »
BS 5-0s are easier than BS smiths, very helpful too though I'd say probably not essential.

I can back smith way better than back 5-0, because I never do back 5-0s and always do back smiths. I learned back smiths not too long after I figured out proper back 5050s, knew how to back 5-0 before that but definitely didn't have them dialed.

switchfakie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 09:33:17 AM »
BS 5-0s are easier than BS smiths, very helpful too though I'd say probably not essential.

I can back smith way better than back 5-0, because I never do back 5-0s and always do back smiths. I learned back smiths not too long after I figured out proper back 5050s, knew how to back 5-0 before that but definitely didn't have them dialed.

word thank you my g. hopefully you're also talking about ledges, i shouldve been more specific in my post

i fucking hate how vanilla back 5-0s look. imo they only look good when filmed in certain ways, so i don't wanna waste my time with it when i could be working on a trick i actually like

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 11:18:07 AM »
that is a pretty dumb mindset imo, i would just learn everything
typically it shows when you skip steps. your front smiths probably look like shit but you never know
one is not even necssarily harder than the other they are pretty different approaches
ONTARIO CANADA

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 11:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

word thank you my g. hopefully you're also talking about ledges, i shouldve been more specific in my post

i fucking hate how vanilla back 5-0s look. imo they only look good when filmed in certain ways, so i don't wanna waste my time with it when i could be working on a trick i actually like

I am talking about ledges. Its good to not skip steps, but in this case its not absolutely mandatory.

switchfakie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 01:07:16 PM »
that is a pretty dumb mindset imo, i would just learn everything
typically it shows when you skip steps. your front smiths probably look like shit but you never know
one is not even necssarily harder than the other they are pretty different approaches

I don’t know what mindset you’re referring to my g. I was asking about the order of learning tricks, ofc I wanna learn BS 5-0s eventually I just wanted to know if it’s harder to learn smiths without them

Brguy

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 05:52:46 PM »
I don't think bs 5-0s will actually help you with bs smiths unless you specifically learn them manual style, they're just too different if you stand on the tail in the 5-0.

switchfakie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 08:19:43 PM »
I don't think bs 5-0s will actually help you with bs smiths unless you specifically learn them manual style, they're just too different if you stand on the tail in the 5-0.

you're def right. i've been asking around and i've come to the conclusion that tails are way more useful for learning smiths than 5-0s (in general for bs or fs). smiths pretty much have the same shifty motion as tails, just reduce the amount you turn and lean back as far as you can

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 01:25:56 AM »
You probably don't actually need back 5-0. As long as you at least have 5050/at least know how to get on a ledge backside. It's probably just rare for anyone to of gone to Smith without already knowing 5-0.
Toot my own horn I'm mad good at back 5-0 and can't back Smith for shit so it's probably not that important

Dimitrov

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 04:03:15 AM »
Backside lipslide might help

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 05:43:13 AM »
i got front smiths without having front 5-0s. Albeit, i feel like it took me a long time. As soon as i started trying Front 5-0s, i got them within a week.

Are back smiths the same? Should i be trying BS 5-0s first and then try smiths? a lot of trick tips on youtube say that you should have 5-0s before the corresponding smith, so ive come to belive that i fucked up the order of it

I have done both and I learned bs 5-0s first. Nowadays I do bs smith grinds occasionally and a haven’t done a bs 5-0 for more than a year. I recently learned bs tailslides and figuring out that trick has made bs smith grinds way less scary.
Who cares about steps. If you actually want to learn bs smith grinds just practice those. I have a much easier time learning tricks I really want than to go through some heady steps to learn something I tell myself is necessary.

switchfakie

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 08:06:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have done both and I learned bs 5-0s first. Nowadays I do bs smith grinds occasionally and a haven’t done a bs 5-0 for more than a year. I recently learned bs tailslides and figuring out that trick has made bs smith grinds way less scary.
Who cares about steps. If you actually want to learn bs smith grinds just practice those. I have a much easier time learning tricks I really want than to go through some heady steps to learn something I tell myself is necessary.

you're right man, its a disease that ive caught where i think i need to follow a specific order to learn tricks in. i guess that now that im 25, i have less time than ever to learn new tricks, so i might as well just try to learn what i really want rather than waste time on tricks im only mildly interested in

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 08:35:53 AM »
I prefer back 5oh. It’s gotta be balanced tho. Tail dragon 5oh is easy stuff.

Back smith is pretty good but it’s been hard for me to get back.

If you’re doing backside tricks you should work on bag lady grinds. They’re super easy and crazy stylish.

The proper way to lock can be hard. Your back heel side wheel should be elevated if possible like a faking switch feeble grind.

Back 80 fakie 5oh is the greatest curb/ledge grind.

If you can do this trick I salute you. We are the most G of skaters
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 09:57:45 AM »
I prefer back 5oh. It’s gotta be balanced tho. Tail dragon 5oh is easy stuff.

Back smith is pretty good but it’s been hard for me to get back.

If you’re doing backside tricks you should work on bag lady grinds. They’re super easy and crazy stylish.

The proper way to lock can be hard. Your back heel side wheel should be elevated if possible like a faking switch feeble grind.

Back 80 fakie 5oh is the greatest curb/ledge grind.

If you can do this trick I salute you. We are the most G of skaters
Tail devils should of definatly been called tail dragons. Excellent pun name

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 09:24:06 PM »
yes, given that both backside smith grinds and backside 5-0s rely on leaning back, knowing backside 5-0s will help you figure out how to distribute that weight on a backside smith + i started learning backside smith grinds by just pointing my backside 5-0s away from the ledge and gradually pointing down and pinching

backside lipslides won't help you, your shoulders should be squared away as if it's a 50-50

I would disagree on that, having more BS ledge tricks in your bag is always helpful, partially mechanically but more confidence in popping into tricks blind sided.

For Smith grinds on ledges / rails, you're not popping up into a 5-0 and then pointing your front truck down, i.e. 2 steps (ollie up, point down). Every time I've tried that I've stuck on the grind (over dipped) or grinded a non-dipped 5-0. I've had better success popping, front foot dragging off and away from the ledge, then slotting my back truck onto the ledge while keeping my shoulders parallel with the ledge. Kind of is the same motion as a BS Lipslide but your back foot rotates deeper to get above / on the ledge / rail.

I'd say being very confident in you BS 50-50 is the most important trick for 5-0s and Smiths.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 09:12:00 AM »
I unlocked back smiths after back tails, bs 5-0s can help especially if you can balance them.

the main battle with smiths after getting into them was to stop noseplowing everytime.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 07:50:10 AM »
Anyone got any advice on how to get more dip on the front truck? My BS Smiths look like BS 50-50 with the front truck not locked on slightly off the side of the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 08:58:46 AM »
Anyone got any advice on how to get more dip on the front truck? My BS Smiths look like BS 50-50 with the front truck not locked on slightly off the side of the ledge.

Try to ollie into a more dipped position and slowly figure out how to make it grind after you can consistently lock it in like that. Also helps to try lock in with your front foot closer to your back foot and pointed down. You'll have to lean back and exaggerate the motion even more.

switchfakie

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 04:27:28 PM »
hello all, after much procrastination, i would like to say that i finally got my first back smith today

i can confirm with full confidence that, No, you do not need to have back 5-0s at all in order to learn back smiths

they are so absurdly different tricks. I tried getting back 5-0s (and landed a couple) and they feel and are performed completely differently

best of luck to any future readers. you def do not need back 5-0s to get a back smith. also back smiths absolutely feel just as cool as they look.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 06:23:44 PM »
hello all, after much procrastination, i would like to say that i finally got my first back smith today

i can confirm with full confidence that, No, you do not need to have back 5-0s at all in order to learn back smiths

they are so absurdly different tricks. I tried getting back 5-0s (and landed a couple) and they feel and are performed completely differently

best of luck to any future readers. you def do not need back 5-0s to get a back smith. also back smiths absolutely feel just as cool as they look.

Got any tips while it’s still fresh? Shed some light for those of us in the dark?

switchfakie

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2022, 07:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Got any tips while it’s still fresh? Shed some light for those of us in the dark?

got you my g, the key is to break it down into steps

pre-reqs: have a dummy consistent back 5050 and alright back 180s. you don't need anything else. no back lip, no bs 5-0, no back tail

i first started by rolling really slow, approach a curb at a ~30 ish degree angle and pop into a back lip. at this point dont worry about what your shoulders are doing at all. just focus on getting your hips to turn. dont worry about landing/coming out rolling from this trick, i dont think i ever did. this step helps you learn how to turn your board with your hips

once you start getting the hang of that, go to a basketball or tennis court/anything with a long line on the ground. you want to start approaching the line at a 35 degree angle, pop straight over the line and twist your hips (so your board turns) WHILE keeping your shoulders parallel to the line at all times. YOU DO NOT NEED TO LAND BACK ON THE BOARD WHEN DOING THIS. because you practiced the back lips on the curb, turning your board into a smith position should be easy because you dont need to turn your board nearly as much of an angle as youd need for a back lip. this step helps you learn how to keep your shoulders parallel to the ledge while turning your hips

after that, you can take it to a ledge. approach at a 35 degree angle. once you pop and turn your hips while keeping your shoulders parallel, simultaneously use your front foot to slightly push down the board and away from the ledge while keeping ALL your pressure on your back foot TOES. emphasis on the pressuring being all in your back foot toes. you MUST lean back and keep your head right above and aligned with your back leg.  popping out is as simple as putting extra pressure on your back foot and releasing some pressure from your front foot. its a really subtle pop out and it definitely does not need a lot of force or thought to do once you start being able to hold the grind for 2-3 feet.

im not gonna lie, i purchased a stomp session monthly sub to get access to chris cole teaching how to do this trick. it helped slightly but not too much. the key takeaway i took from his tutorial was the 35 degree approach and all the weight being in the back toes. DM me if you want me to send it to you

its honestly not that hard of a trick, im just really fucking lazy
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:25:00 PM by switchfakie »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2022, 08:26:03 PM »
Appreciate the detailed write up @switchfakie

Best I can do right now it a 50-50 with my front truck slightly off the ledge, BS Lipslides are still my priority in the year of our lord 2022.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 03:23:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

got you my g, the key is to break it down into steps

pre-reqs: have a dummy consistent back 5050 and alright back 180s. you don't need anything else. no back lip, no bs 5-0, no back tail

i first started by rolling really slow, approach a curb at a ~30 ish degree angle and pop into a back lip. at this point dont worry about what your shoulders are doing at all. just focus on getting your hips to turn. dont worry about landing/coming out rolling from this trick, i dont think i ever did. this step helps you learn how to turn your board with your hips

once you start getting the hang of that, go to a basketball or tennis court/anything with a long line on the ground. you want to start approaching the line at a 35 degree angle, pop straight over the line and twist your hips (so your board turns) WHILE keeping your shoulders parallel to the line at all times. YOU DO NOT NEED TO LAND BACK ON THE BOARD WHEN DOING THIS. because you practiced the back lips on the curb, turning your board into a smith position should be easy because you dont need to turn your board nearly as much of an angle as youd need for a back lip. this step helps you learn how to keep your shoulders parallel to the ledge while turning your hips

after that, you can take it to a ledge. approach at a 35 degree angle. once you pop and turn your hips while keeping your shoulders parallel, simultaneously use your front foot to slightly push down the board and away from the ledge while keeping ALL your pressure on your back foot TOES. emphasis on the pressuring being all in your back foot toes. you MUST lean back and keep your head right above and aligned with your back leg.  popping out is as simple as putting extra pressure on your back foot and releasing some pressure from your front foot. its a really subtle pop out and it definitely does not need a lot of force or thought to do once you start being able to hold the grind for 2-3 feet.

im not gonna lie, i purchased a stomp session monthly sub to get access to chris cole teaching how to do this trick. it helped slightly but not too much. the key takeaway i took from his tutorial was the 35 degree approach and all the weight being in the back toes. DM me if you want me to send it to you

its honestly not that hard of a trick, im just really fucking lazy
trying this today, thanks for the inspo :)