Author Topic: Slappies  (Read 4703 times)

Bigxbird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Slappies
« on: March 29, 2022, 04:07:22 PM »
So I’ve never done slappies and as I get older the less I want to try high impact stuff. I’m looking to get into slappies but I’m seeing contradicting stuff online. Would love some clarity and opinions by other people doing it. I know this is all preference though. 

Wheels big or small? Some people say small wheels are better but I have no idea why. Board slides would make sense since you’re lower to the ground less likely for your wheels to drag but big wheels seem like they would roll up onto the curb easier and lock in better. Seems like small wheels would cause you to slip out.

Tall or low trucks kinda go hand in hand with small or big wheels. With low trucks you can only go so big with your wheels or else you’ll get tons of wheel bite. But with low trucks you’ll feel more stable being closer to the curb. Tall trucks seems like they would allow you to carve into the curb better though since you would have more turn.

Short or long wheelbase? Short wheel base seems like it would be easier to carve into the curb being more turny but a long wheel base seems like it would be more stable to stand on and hold your grinds longer.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
Re: Slappies
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 04:54:12 PM »
So I’ve never done slappies and as I get older the less I want to try high impact stuff. I’m looking to get into slappies but I’m seeing contradicting stuff online. Would love some clarity and opinions by other people doing it. I know this is all preference though. 

Wheels big or small? Some people say small wheels are better but I have no idea why. Board slides would make sense since you’re lower to the ground less likely for your wheels to drag but big wheels seem like they would roll up onto the curb easier and lock in better. Seems like small wheels would cause you to slip out.

Tall or low trucks kinda go hand in hand with small or big wheels. With low trucks you can only go so big with your wheels or else you’ll get tons of wheel bite. But with low trucks you’ll feel more stable being closer to the curb. Tall trucks seems like they would allow you to carve into the curb better though since you would have more turn.

Short or long wheelbase? Short wheel base seems like it would be easier to carve into the curb being more turny but a long wheel base seems like it would be more stable to stand on and hold your grinds longer.

There's a ton of good info in the curb thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=116360.0

But it can be a bit overwhelming. I'm sure some other people will be able to better answer some of your questions, for me personally though your gear doesn't really matter. I have three set ups currently and I can pretty much skate curbs on any of them. I've got big wheels and small wheels, Classic shape and conical shape wheels, big board/small board, rails/no rails etc etc.

The fun part is finding out what works for you!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 07:25:54 PM »
Here's my cheat setup. Wide board like an 8.75+ big wheels 54+ but small trucks like 129s. It's not a great board for much else than slappies and flatground but it makes it so much easier to get onto the curb if that's where you're having trouble.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 12:16:01 AM »
There are hundreds of posts on this. The only thing you need to know is just ram into the curb and don't lift your front truck.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 01:43:11 AM »
I run small wheels with a narrow patch (Bones 100s down at 48mm) on high trucks (Lurpiv 149) and can‘t complain. Haven‘t tried other set ups tho so can‘t say if they would be better or worse. From what I gather from the slappy thread trucks and wheels are not the most important factor. When it comes to bloard size I imagine you‘d want something a bit larger to have more heft when crashing into the curb. I ride 8.5 which is fine. The most important factor without a doubt is the curb. I can only slap them if they are low and ever so slightly inclined, and waxed. But then I am in Europe and our curbs are not lacquered. I found some lacquered parking blocks they are dope. Good luck, slappies are fun!

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 07:17:47 AM »
it's all personal taste i guess. maybe even slightly difrent techniques makes certain gear work better for some while not for others. cause preferences for slappys are all over the place.

for me i like:
wide deck
trucks that are smaller than the deck
risers
short wheelbase
small/medium wheels. (i run 55mm cause our streets are crusty, but when i skated 52mms they were great.)

but i can do them on a skinny board or long wheelbase or 60mm wheels or whatever aswell. but thats just not optimal for me.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 12:48:52 PM »
I would first learn how to do slappies then figure out what I needed to do them better

You can do slappies on any setup

Bigxbird

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 12:51:54 PM »
Current setup
Bacon skateboard 8.5 14.5 wheelbase
Thunder 151’s
Spitfire conical fulls 53mm 99a
Bones big balls
Enjoy deck rails
Independent hardware
Mob grip tape

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 12:54:11 PM »
yeah like others have said there are lots of different options, just start with a board that you would normally skate and then adjust to suit your taste and the specific curbs and surfaces where you skate

like for me if im at a place with smooth surfaces ill go with smaller wheels, because i can smoosh them around more freely when im trying to get in or out of some combos or variations that are still challenging for me. if i'm skating over shitty ground, on the other hand, i might as well use bigger wheels just so i dont tucker myself out pushing like a madman. i do generally find the smaller wheels pop up a little easier, but only up to a certain point. if the curb is too tall compared to your setup youll find it a lot harder to get up because it will require a much deeper carve to get your deck out of the way and prevent just slamming to a stop. this is where slighlty larger wheels, or even risers, could be helpful. but again its all; pretty variable depending on your taste.

i think the only consistent thing youll find is that nobody says they like to do their slappies with ultra tight trucks. if the trucks cant wiggle a little they won't move to fit up the curb as easily. so try to go with your trucks medium or looser.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 02:10:28 PM »
The best slappy skater I know rides an 8.25” Polar deck with normal Spitfire Classic F4 wheels and Independent 144s, no rails. Run what ‘ya brung.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 06:43:25 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 05:42:33 PM »
I would first learn how to do slappies then figure out what I needed to do them better

This.
Oh, slappies are high impact btw. You’ll find this out once you slam on a few.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 06:20:03 PM »
To echo what other people have said - I feel like the technique/muscle memory matters much more than the setup.  I happened to learn how to frontside slappy legit size curbs during a brief phase when I was skating venture lows and 52mm wheels which makes no sense.

That being said I think a wider deck with your trucks a little more narrow than the deck width is ideal (like an 8.75” deck with 8.5” trucks for example).  Also, shorter decks from my experience arnt as good for slappies if they’re placing your feet closer together.  Feels like you have less power with your back leg than on a longer deck with a little wider stance (for example I think slappies are much easier on the Krooked sweatpants shape or a 32” popsicle than on a shape like a Dane 1). 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 09:44:03 PM »
That's the beauty of slappies, you can do them on any set up and you don't have to overthink things.

and also why curbs are a good place to mess around with some experimental set ups.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 02:26:57 AM »
I set up a board for my favourite curb spot, I’ve skated it there once.

My enjoi 8.5 does literally the same thing and I can fuck around with some flat ground too.

Take your board to a well grinding curb and learn to bash

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 08:42:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This.

Damn, i feel this

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2022, 09:02:09 AM »
I have gotten tossed a few times especially when my guard is down and I try to do one going much faster than normal. Luckily, they've only been hilarious instead of painful.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2022, 10:33:29 PM »
You seem to be starting in the right place despite the fact it won’t do anything for you….once you hit about 35.. definitely 40…..step one: gear

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2022, 08:41:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This.

I'm 27, been skating for about 13 years, started doing slappies recently and got absolutely smoked. Probably my worst slams of the year so far, and I usually skate bigger stuff.
The worst thing is I don't even know what or why it happened. Just riding into the curb like always and for some reason everything goes wrong and you're flying. Do not underestimate it

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2022, 08:51:25 AM »
You seem to be starting in the right place despite the fact it won’t do anything for you….once you hit about 35.. definitely 40…..step one: gear

After following all 782 curb skating-themed accounts on Instagram, the immediate equipment requirements:
1) Boutique brand "curb" deck, preferably egg shaped
2) Independent 215 or Ace 77s
3) 34mm wheels
4) Rails sculpted in some novel shape, oddly mounted towards the center part of the deck
5) Sticker which reads "CURBS"
6) "NO PARKING" red pillow for time spent relaxing after 42 minute session of backside slappys where your rear truck never gets on top of the curb
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 201
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2022, 10:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

After following all 782 curb skating-themed accounts on Instagram, the immediate equipment requirements:
1) Boutique brand "curb" deck, preferably egg shaped
2) Independent 215 or Ace 77s
3) 34mm wheels
4) Rails sculpted in some novel shape, oddly mounted towards the center part of the deck
5) Sticker which reads "CURBS"
6) "NO PARKING" red pillow for time spent relaxing after 42 minute session of backside slappys where your rear truck never gets on top of the curb

! Would gnar if i could.

@OP: Don't overthink it too much. it's mostly technique – havent't noticed much difference, when i changed gear

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2022, 08:34:18 PM »

Step one…..tighten trucks……

Frank and Fred

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2022, 08:52:52 PM »
Epic. What issue was that from?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2022, 09:26:04 PM »
Copers withstanding, Steadham has a way better explanation of a slappy than 90% of the instructional videos and explanations on SLAP.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2022, 09:22:39 AM »

Step one…..tighten trucks……
this is like a new paradigm in slappies to me. the "two wheel" carving technique they describe is really some totally other shit. tighten my trucks, roll up on two wheels? thats kinda like lifting your front truck up of you think about it. cheating, in a sense. slappies for children who dont know how to turn? intriguing.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
Copers withstanding, Steadham has a way better explanation of a slappy than 90% of the instructional videos and explanations on SLAP.

Except he's wrong. You don't tip your tight trucks into them. You smash your loose trucks into them.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2022, 02:39:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Except he's wrong. You don't tip your tight trucks into them. You smash your loose trucks into them.

But the idea of tipping your board as if you had tight trucks is a great explanation of the movement
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2022, 05:28:51 AM »
I'm a 'slappy guy'. No one around here slappies and I feel like I spend most of my time at the skate park explaining to people how to slappy cause they always ask me how I do it so easy/effortlessly. I think fs slappies are the easiest of all of them but apparently I'm alone on that, anytime I bring that up people look at me like i'm a fucking psycho. The whole 'slappy setup' thing feels like a gimmick to me or maybe I just think that cause I've never tried it. I just use my standard setup (8.5 deck, Ace 44, Spit 52 Tablets) and everything works perfectly fine.

People cant get over the fact you DONT LIFT UP YOUR FRONT TRUCK. Anytime I teach someone how to do it they always lift up and end up getting smoked

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2022, 07:18:27 AM »
I'm a 'slappy guy'. No one around here slappies and I feel like I spend most of my time at the skate park explaining to people how to slappy cause they always ask me how I do it so easy/effortlessly. I think fs slappies are the easiest of all of them but apparently I'm alone on that, anytime I bring that up people look at me like i'm a fucking psycho. The whole 'slappy setup' thing feels like a gimmick to me or maybe I just think that cause I've never tried it. I just use my standard setup (8.5 deck, Ace 44, Spit 52 Tablets) and everything works perfectly fine.

People cant get over the fact you DONT LIFT UP YOUR FRONT TRUCK. Anytime I teach someone how to do it they always lift up and end up getting smoked

FS 50/50 work easiest for me too, BS 50/50 are significantly harder for me.

Interestingly tho I learned BS crooks lately (thanks to Slap Pals trick tips!), first to fakie but start getting them to regular. I also showed my buddy how to do them, he was super stoked.

I haven‘t even considered trying them FS but will give them a go next time I am at the slappy curb.

Happy for other easy slappy suggestions!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2022, 07:46:04 AM »
some curbs are way harder to do it on than others. i just made a new one and its so free because there is a slight slant to it.

sometimes its slanted out, those ones are hard to do it on. but its possible on anything - look at that walls that spanky rides up.

try to find stuff that is super low to start on that you can get the feel for it you can bash your trucks into and sort of understand that feeling of using your momentum to get up there (doesnt even need to be waxed). its something you have to just get the feel for trying it a little bit more each day (like anything in skating)
ONTARIO CANADA

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2022, 03:05:32 PM »

frontside is definitly the easiest. i just think a lot of people think its scarier/harder (it's safer tho) to do them frontside cause theyre comparing it to transition skating where BS 50 the easy option.

anytime i try to teach someone they keep going for the BS slappy and keep lifting their front truck yeah.. lifting the front truck makes it so dangerous. especially on a parking block/double sided. last weekend someone finally listened to me and actually stopped lifting the front truck. usually they think theyre not lifting it but keep doing it subconsiously. like they have to unlearn something theyve been conditioned to do.
he got close but no makes yet.

also curbs can be too low i feel. some people try to learn them on tiny baby curbs that are like wheel hight. but i feel like you easily overshoot those. or even comepletely miss your slap.