Author Topic: ollie impossible  (Read 1015 times)

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
ollie impossible
« on: March 29, 2022, 06:54:03 PM »
why call it that? what were they talking about. all flip tricks come off the ground, so why mention ollie on this one and it's probably the least ollied of all the flip tricks, excepting pressure flips...

also, why boneless one. is the one who does the trick being the boneless one. interesting trick names, i mean why is it called a boneless at all, but really it's just the one bit that gets me.

i know no one says either of these tricks with these names now but just out of interest, what's that all about?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
Re: ollie impossible
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 07:17:04 PM »
Ollie impossible is because freestylers were doing nosehook/truckhook impossibles before they learned to ollie into the trick.

The boneless one is Harry. It's Harry the Boneless One.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 07:22:49 PM »
Soz pretty unrelated but related whenever someone says it's not a varial flip it's a shove it flip because varial means you grab. It's an ollie varial flip but it's not the 80s anymore so we don't say Ollie before every trick name. I guess Ollie impossible is like Ollie kickflip. It used to be a pretty different looking freestyle trick (like the impossible as explained by silhouette) but in these modern times everyone can Ollie and it's not worth mentioning

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 07:38:46 PM »
thanks dudes, nailed it. i know i could google things, but why not use the living, breathing google of skaters that is slap. i'd rather have a slight dialogue about it then just look it up and go "ok". thanks for humoring me.

harry the boneless one indeed.

also, fuck that varial conversation. i hate it when people pull that one out. as if literally everbody wasn't calling them varials until 2o16 when that berrics/hawk video came out. i've got mad love and respect for the birdman but why did he let them call them varial kickflips and heelflips in his video games {not to mention switch nollie} - i realise he didn't program the games but I assume he played them before they came out and i would imagine changing words would be one of the easier things to do in video game programming/designing/whatevering. also, actual varials with the hand are super fun on ramps, i had em dialled for a bit in like 2o12/13.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 09:35:33 PM »
thanks dudes, nailed it. i know i could google things, but why not use the living, breathing google of skaters that is slap. i'd rather have a slight dialogue about it then just look it up and go "ok". thanks for humoring me.

harry the boneless one indeed.

also, fuck that varial conversation. i hate it when people pull that one out. as if literally everbody wasn't calling them varials until 2o16 when that berrics/hawk video came out. i've got mad love and respect for the birdman but why did he let them call them varial kickflips and heelflips in his video games {not to mention switch nollie} - i realise he didn't program the games but I assume he played them before they came out and i would imagine changing words would be one of the easier things to do in video game programming/designing/whatevering. also, actual varials with the hand are super fun on ramps, i had em dialled for a bit in like 2o12/13.

180 flips?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 12:12:05 AM »
The original name is "The Impossible Trick" and there are three versions that I know of. I can only conjecture it was named that because of the unusual way it spins.

For the first version, you stand on the tail and spin from the nose with your hand. While you are correct that flip tricks spin in the air, most freestylers finger flipped. They didn't take well to the ollie.

The second version is spun with the front foot underneath the nose. Rodney often approached fakie, likely because he could keep his momentum and land rolling or turn it 180 to land forward.

Despite the distinct lack of ollie, the modern version is still named appropriately.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 01:34:13 AM »
The original name is "The Impossible Trick" and there are three versions that I know of. I can only conjecture it was named that because of the unusual way it spins.

For the first version, you stand on the tail and spin from the nose with your hand. While you are correct that flip tricks spin in the air, most freestylers finger flipped. They didn't take well to the ollie.

The second version is spun with the front foot underneath the nose. Rodney often approached fakie, likely because he could keep his momentum and land rolling or turn it 180 to land forward.

Despite the distinct lack of ollie, the modern version is still named appropriately.

Try ollieing a freestyle board from the 80s and you'll understand why.

skateboardgeek

• Rep: 0
    • Brand avatar image
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 11:49:55 PM »
The original name is "The Impossible Trick". When Ollie trick was invented it got so famous that almost every trick was using "ollie" before the name of the trick just like "ollie kickflip", "ollie grind"...Since then the "ollie impossible" got famous with this name and we are still calling it that!

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 94
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 06:43:54 PM »
Boneless one was named by GSD after a puppet he had as a kid that he called the Boneless one.
Cocteau Twins