Author Topic: HMC/HPX - MK1 Intermediate Vs Boys of Summer Limited MK2  (Read 250 times)

pj chad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
HMC/HPX - MK1 Intermediate Vs Boys of Summer Limited MK2
« on: March 03, 2024, 06:22:37 PM »
I really, really don’t want to spend $8k for an xtreme fisheye. The only two options that I know of at this point in time are a MK1 intermediate (modded to fit) or the limited boys of summer MK2 which is bayo directly to the hmc/hpx.

Does anyone have either lens for their HMC/HPX? Would love to hear about it. I was able to find raw unzoomed footage for the MK1 intermediate, and I’d really like to compare it to the limited MK2. If anyone has a clip or screenshot that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Donny_filmz

• Rep: -1
Re: HMC/HPX - MK1 Intermediate Vs Boys of Summer Limited MK2
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 07:03:58 PM »
planning on filming 16:9 or 4:3? I use to have a century mk2 for the hpx but I personally didn't care for it.

pj chad

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 07:16:15 PM »
16:9. Which iteration of the mk2 did you have?

pvz423

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 07:35:34 PM »
The mk1s look really soft on the hpx, mk2s are basically identical to Opteka .3x fisheyes don't waste your money on them.

Donny_filmz

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 07:44:24 PM »
16:9. Which iteration of the mk2 did you have?

I had the first one with the sharper sun shade, the big and everything looked okay, I just didn't like the look of the footage, I'm too picky. have you tried the canon 8-15mm on a dslr? if I didn't have an xtreme I would run that thing full time, its so worth it.

pj chad

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 07:50:36 PM »
The mk1s look really soft on the hpx, mk2s are basically identical to Opteka .3x fisheyes don't waste your money on them.

Even the limited boys of summer mk2? It was specifically made for the HMC/HPX, I was always under the impression it was much better than the mk2’s with the sunshade. I’ve heard people say it’s “the next best thing to the xtreme” but I’d really prefer to be the judge on that

pj chad

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 07:55:19 PM »

I had the first one with the sharper sun shade, the big and everything looked okay, I just didn't like the look of the footage, I'm too picky. have you tried the canon 8-15mm on a dslr? if I didn't have an xtreme I would run that thing full time, its so worth it.

I considered it, but I just can’t get over the soft vig and the bluish hue. It reminds me of back when everyone used to use those cheap raynox lenses. I know it can be corrected in post with a vig overlay, but I’m just not a fan

pvz423

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 08:04:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even the limited boys of summer mk2? It was specifically made for the HMC/HPX, I was always under the impression it was much better than the mk2’s with the sunshade. I’ve heard people say it’s “the next best thing to the xtreme” but I’d really prefer to be the judge on that
The glass is the same, they just made it have a bayo for the hpx/hmc on the "boys of summer" one. I honestly think the opteka looks decent if used correctly and a bit of premiere magic. Check out this tutorial from filmer Luke Murphy. https://youtu.be/dVj9Ri94Uvg?si=YJ8LdqUxpYj3gSJL
And if you really still hate the 16:9 vig look, just get an extra spacer and crop 4:3, it looks really good.

pj chad

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 08:12:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
The glass is the same, they just made it have a bayo for the hpx/hmc on the "boys of summer" one. I honestly think the opteka looks decent if used correctly and a bit of premiere magic. Check out this tutorial from filmer Luke Murphy. https://youtu.be/dVj9Ri94Uvg?si=YJ8LdqUxpYj3gSJL
And if you really still hate the 16:9 vig look, just get an extra spacer and crop 4:3, it looks really good.

Wow, so you mean to tell me that the MK2 with the thinner lens shade, originally designed for the DVX more or less will produce the exact same wideness and vig as this boys of summer mk2 that resellers are trying to get me to pay $2000 for?

pvz423

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 08:16:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Wow, so you mean to tell me that the MK2 with the thinner lens shade, originally designed for the DVX more or less will produce the exact same wideness and vig as this boys of summer mk2 that resellers are trying to get me to pay $2000 for?

I'm saying the MK2 that they are selling for 2k is not any better than a $300 opteka .3x fish.

BAGHEAD CREW

• Rep: 9
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 01:57:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When I was looking into other fisheye options, this video was a certified winner for me for a long time. The only thing with the lens distortion (and I don't know if I'm being outright paranoid) is that I think it kinda "bubbles" the centre of the image and makes the corners waaaaay to distorted to the point of where it would annoy me.

I've seen the Magenta guys have been filming on Opteka lenses with a few spacer rings and they look great especially if you wanna get the HD 4:3 look. The dudes who film for them make it look super good!

I've just gone down the Sony FS5 with the Canon 8-15mm lens and a Metabones Ultra II Speed Booster and I agree with many about the vig being soft and somewhat annoying, but overall it doesn't annoy me that much anymore as more full lengths I see are using the FS5/FX6 so it's somewhat starting to just look normal to me - and if it's too annoying for you, just zoom past it a tad more. I've found having my zoom at 64 sets a nice enough vig that it's super close to my Xtreme/HPX250 vignette look so when it comes to putting the two fisheyes side by side It won't be too noticeable to your regular viewer.

I've used the Xtreme set up for two full lengths so far with numerous edits and work for other companies etc (I still use it a bit to this day but it's just sat in a bag now) and it's honestly starting to hurt my arm and neck using it so much, so the FS5 and Canon lens has been a saviour and it's so fucking fun to use, I'd honestly recommend giving it a go. Just get a good zoom lens, I got the Sony 18-110mm and it's super fun + it forces you not to film like Strobeck haha.

I'd agree with the majority of people here though, get an Opteka and have fun with that. Also, check out Kev Perez's instagram, he's also added a tutorial/info on how to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 with distortion that might be a huge help for you!

@bagheadcrew

Donny_filmz

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 05:18:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

When I was looking into other fisheye options, this video was a certified winner for me for a long time. The only thing with the lens distortion (and I don't know if I'm being outright paranoid) is that I think it kinda "bubbles" the centre of the image and makes the corners waaaaay to distorted to the point of where it would annoy me.

I've seen the Magenta guys have been filming on Opteka lenses with a few spacer rings and they look great especially if you wanna get the HD 4:3 look. The dudes who film for them make it look super good!

I've just gone down the Sony FS5 with the Canon 8-15mm lens and a Metabones Ultra II Speed Booster and I agree with many about the vig being soft and somewhat annoying, but overall it doesn't annoy me that much anymore as more full lengths I see are using the FS5/FX6 so it's somewhat starting to just look normal to me - and if it's too annoying for you, just zoom past it a tad more. I've found having my zoom at 64 sets a nice enough vig that it's super close to my Xtreme/HPX250 vignette look so when it comes to putting the two fisheyes side by side It won't be too noticeable to your regular viewer.

I've used the Xtreme set up for two full lengths so far with numerous edits and work for other companies etc (I still use it a bit to this day but it's just sat in a bag now) and it's honestly starting to hurt my arm and neck using it so much, so the FS5 and Canon lens has been a saviour and it's so fucking fun to use, I'd honestly recommend giving it a go. Just get a good zoom lens, I got the Sony 18-110mm and it's super fun + it forces you not to film like Strobeck haha.

I'd agree with the majority of people here though, get an Opteka and have fun with that. Also, check out Kev Perez's instagram, he's also added a tutorial/info on how to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 with distortion that might be a huge help for you!

how do you like filming long lens with the FS5? is it tough? hard to pull focus?

BAGHEAD CREW

• Rep: 9
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2024, 01:28:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

how do you like filming long lens with the FS5? is it tough? hard to pull focus?

Easy dude! The 18-110 allows you to use the zoom rocker so it’s just like filming with any camcorder with a built in zoom lens like the HPX series. You can of course zoom on the lens too by the little toggle thing (sorry I don’t know what it’s called), and you can also do it manually which I’m unsure why anyone would want to.

But yeah, the zoom on the 18-110 Sony lenses are built in too so everything internally works and it’s a blessing to use. Takes some time getting used to the different variable speed as it’s different to other cameras I’ve used, and the lens doesn’t allow you to do that horrible over the top Strobeck filming, it actually makes filming long lens feel a little more classic and how we used to film before the insane, over the top zooming came into play.

If you need any help DM me! I believe I follow you on instagram currently 💓
@bagheadcrew