Author Topic: Moving a jersey barrier  (Read 1496 times)

mamba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 138
  • Sucka free
Moving a jersey barrier
« on: April 03, 2022, 03:26:31 PM »
i'm new to DIY stuff and this will be my first build. There is a jersey barrier that could be a nice, but its location is not ideal. I'm not talking about moving it to a new place but I just want to move it a few feet. anyone have experience moving one of these things?

I was looking at some car jacks/foor jacks with wheels to move them but idk if it would work.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Moving a jersey barrier
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 04:46:25 PM »
Maybe use the floor jack to raise the barrier just enough so you can wedge some logs underneath to roll? Similar technique to how people built the pyramids and other monuments. I don’t think it’ll be easy but it seems possible with the help of a few guys.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 05:42:54 PM »
Maybe try hire something like this. Try figure out how heavy the barrier is first. You will prob need one of the bigger ones or two. They're more designed to get shit up high but I've used them to move huge boulders before so it could work.

mamba

• Rep: 138
  • Sucka free
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 06:28:45 PM »
Maybe use the floor jack to raise the barrier just enough so you can wedge some logs underneath to roll? Similar technique to how people built the pyramids and other monuments. I don’t think it’ll be easy but it seems possible with the help of a few guys.

oh man this might be crazy enough to work. thanks!

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 07:42:59 PM »
You need fulcrum, leverage, a little inertia, and some kinetic energy.

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 07:47:47 PM »
Chains and a truck

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 07:50:00 PM »
i'm new to DIY stuff and this will be my first build. There is a jersey barrier that could be a nice, but its location is not ideal. I'm not talking about moving it to a new place but I just want to move it a few feet. anyone have experience moving one of these things?

I was looking at some car jacks/foor jacks with wheels to move them but idk if it would work.
Sideways or forward or backwards? Know anyone with a truck with a V8 they don’t mind shoving it around with? You could always run some tow straps through the holes and pull it(again with a truck)to wherever you want it. It’ll be loud and will attract attention and you’ll have to do it slow, but it’ll work.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 10:52:33 PM »
Dudes used pipes and rolled them like the Egyptians at a diy spot here….

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 03:57:44 AM »
walk it with a j-bar

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 05:38:25 PM »
If it’s only a few feet I’d ask around the spot and see if anyone who works in warehouse or somewhere with a loading dock can borrow a j-bar. With an extension plate you could prob walk it one end at time to where you want it in a matter of minutes. 

I don’t know who it was or where I saw it, but a few years back some dudes posted a video of some big wooden wheels they made with a negative space cut out of the barrier profile in the middle. They jacked it up, slipped the wheels on like you would wheels on a skateboard truck, and tumbled the barrier across the spot. There’s no way I’m explaining this clearly, and there’s obv simpler ways… but for its own sake, it was a beautiful thing.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 06:13:07 PM »

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »
Yes! Thanks.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 09:44:03 PM »
In San Diego Art's Trench & Plate will move it for $100, no questions asked. They'll deliver a new one for $400, same.

It's just a guy with a flatbed truck that has a crane for unloading and moving k-rail aka jersey barriers