Author Topic: Does Wheelbase Actually Matter?  (Read 9869 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Does Wheelbase Actually Matter?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2022, 08:23:47 AM »
Wb is more about 360 board rotation for me.

I wanna get it around as fast as possible because I’m so close to the ground these days.

So yeah I can skate a 15” wb no problem but my impossible will come around hot and heavy. I prefer quick and light

It's funny, I use impossibles to gauge; long deck and WB and that wrap (if it doesn't clip the fucking round) feels like slomotion. I like them right in the middle, not to slow and not to fast for the wrap.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2022, 08:40:57 AM »
I feel like height doesn't really matter that much. Skaters range from what 5'4 to 6'6 but then an 8th of an inch of wheelbase is somehow making a difference?
Altho I'm probably not that right person to judge as I'm at the tall end of my skaters height range. I also don't think a board width matters much compared to my size 13s

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2022, 08:53:10 AM »
Wb is more about 360 board rotation for me.

I wanna get it around as fast as possible because I’m so close to the ground these days.

So yeah I can skate a 15” wb no problem but my impossible will come around hot and heavy. I prefer quick and light

What flea and front foot said.
Although, I recently started skating a board with 14.45 wb, after being 14” gang, and…it works really well. Overall board length fucks with me quite a bit.
Being influenced, I saw that dope Cory flip from the other day and looked up his shape: 14.75 wb. And he was whipping those nollie tres. Not me tho.
I think one can adjust to whatever. I might lose tre flips on a longer board, but I’ll be able to bomb hills better and might have a better ollie. It all comes and goes, win some lose type of thing.

IpathCats

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2022, 10:42:46 AM »
As a tall person (6' 4") I can assure you that WB matters, at least to me any way. 14.4.-14.5 on indys. and I've been considering ventures again to extend my wb.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
It’s a measurement……trust me if concaves were quantified…..we’d care more. 

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2022, 11:52:16 AM »
It’s a measurement……trust me if concaves were quantified…..we’d care more.
You can measure concave depth using two rulers. Tactics lists it on some boards.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2022, 04:51:37 PM »
I don't know what matters anymore. I used to think it was WB. I am 6 foot 3 and lately have been on 14.38. I've skated a 14" Crail and also the Hockey 8.44x14.2 recently and one would assume the Hockey might be more stable and closer to my norm, but (and only after one session) it really doesn't feel that way right now. It's actually a hair shorter than the Crail and both are shorter than the 32.125 I have been on recently. Some things are slower, but it's learnable compared to the overall increases in pop, stability, and even flip tricks are more solid.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2022, 05:20:04 PM »
[quote author=LebowskisRug link=topic=121572.msg3772111#msg3772111 date=1649289097]
I don't know what matters anymore. I used to think it was WB. I am 6 foot 3 and lately have been on 14.38. I've skated a 14" Crail and also the Hockey 8.44x14.2 recently and one would assume the Hockey might be more stable and closer to my norm, but (and only after one session) it really doesn't feel that way right now. It's actually a hair shorter than the Crail and both are shorter than the 32.125 I have been on recently. Some things are slower, but it's learnable compared to the overall increases in pop, stability, and even flip tricks are more solid.
[/quote]

I’m 5’7”, short legged, 10 shoe. Skate about the same size stuff. Also don’t know what matters. I don’t think wb plus trucks = jack shit tho. Or, possibly more accurately, it’s just some tiny pieces to a greater whole.  All I know is I do not know. As an example, I went from an 8.125x14.125x31.25 to an 8.125x14x31.75, same trucks and wheels. None of this is interesting to anyone, but me. But, the newer setup feels super foreign. Like an ollie feels nuts. My timing on everything feels bizarre.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2022, 05:37:13 PM »
Christopher Hiett is a great example of skill > wheel base haha

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYaLPUmD6oV/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbyC80xDvZq/?utm_medium=copy_link

If it matters, he's about 5'5"-5'6" in reality (if I got that wrong, sorry Chris!)

But the way I see it: if measurements matter to you, then it matters. If it doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2022, 12:51:16 AM »
Everything matters to an extent, like many have said. And there are those outside the bell curve of statistical science that defy common notions. Dudes rocking size 13s on a 7.5" is a fucking mystery or lil 5' 2" dudes w/ 8s skating 8.6". Both skating their setups well even though the math may argue that those two examples shouldn't work well in theory. (Welsh or Ronson Lambert & Kader)

Back to my point... if WB matters on cars for turning radius, responsiveness, center of gravity, etc. then it also does for skating.

I'm about 5' 11" with a size 11-11.5 shoe. I'm also 60% legs and  40% torso. I found I work best with 8.5" or 8.4" x 14.5" WB x 32.25"-ish" deck on Indys. I can't do smaller than 14.25" WB or larger than 14.6". Board length can't be shorter than 32.125 or longer than 32.5.

I've been on Indys for 12 years straight so I tailored my deck choices around what worked with my Indys, whether I knew or didn't that Indys don't push WB out as much as Thunder or Venture.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2022, 02:17:10 AM »
Everything matters to an extent, like many have said. And there are those outside the bell curve of statistical science that defy common notions. Dudes rocking size 13s on a 7.5" is a fucking mystery or lil 5' 2" dudes w/ 8s skating 8.6". Both skating their setups well even though the math may argue that those two examples shouldn't work well in theory. (Welsh or Ronson Lambert & Kader)

Back to my point... if WB matters on cars for turning radius, responsiveness, center of gravity, etc. then it also does for skating.

I'm about 5' 11" with a size 11-11.5 shoe. I'm also 60% legs and  40% torso. I found I work best with 8.5" or 8.4" x 14.5" WB x 32.25"-ish" deck on Indys. I can't do smaller than 14.25" WB or larger than 14.6". Board length can't be shorter than 32.125 or longer than 32.5.

I've been on Indys for 12 years straight so I tailored my deck choices around what worked with my Indys, whether I knew or didn't that Indys don't push WB out as much as Thunder or Venture.
Just to add on. I think the problem with comparing to cars is cars don't have a giant standing on-top of them. If you were comparing board setups vs board setups in a vacuum sure but two people could still be the same height, weight, shoe size, everything and their body's could still function differently or their technique could be completely different. Also so much is mental. If you like the look of something you will skate better on it than something that may technically be right but youre just not into it

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2022, 02:31:41 PM »
I can ride 14"wb deck just as well as 14.5"wb. But in order to do this, I need to drastically change the setup. I need heavy trucks on a short wb and light ones on long wb. Also a longer tail helps on longer wb. I'm only 5'7" btw.
Since I'm used to thunder titaniums on 14.4"wb, in order to skate a 14"wb I use heavy as fuck(and taller) aces. Truck wheelbase doesn't seem to matter to me at all in this case, the huge weight difference compensates everything, giving the setups a similar pop feel.

I'd like to try out decks with the exact same specs except wheelbase to truly find out what it actually does.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2022, 08:15:14 PM »

If it matters, he's about 5'5"-5'6" in reality (if I got that wrong, sorry Chris!)

But the way I see it: if measurements matter to you, then it matters. If it doesn't matter to you, then it doesn't.

Fun skater to watch (up there with winkowski for rad shaped board skaters).

Hell it's 7.25 x 27" just weak in the kicks so it excels at flip tricks since that is where it all started.

Also, still the sickest powell graphic.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2022, 10:58:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hell it's 7.25 x 27" just weak in the kicks so it excels at flip tricks since that is where it all started.

Fuck I've wanted a freestyle board since forever but whenever I see them in person they're like a rollerskate. Pretty sure the wb on that ones like 12 inches. Always think about getting a big 80s board and cutting it down but it no doubt wouldnt work properly. In an alternate reality skaters rode bigger freestyle boards instead of egg boards in the early 90s.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2022, 09:20:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Fuck I've wanted a freestyle board since forever but whenever I see them in person they're like a rollerskate. Pretty sure the wb on that ones like 12 inches. Always think about getting a big 80s board and cutting it down but it no doubt wouldnt work properly. In an alternate reality skaters rode bigger freestyle boards instead of egg boards in the early 90s.

When I worked in a shop as a kid, we had an old Vision Don Brown model, since it was a freestyle board, it never sold and was buried in a stack of old shit. I just took it and set it up, since I sucked at freestyle, I just tried to skate it normally (that was my first time ditching risers). As a 90s skater, I hate(d) 90s shapes, especially the long, tapered noses, I despise looking down on them to this day.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2022, 09:35:01 AM »
As a tall person (6' 4") I can assure you that WB matters, at least to me any way. 14.4.-14.5 on indys. and I've been considering ventures again to extend my wb.

any other tall bros agree with this, or disagree and feel totally different?
i'm 6'4 and size 13, i skate 5.8 cast ventures and trying to pick my next deck.  ive been on 14.25wb for my last couple,  tried out a 14 and hated it.  i have an 8.5 real se that i believe is 14.38 and i think thats going to be the move

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2022, 10:06:08 AM »
For me it matters, but just a little. Of course the best thing for your skating would be to ride the same exact setup all the time, but if you're on SLAP you probably enjoy messing around (obsessing over madness) with different things. I've tried a lot of different boards in between 8.25 and 8.5, usually around 14.125 to 14.5 WB, and I'd say you can feel a difference, but pretty marginal and it's pretty easy to get used to a new board when hopping from say 14.25 to 14.5 WB. 1/4 inch is really not that much.

IpathCats

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2022, 10:29:37 AM »
Short answer: yes
Long answer: no

I completely disagree

Short answer: No
Long answer: Yes

LebowskisRug

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2022, 10:46:05 AM »
I think this question is a forest for the trees situation. One measurement in isolation matters if all other parameters are equal or close to equal. At a certain point things are too long or short and it can make a difference if things are close.

For me I think it depends on the deck length, kick length, and kick steepness more.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2022, 11:15:01 AM »
I think this question is a forest for the trees situation. One measurement in isolation matters if all other parameters are equal or close to equal. At a certain point things are too long or short and it can make a difference if things are close.

For me I think it depends on the deck length, kick length, and kick steepness more.

This is the answer.
I would humbly add: truck height, axle placement, wheel size, and then there is probably some significant relationship to shoulder width, various leg measurements, foot size, certain flexibility abilities.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2022, 11:22:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm 6'4 and size 13, i skate 5.8 cast ventures and trying to pick my next deck.  ive been on 14.25wb for my last couple,  tried out a 14 and hated it.  i have an 8.5 real se that i believe is 14.38 and i think thats going to be the move
Another tall guy here. Long time back I used to try get as much as possible would ride 15+ with thunders but now think it mostly doesn't matter.  People care way too much about the exact numbers now those same setups were 9+ wide boards on thunder 149s which at the time was the widest truck so it was fine but now people would be like wtf those trucks are way too small. The differences are so small i feel like it only ever matters in very specific situations. Only time I really felt wheelbase was too long was sometimes the deck would scrape on roll in ramps (easy fix Manny for a second as you roll in) and every now and then you'd go to do a nosegrind or nosemanmy but your foots not far up enough on the nose so you just drop to 5050. Rare tho maybe the same amount that would happen on any board.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2022, 11:39:11 AM »
I can ride 14"wb deck just as well as 14.5"wb. But in order to do this, I need to drastically change the setup. I need heavy trucks on a short wb and light ones on long wb. Also a longer tail helps on longer wb. I'm only 5'7" btw.
Since I'm used to thunder titaniums on 14.4"wb, in order to skate a 14"wb I use heavy as fuck(and taller) aces. Truck wheelbase doesn't seem to matter to me at all in this case, the huge weight difference compensates everything, giving the setups a similar pop feel.

I'd like to try out decks with the exact same specs except wheelbase to truly find out what it actually does.

I find this to be true for myself as well.. I think WB itself is just one part of a whole like someone else said. Overall deck length, kick lengths, weights, etc all factor in. QQ, do you not have to drastically change your foot placement going from Thunders on a 14.4 WB to Ace on 14 WB?

manysnakes

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2022, 11:52:20 AM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2022, 12:00:38 PM »
This is also why you should pick a truck and wheels and stick with them. The micromanaging and mixing and matching of various shit compounds the potential combinations by an order of magnitude. If only one thing changes and your old deck is whole you can’t just lay it on top and identify what might be good or bad.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »
This is also why you should pick a truck and wheels and stick with them. The micromanaging and mixing and matching of various shit compounds the potential combinations by an order of magnitude. If only one thing changes and your old deck is whole you can’t just lay it on top and identify what might be good or bad.

Goddamn quit roasting me directly.

@manysnakes that is a banger. I kinda wanted meatloaf to show up.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 918
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 01:27:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Short answer: yes
Long answer: no
[close]

I completely disagree

Short answer: No
Long answer: Yes

Touché

IpathCats

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 01:47:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Give it a shot. Find a 14.5 if you're really feeling bold. 14.5 on ventures will deff feel hefty though. Bobby skates them on a 14.4 though so who knows

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
I’ve been quite vocal about wheelbase mattering for years. Then I skated a Polar with a mislabeled wb and it felt pretty good albeit a bit short. Then I skated a shaped deck with a shorter wb than “what I like” and loved everything about it. Then I tested various boards the latest being a Toy Machine 8.5” with a 14.2” wb. Usually I ride 8.38” and above with wheelbases 14.5” and above. The Toy Machine overall length was actually longer than my previous deck with 14.75” wb. First the Toy Machine felt refreshing and different. Bit more unstable on transition but I kinda like that. Easier to pop due to the short wb and mellow kicks. What made me come to the conclusion that I really need 14.5”+ was pushing between tricks with no time to think. The 14.2” was just too short compared to what I was used to. I fell over a few times having my front foot too far up. Could I get used to this? Maybe? Do I want to? No, not really. I don’t see the benefit. I’ve had several shorter (wb & overall) boards and generally I just care for them that much for what I like to skate. I like the longer wb for the stability and heftier pop it adds and I feel like it just is more proportionate for my body size.

So, yeah, kinda but depends on what you do with your board.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2022, 03:24:19 PM »
I like my wheelbase to be the board width plus 6 inches, give or take 1/8th. 

14" on an 8"
14.25" on 8.25"
14.5" on 8.5"
14.75" on 8.75"+.   I don't want above 14.75

I'm not going to ride an 8" in the same terrain as an 8.75" and I want it to be different.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »
I like my wheelbase to be the board width plus 6 inches, give or take 1/8th. 

14" on an 8"
14.25" on 8.25"
14.5" on 8.5"
14.75" on 8.75"+.   I don't want above 14.75

I'm not going to ride an 8" in the same terrain as an 8.75" and I want it to be different.

Interesting