Author Topic: Kien's "Ruining Skateboarding" THERE Part  (Read 6706 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Re: Kien's "Ruining Skateboarding" THERE Part
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2022, 10:24:41 AM »
I loved that the first music track was 125 Rue Montmartre, which was a local emo band that was really cool. I was quite surprised, since that record is more than 20 years old.

Video was fun too.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2022, 10:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so now you just have to dress as clown and do couple powerslides to have a part on thrasher?
[close]

Username checks out
[close]
I checked it out and the only skaters they seem to dislike are Cher, Marbie, Kien, and Chandler Burton. I wonder what it could be about them specifically...

Noticed that too so I took out the trash. RIP Bozo.

dskate27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2022, 11:08:20 AM »
that big heel was sick as fuck

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2022, 11:34:58 AM »
The weirdness may become more refined, with time.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »
That was so fucking sick. You know it's a good ass part when it made we wanna do a combination of walk out from work and go skating right then, and pick a fight with every motherfucker in here talking shit. Instead I won't do either. Y'all will thank me later, trust me.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2022, 06:17:27 PM »
Stoked.   Rad part.   

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2022, 01:12:56 PM »
Looks like they are premiering some parts on Jenkem too. Some Strobeck inspired filming to boot.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2022, 01:21:48 PM »
awesome spots skated extremely well
fun fun fun

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2022, 01:22:53 PM »
Looks like they are premiering some parts on Jenkem too. Some Strobeck inspired filming to boot.

I dig this part, those spots look super fun. Especially that manny pad/ledge and that brick transition thingy.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2022, 02:17:09 PM »

Some bad filming in there but the skating was smooth as hell.
That switch back nosegrind? Dang, yes please. 
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2022, 09:29:22 AM »
For some reason the n with a tilde won't display correctly so I can't make the obvious pun.

halfcab one-foot line at pier 7 was a fav though.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2022, 09:38:05 AM »

@LeoBanuelos you absolutely rule, awesome part!

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »
That was great!  Nice looking spots and some very nice manuals.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2022, 10:48:31 AM »
I loved this. Deep bag of tricks and can get tech but also skates in other ways; sometimes iffy, but mostly just sick. They’re shredding and having fun which is literally the only thing that matters. Ender with that great dog in the background ruled lol.

My thoughts exactly. Lotta cool shit in there lotta weird shit. But at the end of the day I can’t do most of that and they having fun . That backside power slide Ollie the stair thing had me thinking it was stupid at first but the more I think about how to do it the more impressive it gets.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2022, 11:27:59 AM »
some super creative tricks in kien's part, well done!

got me wanting to try the the ride past a wall, jump off your board, onto the wall, then back onto the board trick.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2022, 01:44:58 PM »
For some reason the n with a tilde won't display correctly so I can't make the obvious pun.

halfcab one-foot line at pier 7 was a fav though.
I noticed this one too. Very classy trick that I never really thought of before, but now I’m gonna try it

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2022, 05:17:43 PM »
I can't stand when companies will go to the effort of making a full length video, then sporadically and stagger the release of the parts on different platforms. What's the point? So they can get a couple hundred of new followers, and have their clips shared to peoples stories for a day? Would love to see this video as intended.

And this just isn't directed at There. Pass~Port, Zero & Toy Machine did this in recent times as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 05:40:17 PM by HORSES »

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2022, 08:11:25 PM »
I can't stand when companies will go to the effort of making a full length video, then sporadically and stagger the release of the parts on different platforms. What's the point? So they can get a couple hundred of new followers, and have their clips shared to peoples stories for a day? Would love to see this video as intended.

And this just isn't directed at There. Pass~Port, Zero & Toy Machine did this in recent times as well.

I'm Kinda bummed too.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2022, 09:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm Kinda bummed too.

Seems to me to be a way of inflating the view count and making it so their stuff isn’t buried under newer content a week later.

If those are the reasons, I can understand it.  If I worked for years on something, I’d want to maximize its visibility too.

I think it also helps the individual skaters get a little more shine: more people will probably watch a solo part than if that part was buried in minute 36 of a 45 minute-long video.

Eventually releasing the video as a whole after they’ve milked the individual part releases seems like the best of both worlds.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2022, 06:26:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Definitely gave off a sick vibe of film what you do that day, whether it’s sick conventional skating (5-0 fs 3?!) or some dorky Magenta shit. Pretty much everything after the thread the needle manual on the bench is sick as fuck, but I’m definitely not detracting from the powerslide stuff. Board control is board control. Wonder if they could do one of those backside power slides right up to the edge then front 180 down. Dig the part.
[close]

as far as the part, it was a mixed bag to me, as others have said....IMO style is everything when it comes to that type of "non-hammer" skating...and while I love to watch Leo Valls cause he flows, well I won't rewatch that one.
also stair tricks landed on the middle of the last stair are still a big no no for me. Loved the powerslide to ollie thing though, don't recall seing that one before!

yeah, the magenta/ Gou Miyagi influences were clearly worn on sleeve for this one, but for me to pull off that style you need FLOW and some of that just felt plain clunky. Still better than anything my old arse is doing though...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:02:30 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2022, 06:26:35 AM »
Cool part, looked like they were genuinely having fun skateboarding, not sure how anyone can hate on that…

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2022, 10:21:15 AM »
fun fun fun

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »
I dig Marbie. I liked this part more than kien's even when the skating was less impressive.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2022, 01:45:33 PM »

This shit was hard. Fucks with it.

TheDingus

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2022, 09:23:31 PM »
Marbie is awesome.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2022, 08:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm Kinda bummed too.
[close]

Seems to me to be a way of inflating the view count and making it so their stuff isn’t buried under newer content a week later.

If those are the reasons, I can understand it.  If I worked for years on something, I’d want to maximize its visibility too.

I think it also helps the individual skaters get a little more shine: more people will probably watch a solo part than if that part was buried in minute 36 of a 45 minute-long video.

Eventually releasing the video as a whole after they’ve milked the individual part releases seems like the best of both worlds.

I guess so, but I agree with horses and ray on this one. I just want to watch the whole video, like the premiere, to get the whole vibe of there in the complete format. And breaking it up across Jenkem/Thrasher also seems to fracture it - I’m guessing you’d get alot more views on Thrasher, I wonder who decides who goes where, which obviously this will impact views, exposure, pro board sales etc. How does Marbie get relegated to second tier exposure on Jenkem, honestly!

I watched Kien, but now I’m going to wait til the full length to drop, rather than ruin it. Guess im old, but I don’t want to ruin the movie by watching all the partial scenes. Looking forward to it. Besides, can’t they just drop the individual parts after the full length? They really are ruining skateboarding ;D

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2022, 08:52:18 AM »
lol was surprised at the end with the switch flip and big heel stuff

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm Kinda bummed too.
[close]

[close]

I guess so, but I agree with horses and ray on this one. I just want to watch the whole video, like the premiere, to get the whole vibe of there in the complete format. And breaking it up across Jenkem/Thrasher also seems to fracture it - I’m guessing you’d get alot more views on Thrasher, I wonder who decides who goes where, which obviously this will impact views, exposure, pro board sales etc. How does Marbie get relegated to second tier exposure on Jenkem, honestly!

I watched Kien, but now I’m going to wait til the full length to drop, rather than ruin it. Guess im old, but I don’t want to ruin the movie by watching all the partial scenes. Looking forward to it. Besides, can’t they just drop the individual parts after the full length? They really are ruining skateboarding ;D

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2022, 10:48:23 AM »
I back Kien.

That 5oh front 3 needs to be taken to all spots!!! That was beautiful imo.

The white sweater with the two flowers is fit of the year for sure.

Skateboarding got ruined by the berries. Everyone knows that. There’s more than 10 tricks in skateboarding and now there’s no limit on what you can wear as a professional like it was in the 80s but better.

The only skateboarding law I think about and adhere to is the forbidden 14. I take ledges kinda seriously.

I hope everyone is doing alright out there. I’m fighting for peace still but I’m feeling dashed upon the rocks.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2022, 11:07:52 AM »
Wow....the video is an hour long! Props for putting out a full length.

Just Jeff Cheung part. Had no idea he rips. I just thought he was an art director and owner.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!