Author Topic: Bs 5050s on coping?  (Read 1029 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 235
Bs 5050s on coping?
« on: March 28, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »

I want to be able to stand up on bs 5050s on the small quarter at the park. Any tips?

Frank and Fred

Re: Bs 5050s on coping?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 08:15:31 PM »
My primary advice is learn them now. Don't get too far into transition skateboarding without dialing these in. I made that mistake. I consider myself a competent transition skater but it took me far too long to lock in backside 50-50s because I am more a of a frontside person. So much more is going to open up once you have a solid 50 50.

Anyway, keep more weight in the transition than you think you need to. When learning, most of us end up with too much weight on the platform with the board angled incorrectly. I try to keep my front shoulder leaning over the front truck. I personally like locking in my toe side wheels. I know some people like the cross lock. But figure out how you want to lock in. Its simple trick but unless you're a backside dominant skateboarder it can be frustrating to master.

Make sure you have Frontside 50 50s or stand up 5-Os also.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1055
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 08:34:15 PM »
Unlike F and F I am a bs skater first. I learned them on ramps by seeing how many I could do from side to side.

When I bail the trick it is because my back truck whips out when I am turning into the ramp.

Make sure you come in at a wide angle. Lift your front truck slightly and wait for your back truck to hit.

At that point just relax and bend your knees. Try to grind until you stop or turn in as you begin to loose speed. When you turn in with speed make sure your momentum is pushing your board across the transition not down.

I believe there is much more of an arc for bs than for fs, which is why fs looks more punk rock cause you are jamming your trucks into the coping. With bs you just arrive on the coping with a smooth arcing motion.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:54:31 AM by GardenSkater77 »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 04:45:17 AM »
I think I’m offering contrary advice from the others but I’d recommend learn them to stall first and really get on top of the coping. Go fairly straight at the coping and transfer your weight to the top of the deck. You might step off a few times backward but it’s important to get the feeling of being fully locked in AND getting out from that position.

When you get that dialed in, approach at an angle an it becomes a grind. You will be leaning slightly more into the ramp a bit more for that.

I didn’t learn to properly stall a 50-50 for 15 years so I wasn’t able to do long grinds without a ton of speed. I relearned them in my late 20’s and it’s a much easier trick now.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 07:47:42 AM »
I second Willie’s advice.

Bs 50-50 stalls first, standing up, and then pivoting back in.

It is just a bs kick turn on your back truck on the coping, but with enough speed to get you up on the deck.

When you get the hang of standing up, then you can work on truck position.

Most people want a cross-lock, with your back heelside wheel against the coping. For smaller transitions/low coping it’s not a dealbreaker if you don’t get it perfect, but for bigger transitions and bigger coping you’ll want that extra help getting back in without hanging up.

One you are comfortable doing those two things, then you can start hitting the coping with a bit more speed and a lower angle to help you travel across (don’t forget to keep your weight back of center so that you don’t stick on your front truck)

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 07:59:47 AM »
Cross lock on your backside 50-50s otherwise you can hang up pretty badly, especially since BS 50-50s aren't the most common trick for hangup's but if you do, it comes out of nowhere and this can end very badly.

I learned them by first learning backside pivots with my back truck locked heelside. then I started doing back pivots and smacking my front truck down. As soon as you have the stall down, learn how to grind them by approaching the coping with more speed and in bit of an angle.

switchfakie

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
the way i did it was i learned BS 5-0 stalls first, all you have to do is keep kickturning higher and higher on your quarter until you're basically kickturning right on top of the coping and holding it for a second.

then all it is from there is approaching the quarter at a 45-60 degree angle rather than straight on, whilst putting some more weight on your front foot so that your front truck grinds.

this way you'll get your cross lock everytime

if you're not crosslocking a back 5050 on coping, it just looks like you're not good, experienced or don't know what you're doing

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 11:06:23 AM »
i dont know if this helps or not. i try to zip into the grind very quickly in one motion and i liek to approach it dead straight on. depending on the circumstances this is not always possible but this is how i like to warm up at least. not everyone does this - some take a nice angle into it which is totally fine and i think is what you want for a longer grind... maybe... imo actually my way is better because you transfer more of the speed (you waste speed turning on the transition) for some reason i feel more comfortable my way, it feels more like i am ollieing or slappying into it.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 06:37:13 PM »
Good info everyone, thanks! I will put your tips to work.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 07:47:29 PM »
 I’m a rock fakie guy and have always sucked at this trick.  I did shitty double axel touches below coping and cheater 50-50 fakie but avoided a proper axel stall and 50-50.  I perpetually am in the ramp versus on top.  I actually learned frontside 50-50’s before backside. Both as an adult.

My advice is this:

1) practice the angled roll out onto the deck to get used to being on top.
2) in on your back toe but then you’re pushing through your heels to be on top.
3) lean back and push your front foot.  Your back shoulder needs to be lined up over your back leg, even more so.
4) don’t slash or slap in, slow down let that back truck get on

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 08:36:51 PM »
Learn the pinch that you like. I'm a heels wheel locked in guy, some do cross locks and some do toe wheels(?!)

Stand on your board on top of the coping and get comfortable with your wheels locked in on the coping. Lock in your heel side wheels and feel the pinch, move your body weight around, go to 5-0, now go back to axel stall, drop in

After you get that then learn the angle and speed you need to get on and on top