Mess Skate Mag
0 (0%)
Closer Skateboard Magazine
1 (4.2%)
Skate Jawn
1 (4.2%)
Push Periodical
0 (0%)
(Let me know what I'm missing, you can revote whenever)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Skate Magazine Appreciation and Archiving  (Read 746 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Skate Magazine Appreciation and Archiving
« on: June 06, 2022, 12:54:22 AM »
I just wanted to create a general skateboard magazine appreciation and archiving thread.

Discuss new mags, post screenshots or summaries of old mags, or just reminisce. Whatever you want to talk about.

I was inspired by @assvogel making an amazing post summarizing/comparing three magazine issues from 1998 in another thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120033.msg3806566#msg3806566
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FuzzGNU

Re: General Skate Magazine Appreciation and Archiving
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 12:55:24 AM »
From: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120033.msg3806566#msg3806566

Let’s do some research on what was happening in the skate mags in the year 98, that I picked up at random. (Note: Big Brother wasn't included because it's Big Brother).

Cover:
Thrasher has Cardiel blasting over paint cans in the rain, pretty hesh!
SLAP:Dan doing an inverted wallride, leaning a bit on the artsy-er side, awesome. Transworld: Kareem doing a crooked grind on a picnic table, stylish as f.

Op-Ed:
Transworld: Skin talking about the Kareem pro-spotlight by Atiba, you know it’s gonna be good.
Slap: Lance tells how his favorite thing about skating is getting hyped and cheer his friends when they are ripping, with instructions how to do it, Hoot-n-Holler, smack the coping as hard as you can,  “You can never make too much noise” etc. (Funny enough, SLAP forums are generally negative about this, see: Lower Bobs contest topic etc.).
Thrasher: Angel Dust has Phelps writing about Shao’s passing. “ I loved him. …my friends are gonna be there too…” he ends it.

Regulars:
Trash, Mush and Mandatory information offers the latest industry news. Letter-section are similar, skaters, stupid questions, haters, Muska, moms etc.

Music section:
Transworld: Please kill me-book, V/A Tibetian Freedom Concert CD, V/A Major Force West CD and The Verve. No particular direction here.
SLAP: Anthrax interview, One Man Army interview, Reviews include Swinging Utters, RTCF, Rancid, Slayer, Hatebreed, DMX, Buddha Monk, Massive Breakbeats etc. Definitely on the punk-edge with some rap/hip hop content in this issue.
Thrasher: Sunny Day Real Estate article, Chubbies interview, Notes from the Underground Wez lists bands like Qotsa, The Drags, Murder City Devils, AFI, One Man Army, Rancid, and Jen has the latest on Gangstar, Mobb Debb, Guru, Cypress Hill, PE etc.

Articles:
Transworld: Kareems pro-spotlight is great and indepth. Israel Forbes spotlight has some great photos, but the actual interview is ok. Otherwise you got your regular tour articles & contest articles, and local check outs.
SLAP: No big interview in this issue, instead there’s a bunch of smaller ones with the same questions (years skating, how high can you ollie, satan or god, dream session…) with Kanten Russell, Cairo, Hewitt, Schaaf and Puleo. Good lineup of skaters, but the questions are not too interesting. Pancho wrote a THINK tour article, there’s contest stuff etc.
Thrasher: Elissa has an interview AND the full-page spread doing a kickflip bs lipslide at the spot some generation might know as “School2 from THPS2”. Sick! Then there’s Buster Halterman interview, Jake Rupp interview, Tour stuff, up and comers, Gonz story, The Butcher check out. (Thrasher actually has the most things to read despite TWS having most pages).

Photos:
There’s great and terrible photos in all three, depending on who was holding the camera. If you wanted to rip some photos to put on your wall from the mag… I’d say the Kareem photos in Transworld are the best out of these (Atiba).Slap has good ones, Thrasher too, but the 90’s layout kinda hurts some of them.

Writing: Again, it really is about who wrote the thing, all three have great articles and boring ones. Transworld is definitely more "professional" where as both Slap and Thrasher are more raw. All 3 have things that haven't aged very well though.

Ads:
All three same pretty much the same ads (this was before Transworld got needy and started to give ads for US Army and shit). For why Transworld has the most pages, their ad-department was 3-4 times bigger than Slap or Transworld. But both Thrasher and Slap started getting bigger in the late 90’s early 00’s and it’s mostly thanks to things like THPS bringing a lot more audience AND advertisers.

Honestly, all three are worth flipping through and in the time where you couldn't just scroll on your phone through endless skate content, invaluable. Of course people have their own perceptions on what was cool and what was not (I was a Thrasher kid and Transworld was whatever), but as I get older I can find more and more cool shit in these and something you can't replicate on the interweb.

FuzzGNU

Re: Skate Magazine Appreciation and Archiving
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 01:25:15 AM »
I just got a big order from Theories of Atlantis because they had a great sale going on and they sell most of the current skate mags being made these days.

I got Stoops, Grey, Solo, Free, Vague, North, Skate Jawn, Push. Let me know if you guys have questions about any of them in terms of size, print quality, content, aesthetic, etc.

Vague has a really cool cover art bordering the cover photo... The cover artwork wraps around to the back too which is awesome.

WPG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 08:40:33 AM »
Vague looks covers do have great art, right now I only sub to Thrasher but I see that SBC Skateboard Canada is making mags again, which I had a sub to growing up so I might re sub to it.
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 10:21:29 AM »
I just got a big order from Theories of Atlantis because they had a great sale going on and they sell most of the current skate mags being made these days.

I got Stoops, Grey, Solo, Free, Vague, North, Skate Jawn, Push. Let me know if you guys have questions about any of them in terms of size, print quality, content, aesthetic, etc.

Vague has a really cool cover art bordering the cover photo... The cover artwork wraps around to the back too which is awesome.

great thread, might be a good idea to have a list of links stores online that sell and maybe even the store page of the mag itself? mostly to help with smaller pubs and zines, obv we all where thrasher is lol. just brainstorming btw

also as far as other magazines go, confusion comes to mind. skate mag with a focus on diy spots
site - https://www.confuzine.com/
store - https://confusionmagazine.bigcartel.com/
issuu (digital back issues) - https://issuu.com/confusionmagazine/docs

blurst_of_times

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 12:01:53 AM »
Here's some shameless self-promotion: I have a blog where I scan & upload stuff from my magazine collection.

https://skatemagscans.blogspot.com/?m=1
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.