Author Topic: Cult of the Huffer  (Read 43779 times)

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
Re: Cult of the Huffer
« Reply #240 on: June 16, 2022, 10:25:20 AM »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2022, 10:35:21 AM »
Huffer will be my next board for sure. Should be perfect for the type of skating I do which is mostly transition nowadays. I liked the blue meanie I had before but I'd like more width than it has. Should I go with Af1 66s or 60s?

The deck is ~8.75” at the trucks, so either one would work. I ride mostly transition and I use Indy 169s without any issues.

I’ve tried it with Indy 149s, 159s, 169s, and Ace classic 55/AF1 66. They all work fine, it’s all preference.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2022, 10:44:00 AM »
Are there any Huffers that don't have the Eagle graphic?

Legit thinking of putting one on..... Royals.

The black Cardiel one is pretty sick if you can still find them

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2022, 10:59:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Huffer will be my next board for sure. Should be perfect for the type of skating I do which is mostly transition nowadays. I liked the blue meanie I had before but I'd like more width than it has. Should I go with Af1 66s or 60s?
[close]

The deck is ~8.75” at the trucks, so either one would work. I ride mostly transition and I use Indy 169s without any issues.

I’ve tried it with Indy 149s, 159s, 169s, and Ace classic 55/AF1 66. They all work fine, it’s all preference.

Ok, that sounds perfect. I recently had an 8.8 popsicle with Ace 55 classics and it felt good.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #244 on: June 16, 2022, 11:07:39 AM »
You'll dig it with Classic 55s for sure. They liven up the 14.75 WB nicely.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2022, 12:25:49 PM »
i have a brand new in shrink curbageddon huffer id be willing to sell/ship for a reasonable price (or trade).  anyone interested just PM me.

@LebowskisRug

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2022, 12:33:05 PM »
do it @LebowskisRug I'll be more than fair/generous, i just need to clear out some space.

also: is CK skating a huffer in this gif?

hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2022, 12:53:11 PM »
do it @LebowskisRug I'll be more than fair/generous, i just need to clear out some space.

I’m fairly certain he is. Around this time I had the full kit, the shoes, what approximated his complete to be, outrageous/fatherless Stan type maneuvers…CK too sick

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2022, 03:07:35 PM »
I am devoted to the Loveseat because of that tiny ass wheelbase, but am curious about The Huffer; how do you homies flip a 14.75” wb tho? So brutal. I’ve got a Frog with 15” and it’s a real chore to flip that thing around so I don’t really need another tank….
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2022, 03:27:06 PM »
@mattchew Didn’t think I’d be able to on thunders as I’m typically a WB snob. It still works somehow. Tres can scrape due to the length.

My knee has been fucked so I haven’t been able to skate like I use to, but I’ve been able to pop some proper heels and kickflips.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:03:56 PM by TurdyBird »
The chillest1

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »

It’s more likely to be a Phawt, no? It’s very similar to huffer though.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2022, 05:13:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s more likely to be a Phawt, no? It’s very similar to huffer though.

I’m pretty sure it’s a huffer: it used to really grind my gears: girl, a company started by the youth to be youthful and be their own boss’, took fooooooorever to realize that their best pro was making a board from a different company cool/desirable. It took girl so long to make the phawt. Maybe it was out of consideration to dlx, maybe it was those dudes being super asleep at the wheel. Like if you look how long it took Carroll to go from h-street to plan b to girl**? Those dudes seem like they should be able to remember what it felt like to deal with the old slow moving companies. Or something.

**tbh I was in and out of paying attention to skating in the early 90s, and really started paying more attention in I think 1994, when girl was already going, so I’m not sure about Carroll’s sponsors, my feeble point was that shit changed so fast during that time, and the same dudes that were responsible for changing it, would still be giving us the same out to lunch zumiez cw’s if other people hadn’t come in (Pontus, palace, fa, etc) and forced them to switch it up a bit.
Why am I ranting.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2022, 06:09:17 PM »
CK Huffer footage is really what sold me on the shape in the fist place. I was stoked to try a Phawt. The first one I had, had a great shape but was on the older shittier wood. I am currently on a Phawt and the wood is pretty amazing. However, the shape is not as a good as  Huffer and the concave is a tad too steep for my taste. Not a Huffer but a very close back up.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2022, 08:31:46 PM »
I am devoted to the Loveseat because of that tiny ass wheelbase, but am curious about The Huffer; how do you homies flip a 14.75” wb tho? So brutal. I’ve got a Frog with 15” and it’s a real chore to flip that thing around so I don’t really need another tank….

I am taller and don't really do too much on it, so it is not a problem, but a couple of pages back, a few Pals had redrilled the nose in about 3/8" (using the six hole baseplate it works perfectly) and found that it was a whole lot easier for them to skate, so there is that option too.  It makes the nose a more conventional nose to tail ratio as well, not that I couldn't nose slide on my Huffer easily enough.

That would be one way to enjoy it a bit more if you wanted to get one.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2022, 08:35:11 PM »
I was just out skating curbs and flatgounrd on my couch and I swear my flip tricks were terrible. Then when I jump back on the Hiuffer, they come back. I can't explain it. I have enjoyed the smaller wheelbase trend to an extent and I did relearn some flips but then I take to them to the Huffer and its even better.

Why or why do I mess with non-Huffer shapes? Please stop me.

I have two more unskated decks in my pile, an 8.4 Grimple and 9" Love seat, after that I think its Huffer commitment...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #255 on: June 16, 2022, 08:44:40 PM »
I was just out skating curbs and flatgounrd on my couch and I swear my flip tricks were terrible. Then when I jump back on the Hiuffer, they come back. I can't explain it. I have enjoyed the smaller wheelbase trend to an extent and I did relearn some flips but then I take to them to the Huffer and its even better.

I have two more unskated decks in my pile, an 8.4 Grimple and 9" Love seat, after that I think its Huffer commitment...

Don't we all have to try something different from time to time, if for nothing more than to justify that what you really do want to skate is the best option for you?

It sure is fun trying all these different boards that come through my hands, but when I am on my usual setup, things just work and that is what makes me happy.

The Black Label snake Jake boards were on a really good sale, so I got a couple and yes they are like a little brother of the Huffer, but the Huffer is still such a good ride in itself.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: June 16, 2022, 09:48:13 PM »
Someone on here, forgive me, referenced Jahmal Williams, yes the, saying something about longer wb’s make for better kickflips. There is something to this. I’ve cooled out (for now) on the extreme ends of the spectrum and riding (and enjoying) some really ‘sensible’ board dimensions, but I’ve put a lot of time into tiny short boards, and big long wide boards. My regular kickflips are better on big long wide boards.
Also, this point has been made and I want to co-sign: the huffer has some magic/secret sauce to it. I’ve ridden some dlx boards, 8.38-8.6 that were 32.25-5 in length and for me, fucking sucked for most of the skating I do. The concave, shape, whatever, on the huffer, treflips waaaaay easier. Dunno why.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2022, 09:55:04 PM »
I always thought the tail shape and length was perfect for 360 flips, especially for my sloppy brand of old man one in ten tre.

pops

« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2022, 03:43:16 AM »

I skated a few sub 14.25wb decks and only treflips and pop shoves felt quicker but everything else felt off. I can't do a proper kickflip or heelflip with a short deck. Also, when paired with trucks like Ace, short decks feel super heavy. I'm curious to try the Huffer shape and see if it will be the one.

pops

« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2022, 07:12:44 AM »
 What's your preferred wheel shape and size for Huffer? My trucks are Ace 55s (9"). I've been considering either F4 Conicals, CFs or OG classics in 54 or 55. Also, are the 97d spits worth checking or should I stick to 99d.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2022, 07:42:48 AM »
What's your preferred wheel shape and size for Huffer? My trucks are Ace 55s (9"). I've been considering either F4 Conicals, CFs or OG classics in 54 or 55. Also, are the 97d spits worth checking or should I stick to 99d.

I’ve been riding the oski 55 radials and they seem to be really nice on Indy 149s. I would say give the og classics a shot? 54-55 does seem to be the sweet spot for an all terrain ride, not so big you can’t throw in a kickflip here or there

pops

« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2022, 08:58:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve been riding the oski 55 radials and they seem to be really nice on Indy 149s. I would say give the og classics a shot? 54-55 does seem to be the sweet spot for an all terrain ride, not so big you can’t throw in a kickflip here or there

OG classics seem to be harder to find here. I found some Conical regulars that are 54 and 56mm on discount.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #262 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:22 AM »
Huffers looks great with smaller more rounded wheels. But I tend to set mine up with 58mm Classics. I have a set I am about to give away that went from 58 to 52 on various Huffers, they just stayed good and looked even better as the contact patch widened. Classic Fulls in smaller sizes would work well.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #263 on: June 24, 2022, 09:10:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

OG classics seem to be harder to find here. I found some Conical regulars that are 54 and 56mm on discount.

No wheel beats a sale wheel. I run conicals on my street bird but 52mm. I’m sure they’re just as good in the bigger size

pops

« Reply #264 on: June 24, 2022, 10:01:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No wheel beats a sale wheel. I run conicals on my street bird but 52mm. I’m sure they’re just as good in the bigger size

I went with the 56mm conicals. Should be a good setup for transition.  :)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2022, 12:12:05 PM »

Here we go

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #266 on: June 26, 2022, 12:14:15 PM »

Here we go

Hell yeah man, sick set up. Love the LRABs too

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: June 26, 2022, 02:11:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Here we go
[close]

Thanks - I’m looking forward to skating it this week and experiencing the magic of my first Huffer. 

Canvas Hi’s are the truth

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2022, 11:17:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Here we go
[close]

[close]

Thanks - I’m looking forward to skating it this week and experiencing the magic of my first Huffer. 

Solid first day

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Here we go
[close]

[close]

[close]

Solid first day

Nose slides galore!