Author Topic: Mini ramp surface...cement sheet?  (Read 1007 times)

Hughcollins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Mini ramp surface...cement sheet?
« on: April 09, 2022, 10:14:14 PM »
Gday, I’m currently building a mini ramp for my backyard and am looking at alternatives to skate lite. Was thinking cement sheet + paint with sand in it for grip might work? Has anyone experimented with cement sheet?

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: Mini ramp surface...cement sheet?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 05:34:50 AM »
Cement sheet will probably break very easily. Might not even bend without breaking.

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 12:43:43 PM »

I've always wonder about that too. You will still need a layer or two of plywood underneath, but that is still my assumption since I don't think anyone has done it.

Depending on what country you live in some cement boards come with asbestos in them, especially if they are made in India

Only a psychopath would add sand grit to a mini ramp surface, so I would get my brain checked if I was you

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 06:00:50 PM »
A friend of mine built his kid a mini and used that stuff. I remember him telling me “this is either going to be brilliant or stupid”.

Keep in mind he doesn’t skate and his kids aren’t good but he says it’s held up decently over two Minnesota winters. He wrote me today when I asked about it:

“ It’s holding up great.  Only lump in the surface is actually from the wood underneath.  Only drawback is that it is easily gouged by scooters”

I’ve never seen it in person and for all I know the concrete could be holding moisture against the under layer but it sounds like it might not be completely ridiculous.