Author Topic: NFG Bushings  (Read 4173 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 333
Re: NFG Bushings
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 12:09:01 PM »
I'm late to the party, I thought they posted pics of their new bushings and cups in that natural urethane color and definitely did not expect them to even consider adding dye to the mix. I can't believe the urethane wizard would go against his New Urethane Order and do something like this. Shame on you wizard...shame on you.

Seriously though, I wanted to try natural colored bushings for the first time. I don't want some random ugly colors to arrive, wack.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 09:18:22 PM »
I put a 95 cone / 90 barrel combo on some 6.1s tonight with stock cupped washers. I’ll post once they break in but they were nice with flush nuts for the first ride.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2022, 06:02:15 AM »
have a few bubbles in my low bushings, dont mind it though
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2022, 12:40:18 PM »

Adds character

IpathCats

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »

Damn, I thought people were just joking about the bubbles. Haven't gone through the nfg/loophole thread much. Is this a recurring theme?

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn, I thought people were just joking about the bubbles. Haven't gone through the nfg/loophole thread much. Is this a recurring theme?

I only have bought wheels, my shit has always been always, but yea have had bubbles and stuff
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2022, 07:41:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

used to be worse i feel like but yeah lol. now days, i'll get bubbles in the same spots i see them on f4's, so nothing crazy and it's never affected performance. can't speak for the factory seconds though.

my bushings also had speed bubbles

LebowskisRug

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2022, 08:02:18 PM »
I've never had a bubble on a F4 and I have never had them loose chunks like Loopholes do.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2022, 08:36:57 PM »
I've never had a bubble on a F4 and I have never had them loose chunks like Loopholes do.

never say never, it could happen to you! but really, it'll just be small and in the bearing seat area and affect nothing (and not chunk out)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2022, 08:51:21 PM »

Might be hard to get over how something looks (yes I am guilty of it too) but as long as they work for the intended purpose, then all is good.

Interested to hear how people find them after a while, but I know that will take time too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2022, 09:18:22 AM »
I don't recall ever getting bubbles in bushings, but every brand of wheel I've skated had bubbles in the bearing seat area; it's just how it goes (and doesn't affect performance). Some people always need to whine about something.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2022, 09:35:48 AM »
I got my first set of Loophole’s early on and one wheel was pitted like a golfball. It was just around the sides and not on the contact patch.
It was a little disappointing/disturbing at first. But. Most of it buffed out in a week and had no performance issues.
I love their wheels and haven’t skated anything else in 4(?) years.
I guess that’s why I have such high hopes for their bushings. I do, however, wanna wait it out a little, let them get it dialed, and hear some reviews before I spend $15 on something that is going to change the fact that I’m a terrible skateboarder.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2022, 10:36:05 AM »
I don't recall ever getting bubbles in bushings, but every brand of wheel I've skated had bubbles in the bearing seat area; it's just how it goes (and doesn't affect performance). Some people always need to whine about something.

Too large of bubbles in a bushing will lead to more cracks later as the edges of bubble become stress voids. You probably won't notice it for the most part, I could imagine Thunder and Venture tops cracking as those trucks put more stress on the top bushing in my experience. Usually bubbles in bushings are near the edge or bottom of something as agitation leads to the bubbles rising and then it becomes no big deal. I also see bubble reliefs in the wheel well areas which makes sense since those areas won't wear or cause issues.

What is annoying in a wheel is when the outer surface has lots of bubbles. With my 2 sets of Loopholes this leads to things flaking off and pitting. I feel like if I am going to stray from a known entity like F4 that the comparable product should be roughly as durable and I can't imagine a wheel that pits and sheds urethane is.  I skated both on pretty good ground and they lost urethane faster than F4 and SMLs I have had with no noticeable positive performance differences.

I wanted to support a smaller brand, but don't see a reason to do so. It's not complaining for complaining's sake, I think they make an inferior quality product because they do not control for all the bubbles and voids in their products.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2022, 11:05:57 AM »
Does anyone know the sizing for stock Thunder Bushings in the NFG bushings? I'm sure it's somewhere in the bushing thread but I couldn't find it and I don't have a caliper.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
Does anyone know the sizing for stock Thunder Bushings in the NFG bushings? I'm sure it's somewhere in the bushing thread but I couldn't find it and I don't have a caliper.

It took a while to find this post again from Feb 2021, so this time maybe I should include some key words like bushing measurement height and similar so it is easier to find.

Anyway, some of these might have had some changes required, eg the Indy aftermarket black bushings have been said to be 14mm tall for the bottoms, which is curious.

Anything else to note and I can change this post to reflect the correct measurements / heights as well.

Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder stock 90a and aftermarket (same) 90a, 94a, 95a, 98a, 100a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

so these are probably what you're looking for
https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/95a-mid-conical-bushings-set-of-2
https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/95a-half-conical-bushings-set-of-2

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2022, 11:20:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

It took a while to find this post again from Feb 2021, so this time maybe I should include some key words like bushing measurement height and similar so it is easier to find.

Anyway, some of these might have had some changes required, eg the Indy aftermarket black bushings have been said to be 14mm tall for the bottoms, which is curious.

Anything else to note and I can change this post to reflect the correct measurements / heights as well.

Expand Quote
[close]

Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

[close]

Thank you!!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2022, 11:26:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

[close]

[close]

Thank you!!

Note that 14mm NFG bushing is TALLER than the supposed 14mm Thunder measurement, not by much, .5 at the least. so one of the measurements isn't accurate.

That said, it's close enough!

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2022, 11:45:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

[close]

[close]

Thank you!!

[close]

Note that 14mm NFG bushing is TALLER than the supposed 14mm Thunder measurement, not by much, .5 at the least. so one of the measurements isn't accurate.

interesting, because they have a half-conical+ that is listed as 14.5 lol. so maybe that one is closer to 15??

oh @BartHarleyJarvis they apparently have a thunder bottom that's 90a but not a top. i'd still feel bad not linking it though
https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/90a-half-conical-bushings-set-of-2

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2022, 01:05:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

[close]

[close]

Thank you!!

[close]

[close]

interesting, because they have a half-conical+ that is listed as 14.5 lol. so maybe that one is closer to 15??

oh @BartHarleyJarvis they apparently have a thunder bottom that's 90a but not a top. i'd still feel bad not linking it though
https://www.nfgmfg.com/product-page/90a-half-conical-bushings-set-of-2

That's what I'm using. I didn't measure, just did a side by side (back a page or two) to a thunder bushing. That was ridden once or twice (and had already been compressed down from the factory compared to the virgin NFG bushings straight to package).

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2022, 02:13:48 PM »
Thanks @iw0 and @Xen

I'm still hoping to find a package of the new Thunder bushings, but the NFG bushings are good to have in my back pocket. i'm due for some wheels so if there's a memorial day sale. may do wheels and the bushings...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2022, 05:01:11 PM »
Thanks @iw0 and @Xen

I'm still hoping to find a package of the new Thunder bushings, but the NFG bushings are good to have in my back pocket. i'm due for some wheels so if there's a memorial day sale. may do wheels and the bushings...

they've a bunch of factory second wheels up there at a good discount + a subscriber/newsletter code that could save you some bucks.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2022, 08:41:02 AM »

I’ve had multiple F4s with bubbles on the inside seat of the bearing. I assume that this doesn’t qualify as a defect for them since it’s not going to cause a problem over the skating life of the wheel.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2022, 02:06:43 PM »
Any update on how you guys are liking the bushings? Been debating on getting some for my thunders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2022, 06:50:57 PM »
Any update on how you guys are liking the bushings? Been debating on getting some for my thunders.

They're too soft; stock thunders are much stiffer, even at 90a.

The NFGs just made the thunders floop over = instant wheel bite. I had to crank them down where I had 3 threads showing and even then...they pretty much ruined everything and I hated every second; this was on both forged and cast.

Put the thunder stock bottom back on with the nfg cup and nfg low (95a) top and it was fine/no different feeling than the sanded down thunder 90a tops I usually rode. Using the 90a bottom nfg and 90a stock top, still too soft.

Still prefer the Venom bottom/riptide combo I have on hand.

Did I mentioned they're soft?

Ol Nick

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 06:27:24 PM »
I went with 90 bottoms and 95 tops in Thunder and Ace sizes and they are way soft on both setups. I have 52s on the thunders with no riser and 54 on the Ace with 1/8” risers AND ~3mm wheel wells and both are rideable but scary. I’m hoping a little time and compression will make them stiffen up closer to what stock 90a bushings feel like.

I don’t knowing of anything about urethane but have heard that it will continue to cure and harden over time which makes me wonder if the big difference is that these are coming straight out of the oven and a stock set has probably been on a shelf or in a box for a lot longer by the time I get em.

It also occurred to me that on Riptide’s site they mention their bushing formula feeling softer than comparable duro bushings from other factories; I’ve never ridden them but maybe this is a similar situation where the formula reads as 90 but something about it allows for more squish?

I had fun riding both setups different days but I’m definitely not about to go all out on em till they break in cause they’ll pitch me super quick.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2022, 08:19:15 PM »
I went with 90 bottoms and 95 tops in Thunder and Ace sizes and they are way soft on both setups. I have 52s on the thunders with no riser and 54 on the Ace with 1/8” risers AND ~3mm wheel wells and both are rideable but scary. I’m hoping a little time and compression will make them stiffen up closer to what stock 90a bushings feel like.

I don’t knowing of anything about urethane but have heard that it will continue to cure and harden over time which makes me wonder if the big difference is that these are coming straight out of the oven and a stock set has probably been on a shelf or in a box for a lot longer by the time I get em.

It also occurred to me that on Riptide’s site they mention their bushing formula feeling softer than comparable duro bushings from other factories; I’ve never ridden them but maybe this is a similar situation where the formula reads as 90 but something about it allows for more squish?

I had fun riding both setups different days but I’m definitely not about to go all out on em till they break in cause they’ll pitch me super quick.

The NFGs are just soft with no rebound, there is no resistance at all (I'm 185lbs) for a 90a duro, they are softer than any brands 87-88 I've tried (Indy, super cush, riptide), etc. They're even softer feeling that ACE or Royals (but both of them have actual rebound); they felt like old ass bones softs.

I'm running 87a Riptide tops/bottoms in my Tensors (rips too short for the thunders) and the Riptides are light years ahead of the NFGs. I switched to the 95a NFG top in that tensor setup and it did nothing to firm up the reaction time despite be 9+ duro, to counter I swapped in a 96a indy top, massive difference and only 1 duro ahead of hte NFG top...so yeah, they for sure are softer than advertised, by a min -5

The Venom 86a bottoms I ran with those rip tops in thunders are sooo much better than the nfgs.

Better luck next time NFG.

The pivot cups drop into any pivot cavity and seem to work great tho (also in my tensors).

Ol Nick

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2022, 06:49:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The NFGs are just soft with no rebound, there is no resistance at all (I'm 185lbs) for a 90a duro, they are softer than any brands 87-88 I've tried (Indy, super cush, riptide), etc. They're even softer feeling that ACE or Royals (but both of them have actual rebound); they felt like old ass bones softs.

I'm running 87a Riptide tops/bottoms in my Tensors (rips too short for the thunders) and the Riptides are light years ahead of the NFGs. I switched to the 95a NFG top in that tensor setup and it did nothing to firm up the reaction time despite be 9+ duro, to counter I swapped in a 96a indy top, massive difference and only 1 duro ahead of hte NFG top...so yeah, they for sure are softer than advertised, by a min -5

The Venom 86a bottoms I ran with those rip tops in thunders are sooo much better than the nfgs.

The pivot cups drop into any pivot cavity and seem to work great tho (also in my tensors).
So it’s been a week and I had a few chances to skate and didn’t want to waste any of it changing bushings so I rode the Aces all week and I think I’m starting to get actual rebound out of them. I’m about to swap in stock to see if it’s real or I’m hallucinating. I don’t think my ankles have gotten significantly stronger in one week. Maybe they just need to compress a little to break in. I’ll update at some point.

How is that pivot bushing?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2022, 03:45:25 AM »

I feel like a lot of new first use bushings are almost unbearably soft with no give whatsoever, but after a few very gentle sessions around a park, carpark or on my ramp at home, they firm up significantly.

Whether or not this would also be the case for these bushings is something that people would need to test out but as said, give them a few sessions to really see if they work or they stay soft and squishy.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2022, 06:56:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
So it’s been a week and I had a few chances to skate and didn’t want to waste any of it changing bushings so I rode the Aces all week and I think I’m starting to get actual rebound out of them. I’m about to swap in stock to see if it’s real or I’m hallucinating. I don’t think my ankles have gotten significantly stronger in one week. Maybe they just need to compress a little to break in. I’ll update at some point.

How is that pivot bushing?

After a few more sessions they didn't firm up. I had to focus more on how I turned/how much weight I was using rather than skating so I wouldn't be insta pitched due to wheel bite. The floopflop initiated with the bottom bushing was outright dangerous for me.

I returned to stock Thunder bushings and everything was fine.

Pivot cups work fine? Can't tell a difference.

The 95a top works ok, but compared to a 96a indy top the 95a nfg might as well be a bones soft.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 08:42:00 PM by Xen »

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2022, 03:04:54 PM »
I’ve been testing them out in the makeshift Indy Lows I have on my junk board (mid hangers on forged plates).

I have the 95A barrel on the board side and the shortest 95A cone on the road side. They really are strangely loose for 95A, but when I tried the next tallest cone, they were too tight. In a low truck, I honestly don’t mind them. They have a very smooth feel, no squeaking or friction on the turn, and they definitely give you more turn than your typical low truck. Pivots are nice as well.

I don’t think I’ll try them on a high-high truck because I know I’ll hate it, but I may give these a run on my Venture 5.6s someday. I like a little extra range of motion on those.

Really wish they just stuck to the natural colored urethane, though. I like the “homemade in a garage” aesthetic, but I’m not crazy about the totally random colors.