Author Topic: Selling advice - magazines  (Read 374 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Selling advice - magazines
« on: April 16, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »
Has anyone here sold or bought old skate mags?

I see them all of the time on ebay, and then yesterday on Depop.  Prices have clearly gone up, and I have five boxes of them I certainly don't need.

Primarily, how are they shipped?  A large envelope with a couple of cardboard sleeves to protect it?  Media Mail or Priority?

How much info about the issue is expected?  I'm not going to list every article, and memorable ad in a listing.

Im thinking photos of front and back covers plus a single inner page shot should be sufficient.

Pricing is another issue.  Start low and let it bid up.  Research and put a high but fair price on them.

Lastly, what are Depop fees like?  I've bought two things but never sold on there.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Selling advice - magazines
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 04:18:06 PM »
I'd say it would be important to have a quick flick through and check that there's no pages or sections cut/torn out
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 05:59:57 PM »

I see them all of the time on ebay, and then yesterday on Depop.  Prices have clearly gone up, and I have five boxes of them I certainly don't need.

Primarily, how are they shipped?  A large envelope with a couple of cardboard sleeves to protect it?  Media Mail or Priority?

How much info about the issue is expected?  I'm not going to list every article, and memorable ad in a listing.

Im thinking photos of front and back covers plus a single inner page shot should be sufficient.

Pricing is another issue.  Start low and let it bid up.  Research and put a high but fair price on them.

Lastly, what are Depop fees like?  I've bought two things but never sold on there.

I used to buy old skate mags on eBay quite a bit in the 00's, before the whole 90's nostalgia trip took off and so prices must have been at an all-time low, I remember enjoying the shit out of that time period and randomly getting myself delivered big stacks of SLAP, TWS, Big Brother, etc.

My experience: regarding shipping, whenever I ordered nothing more than a literal couple of mags a cardboard envelope with some kind of pseudo protective wrapping around them would do the trick. Make sure it's waterproof (could be just a plastic bag) as I've heard of print content ruined just from the envelope being handled in the rain before, so that does in fact happen. Sometimes I'd order more mags (say a pile of 10, 15) from one seller and those would come in a box, I reckon you could use shoeboxes if the size fits some of the mags.

I remember mostly going off the cover to figure out an issue's content (if a buyer really is interested then they will look them up and that info usually is easily accessible), and that's the image people were generally posting too, had to be a photo though, not a scan so one could gauge the condition of the mag. Random page(s) or double page(s) are a good bonus, back cover I suspect only the most hardcore of collectors would give a shit, usually that's an ad anyway (reinforcing my point).

Like I was saying, I loved that time period in the 00's because it was dead easy to run into amazing deals, the 90's were unpopular and so rare were the people looking out for those mags. Most sellers were on the start-low-and-let-it-bid-up program, except I'd throw in like a buck and no one would ever outbid me, or maybe that happened once or twice tops. In general I feel like those people were less about making money than letting go of the mags for practical reasons and/or out of principle, though. If you're actually shooting for some cash here then maybe you should start fair-but-accessible, also with set offers for bulk orders. 'My' sellers were doing that and it always tempted me because when you can get 10 mags for, say the price of 7, then 20 for the price of 10 etc. it's just convenient to get the most bang out of your buck.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 04:04:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I used to buy old skate mags on eBay quite a bit in the 00's, before the whole 90's nostalgia trip took off and so prices must have been at an all-time low, I remember enjoying the shit out of that time period and randomly getting myself delivered big stacks of SLAP, TWS, Big Brother, etc.

My experience: regarding shipping, whenever I ordered nothing more than a literal couple of mags a cardboard envelope with some kind of pseudo protective wrapping around them would do the trick. Make sure it's waterproof (could be just a plastic bag) as I've heard of print content ruined just from the envelope being handled in the rain before, so that does in fact happen. Sometimes I'd order more mags (say a pile of 10, 15) from one seller and those would come in a box, I reckon you could use shoeboxes if the size fits some of the mags.

I remember mostly going off the cover to figure out an issue's content (if a buyer really is interested then they will look them up and that info usually is easily accessible), and that's the image people were generally posting too, had to be a photo though, not a scan so one could gauge the condition of the mag. Random page(s) or double page(s) are a good bonus, back cover I suspect only the most hardcore of collectors would give a shit, usually that's an ad anyway (reinforcing my point).

Like I was saying, I loved that time period in the 00's because it was dead easy to run into amazing deals, the 90's were unpopular and so rare were the people looking out for those mags. Most sellers were on the start-low-and-let-it-bid-up program, except I'd throw in like a buck and no one would ever outbid me, or maybe that happened once or twice tops. In general I feel like those people were less about making money than letting go of the mags for practical reasons and/or out of principle, though. If you're actually shooting for some cash here then maybe you should start fair-but-accessible, also with set offers for bulk orders. 'My' sellers were doing that and it always tempted me because when you can get 10 mags for, say the price of 7, then 20 for the price of 10 etc. it's just convenient to get the most bang out of your buck.

I should have just come to you in the first place. 

Thanks, that is helpful information.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 02:42:29 AM »
I've just started selling my skate mag collection on ebay....Only sold 2 so far, but I'm not in a hurry....I have a lot of them! including some ancient SLAP issues with the big format...anyways yes, prices have gone up apparently, but in fact I'm not sure there are that many people willing to buy this stuff. we'll see! in case anyone's interested:

https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/195047591056