Author Topic: 1998 Toy Machine/Zero/Foundation Tum Yeto Canada Tour Raw Demo Footy  (Read 1662 times)

Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

1998 Toy Machine/Zero/Foundation Tum Yeto Demo in Regina, Saskatchewan for Tiki Room Skateshop.

Featuring Ed Templeton, Jamie Thomas, Mike Maldonado, Jim Greco, Bam Margera, Matt Mumford, Adrian Lopez, Tony DaSilva, Judd Hertzler, Jon West, and Shane Heyl. Elissa Steamer and Erik Ellington were there but not skating.

I found a Hi8 tape with this footage in a box in my storage room and knew I had to capture it. Me and my friends drove 2.5 hours from our city to see the demo. The filming and the quality of the footage is shit but there's hilarious behind the camera commentary. I didn't try and make a cool edit out of it, just cut out all the bails and dead space and tried to leave in any tricks and interesting stuff. The orginal capture was around an hour long and I managed to get it down to this nineteen minute video. Some more tricks were landed that we didn't get because we ran out of tape at the end of the demo.

Only thirty three seconds from this demo made it into the Tum Yeto Canada Road Trip tour article in 411 Issue 29. (The best 411 tour article of all time.) So it’s cool to uncover this footage that may have never been seen again unless I found that tape.

Funny thing is you can hear us complaining that no one wanted to film because you couldn’t see everything going on. I doubt this tape was ever watched until I pulled out of the box. So I guess capturing and sharing it made the whole thing worth it.
Hope you enjoy!

Here's the 411 article from this tour:

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
Re: 1998 Toy Machine/Zero/Foundation Tum Yeto Canada Tour Raw Demo Footy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 07:50:07 PM »
Damn, they laid the pipe down in Regina.

Say what you will about Thomas, the man takes demos seriously.

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 10:50:24 PM »
Stylish and powerful yet relatable skating. No nuthugger pants yet but also no goofy jnco swag. I really like this era tumyeto.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 11:17:27 PM »
@Watson this is such a sick time capsule. Is that you and your friends doing commentary?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 08:46:24 AM »
damn i will never complain about being from ontario again

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 09:31:22 AM »
@Watson this is such a sick time capsule. Is that you and your friends doing commentary?

Yeah that's my friends filming and talking. It's hilarious. After watching the tape back I think for some reason I actually wasn't there. Don't remember why I wouldn't have gone, must have been out of town or something like that. I think I lent them my camera to film while they were on the trip but told them they had to film the demo for me. Something like that. I must not have been there because I'm a fucking loudmouth and you would have been able to hear me talking for sure.

There's a hilarious part I left out where Shane Heyl bails a trick over the hip for the millionth time and one of my friends says "This guy suuuuuuuucks."

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 09:52:32 AM »
This is a relic... Thank you for this.

"Ellington is sick as a dog" Probably means Ellington is hungover... Also, I didn't even realize that was young Jim Greco at first... This is so rad... Ed is fucking going for it... So amazing.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:04:57 AM »
This is so cool. What a special time and line up for that crew.

Makes me want to attend an old fashioned demo.

assvogel

• Rep: 202
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 01:28:04 PM »
Great stuff, skaters were ripping and the kids were stoked! I miss demos!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 03:52:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that's my friends filming and talking. It's hilarious. After watching the tape back I think for some reason I actually wasn't there. Don't remember why I wouldn't have gone, must have been out of town or something like that. I think I lent them my camera to film while they were on the trip but told them they had to film the demo for me. Something like that. I must not have been there because I'm a fucking loudmouth and you would have been able to hear me talking for sure.

There's a hilarious part I left out where Shane Heyl bails a trick over the hip for the millionth time and one of my friends says "This guy suuuuuuuucks."
Lol amazing. I'm about to watch it again. I dig this one almost as much as the Joey Bast Timecode remix.
In case there's someone who hasn't seen it:

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 08:51:28 PM »
Favorites quotes:
"That's Jim Greco?"
"Ohhhhh! Man takes off the hoody and rips it up." - response to Jamie Thomas grinding a rail
"The fuck was that?" - response to Ed Templeton's impossible over the pyramid
"Adrian Lopez... Elissa Steamer...and some whackooo" - referring to Erik Ellington
"Was that fakie by Matt Beach?", "What? No.", "Who the heck is that guy?", "It's not Matt Beach. He doesn't look anything like that.", "Who is that guy?" - referring to Bam Margera (I think)

so good

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 02:17:07 PM »
Yeah that's Bam Margera when they're talking about Matt Beach. That part is hilarious.

I also love my friend Brent saying "I swear being here is gonna change my life." That dude always said the funniest shit.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 09:49:44 AM »
Thank you for sharing! This is awesome!!!

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 89
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 04:44:37 AM »
Thank you for sharing, this is my daily dose of vintage skateboarding… and the commentary was on point haha