Author Topic: favorite tv shows  (Read 1095 times)

ralf_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -36
  • yo
favorite tv shows
« on: April 21, 2022, 07:54:27 AM »
just binged this is England (its all on YouTube) … what's your favorite show? sopranos, the wire… any other masterpieces?

as for this is England… I think its a brilliant formula: feature film, then "every" few years a mini series with a 3-4 episodes to catch up on the characters.

stoked for any answer! lets get out that Netflix boredom!
fun fun fun

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1438
Re: favorite tv shows
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 08:01:29 AM »
Pretty little liars

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 08:12:41 AM »
Fuk seriously so many I can't even think. Just rewatched a bunch of my favorites 90s and early 00s comedies. father Ted, the royle family, the adventures of Lano and Woodley, people like us, the office (original), peep show, extras

I've noticed in the last ten years so many great series you can really just watch the first series and leave the rest. Tin star, fortitude, Mr Mercedes, true detective, westwrold,

60s batman, monkey, Degrassi high (80s), Raw hide, Columbo, Futurama, Simpsons (s2-9 or so) inside no. 9,

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 27
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 08:13:51 AM »
Best television series of all time in my humble opinion

1. Breaking Bad (just the perfect amount of sympathy for Walt when he does heinous shit. This show was perfection)
2. The Wire (Another one that is just IMO perfect television)
3. Seinfeld (i usually get heat for having a sitcom this high, but dammit this shit was so good from beginning to end and so
    different from any other sitcom)
4. The Sopranos (Actually just watched this for the first time during quarantine, fucking incredible but I hate "Don't Stop Believin' as a song so I wasn't a fan of the ending.)
5. Game of Thrones (could have been higher if that last season wasn't so disappointing)

Honorable mentions go out to

-Homeland (i thought this would fall off after Brody died, but the way they ended this was spectacular)
-ESPN 30 for 30 (I'm a sports guy, and these are the best sports docs out, my faves are Ric Flair and the "Catholics vs.
 Convicts" episode that covered the Miami/Notre Dame rivalry in the 90's. The four falls of Buffalo is also really really good.)
-The Office (I probably spend 10 hours a week with the Office on my TV.)
-The Simpsons (First 15 or so seasons, I haven't watched a new episode in years)
-Monday Night RAW (Longest running episodic television series of all-time. It has it's peaks and valleys and it is shit right
 now, but gotta respect the longevity of the product)

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 08:31:33 AM »
If you're a fan of Twin Peaks a highly underrated show no one seems to talk about is Carnivale. Very trippy show about a traveling fair set during the great depression. Acting, set design, story, all 10/10.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 08:49:18 AM »
If you're a fan of Twin Peaks a highly underrated show no one seems to talk about is Carnivale. Very trippy show about a traveling fair set during the great depression. Acting, set design, story, all 10/10.

Sick I'll check this out. I see the little cunt from another place is in it too

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 08:54:35 AM »
Friday Night Lights
I'm Alan Partridge
Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Plus a bunch already mentioned.

ralf_

• yo
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 10:50:22 AM »
Fuk seriously so many I can't even think. Just rewatched a bunch of my favorites 90s and early 00s comedies. father Ted, the royle family, the adventures of Lano and Woodley, people like us, the office (original), peep show, extras

I've noticed in the last ten years so many great series you can really just watch the first series and leave the rest. Tin star, fortitude, Mr Mercedes, true detective, westwrold,

60s batman, monkey, Degrassi high (80s), Raw hide, Columbo, Futurama, Simpsons (s2-9 or so) inside no. 9,

uff the role family looks sick! good observation about just watching the first series.

that being said VEEP is a really good show!!
fun fun fun

ralf_

• yo
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 10:52:03 AM »

yo!!! thank you!!
fun fun fun

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 02:50:35 PM »
Mad Men is my number one. Incredibly rich character study about what it's like to be human and coming to terms with who you are. Worthy of many rewatches. Highly influenced by The Sopranos, and its creator even wrote on The Sopranos for a while.

If you like British humor, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is absolutely amazing and it's a crime that there's only six episodes of it.

The Americans has some of the best acting of any recent shows, and a very satisfying ending. Keri Russell is stellar and she and her costar Matthew Rhys ended up getting together in real life, which only served to deepen their performances.

And if you like comedy and haven't seen Nathan for You, what are you doing with your life?

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 05:08:09 PM »
Arrested Development (the first few seasons), Sopranos, Bloodline, Godless, Better Call Saul, Trailer Park Boys… there’s just so many
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 05:32:58 PM »
Always Sunny. Up until some of the newest seasons
The Wire. Just good watching.

Other than that i have not watched tv shows in years. My kids are just learning about Family Guy and Rick And Morty. I was more into Adult Swim When i watched tv tho.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 07:42:15 PM »
The Killing starting after season 1 is by far the best TV series I've seen. Fleabag, Luther, Atlanta, Pose, The Good Lord Bird, and Mindhunter are all great.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »
Mad Men is my number one. Incredibly rich character study about what it's like to be human and coming to terms with who you are. Worthy of many rewatches. Highly influenced by The Sopranos, and its creator even wrote on The Sopranos for a while.

If you like British humor, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is absolutely amazing and it's a crime that there's only six episodes of it.

The Americans has some of the best acting of any recent shows, and a very satisfying ending. Keri Russell is stellar and she and her costar Matthew Rhys ended up getting together in real life, which only served to deepen their performances.

And if you like comedy and haven't seen Nathan for You, what are you doing with your life?
One of my all time favs but I kinda feel like they covered all the cliches in the six eps. (Just incase you haven't seen it) there's sort of a follow up series called man to man with Dean learner. Richard aoyade plays his Dean learner character but has a talk show and segments and Matt Holness does a range of characters as guests.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 11:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
One of my all time favs but I kinda feel like they covered all the cliches in the six eps. (Just incase you haven't seen it) there's sort of a follow up series called man to man with Dean learner. Richard aoyade plays his Dean learner character but has a talk show and segments and Matt Holness does a range of characters as guests.

I dug it, but definitely felt like a lesser work. Snuff Box on the other hand was fantastic and really solidified that not only does Matt Berry have one of the best voices in comedy, but he’s a damn fine musician to boot.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 06:46:49 AM »
True Detective season 1 really might be my fav

I feel like Deadwood doesn’t get as much love as some of the other big HBO shows, I love it though

The animated Batman series still holds up surprisingly well

Strangers with Candy might be my fav comedy

Early AD really does still hold up well, such good & well crafted jokes, Always Sunny too

I’ve watched The Jinx a stupid amount of times, think that’s my fav from the semi-recent true crime mini-series trend

How To… fav recent show

Twin Peaks ofc, gonna check out Carnivale, thanks for the rec

& I’ve been watching stupid amounts of Forensic Files & Unsolved Mysteries on yt lately

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 07:39:34 AM »
Breaking Bad
Mr. Robot

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 09:05:46 AM »
The Wire, The Sopranos, Bosch, Seinfeld, Curb, The Office, Parks and Rec, Chappelle Show, Tailer Park Boys, Letterkenny.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 09:09:43 AM »
We're watching Dark on netflix rn and it's alright. Good enough to hold our attention. I think I'm def giving it a pass on some stuff b/c it's foriegn.

ZumaThraxx

• Rep: 16
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 11:45:46 AM »
Sons of Anarchy, Animal Kingdom, The OC, Power

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2022, 03:43:13 PM »
the wire, breaking bad, game of thrones, peep show and nathan barley.

peace and fucking.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2022, 10:04:15 PM »
Home Movies is great

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2022, 11:58:29 PM »
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Always Sunny
The Wire
Home Movies
American Dad
Rick and Morty
Adventure Bros
Primal
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Frisky Dingo (fucking only one season, sooo bummed).
Twin Peaks
Frontline
Nova (only the space episodes)
HBO Real Sports
Real Time w/Bill Maher (I don't always agree with his boomer take on things)
and
re-runs of M*A*S*H

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2022, 12:10:00 AM »
For the longest time I thought Always Sunny was just like some vanilla 'how I met your mother' type sitcom because it was just about some people and their bar.

And then I watched it a few years back and geez I missed out for so long.

It's fucked up and hilarious and a great show that's a lot more original than I realised.

Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2022, 01:17:23 AM »
I was never a huge TV series junkie so I probably missed a lot.

Back in the 80s it was Married With Children, we would record those on VHS and bingewatch.

90s was Simpsons golden era.

Recent top shows have been mentioned: Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire.

Guilty pleasure: Downton Abbey, The Crown, Hercule Poirot. I probably wouldn‘t have watched those if it weren‘t for my wife but they have their moments.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2022, 01:35:34 AM »
For the longest time I thought Always Sunny was just like some vanilla 'how I met your mother' type sitcom because it was just about some people and their bar.

And then I watched it a few years back and geez I missed out for so long.

It's fucked up and hilarious and a great show that's a lot more original than I realised.
For the first couple years I thought the same thing. It would play at like 1-3am on commercial tv wedged between other bland sitcoms another of which was also set in a bar.

Also for another all time fav freaks and geeks. I think it's pretty perfect and altho it got cut short I think that kind of makes it better. Easily the best thing Apatow has ever been part of.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2022, 05:35:05 AM »
For all of you guys listing Breaking Bad, would highly recommend Better Call Saul.

Personally, I think it's better. Takes the theme of a "moral decline" story from BB but does it better. There comes a point in BB where you kinda stop rooting for Walt and instead are just along for the ride. While Jimmy/Saul is no saint, I think he is a far more compelling character and has a lot more nuisance to his actions and motivations as opposed to "I want all the drug kingpin power and money for my family." motivation in BB. Plus the pre-BB background you get on characters like Gus, the Salamanca's and especially Mike is great stuff.

This isn't to say BB sucks, I fucking love BB, but you guys shouldn't sleep on BCS.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2022, 06:15:54 AM »
Rhoda
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2022, 09:40:12 AM »

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2022, 10:33:15 AM »
New David Simon show could be good
https://variety.com/2022/tv/reviews/we-own-this-city-david-simon-hbo-1235239346/

Keep seeing teasers for this… really liking it.

I want to check out Mayor Of Kingston just not sure i wanna get paramount+
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna