Author Topic: Switch BS 180s  (Read 2121 times)

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Switch BS 180s
« on: April 23, 2022, 08:42:53 AM »
These have been a massive pain in my ass for years. I can do them but really not that well. Would love to be able to go over / up stuff easier and get consistent at switch bs flips. Reverting the last bit comes so natually doing them regular but when it comes to switch it just doesn't work at all. It's hard to explain what happens but my body weight just kind of lands all wrong and doesn't allow my legs to sweep around. Any general tips or anything that helped you with these I'd love to hear.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Switch BS 180s
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 08:57:56 AM »
I've been doing those a bit more over the past year or so and getting better at them by approaching them differently on two points, first off back foot placement I feel like plays a big role, you want your big toe near the center just like you would for a switch pop shove, to get that same kind of rebound that keeps the board flat and prevents it from flipping over. And second point is the direction you're looking when you pop, basically if your head is turned anywhere in part towards the direction you're going your attempt is likely to suck, you should be looking down on your nose instead (or your tail if you're one of those; wherever your popping foot is) with your lower body slightly orientated inwards and ready to anticipate the spin. That way the trick feels and controls a lot like a frontside nollie, just riding backwards and the weight shift mid jump (potentially to slide around the end of the trick) becomes a lot more natural.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
Same boat had a terrible switch back 1 since forever. I just accepted I can't really nosebone it/ do the see saw motion. Can't really help get better at them but if youre like me and its all one big move and even kinda rocket there's a couple things I noticed you can use it for. Over hips works good because your already matching the angle of the bank. Switch back 1 to reg nose Manny because your already sorta setup for it. So if you don't figure out how to get them how you want at least there's those two little benefits.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 12:48:42 PM »
I felt like switch bs flips are way easier and I learned the bs 180 by mostly ignoring it (after struggling with it) and just doing a lot of switch bs flips. Now I can do it pretty well without putting much work into it. Just flip it. It's probably a lot about getting used to do anything switch bs.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 02:01:43 PM »
Mine are consistent and easy, but not that great on flat though I can do them into grinds and over stuff kinda better.

If you have a good frontside half cab, one thing you can try is to trick yourself into thinking that you're just doing a frontside half cab, except popping with the other foot. So lower body switch ollie (with a slight scoop if needed), but upper body is just frontside half cab. Could make it a lot less scary in your head.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 01:30:16 PM »
For me it helps to have my shoulders mostly turned that direction before I pop and then let my lower body do most of the moving.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 07:09:18 AM »
Popping foot key is toe is on toe side corner or toe side pocket…..other foot you hang your heel off a fair amount….

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 08:03:57 AM »
I have trouble with that direction.

So I’m going to do this this week too.

First film back 80s in both stances.

Look for differences with your body.

Then we’re going to fine tune that shit. Try to mirror our regs.

Then it’s work out time.

We’re going to do switch back 80 push twice do nollie frontside 80 push 3 X and do switch Ollie late back 80.

Ok?

I’ll come back once I get all the win a good way and we can work on switch back 3 and nollie fronside flips.

Lmk if you’re down.

Things to look for is arm and shoulder issues and back foot placement.

I’m going to work on this rn while I got time
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 10:53:19 AM »
Mine are completely different from regs: I switch ollie late back 180. I think I do this for a variety of reasons, but cowardice is the issue, it feels safer to do em like that.
For me I need to work on switch powerslides, which are really hard.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 04:39:54 PM »
I have my shoulders turned almost 90 before I even pop. I’m almost looking backwards/at my tail.

I’ll have to try looking at my nose more.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 06:46:10 AM »
I have majer issues with this trick.

It feels so bad. I think I didn’t really practice it because switch back 80 nose manny is wack compared to back 80 fakie manny
(A)pl(E)

Dimitrov

• Rep: -2
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 09:17:17 AM »
Roll up parallel to a small curb learn to do switch 90° Ollie into nose stall front side. Once you have mastered this take it to the flat ground for the 180 when you do the 180 focus on your shoulders following through the whole way

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 09:41:17 AM »
Start the day off with a bunch of switch Ollie’s to get timing
Jump straight up
Scoop through your body

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 10:05:39 AM »
Start the day off with a bunch of switch Ollie’s to get timing
Jump straight up
Scoop through your body

This is expert advice for switch practice. I used to start my day off with switch Ollies in the late 90s. I should have stuck with it but whatever. It’s never too late right.

The problem with my sw back 80 is it’s not fluid.
It doesn’t feel like one trick kinda.

I can switch front nose but away from the ledge I feel like I can’t get beyond 90 in one smooth motion.

I been working on it too. Nollie front 80 feels better but I can’t pop a nollie like a can pop a switch Ollie or even a fakie ollie.

Anyway I’m going to go work on it tonight.

I want switch bs flip more than switch tre and I’ve put that dream to bed so…

I almost wanna cry about that no bullshit.

(A)pl(E)

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2022, 08:42:18 AM »
Don't give up!

Switch bs flip came much easier than I thought it would after learning switch flip.

It felt easier to get the full 180 learning switch bs flip than when I learned switch bs 180.

It was still hard, just much easier than I expected after switch flip felt mind-bottlingly hard to learn.

If you can get switch flip down, switch bs flip is not far away.

thebacker

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »
get a good pop, turn your shoulders ( can whip them around) and make sure to dip your front (starting back) shoulder when you do the trick a little bit, then roll away clean

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2022, 07:20:33 AM »
They work for me if I put my front foot at an angle similar to that for a bs flip in my stance, way into the board, just a little bit below the front bolts.

It's such a good trick that I'm trying to get better at, weirdly enough learning sw bs heels was ridiculously easy, and even sw bs flips were not too hard. Not saying I'm that consistent with these two but they always made more sense than sw bs 180.
At least when approaching them and breaking them down.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2022, 11:32:00 PM »
Any tips on ss bs flips?
I can ss bs 180, switchflip, nollie fs flip no problem but just can’t control the flip or the rotation on a switch bs flip

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2022, 01:15:30 AM »
Any tips on ss bs flips?
I can ss bs 180, switchflip, nollie fs flip no problem but just can’t control the flip or the rotation on a switch bs flip

Try it same way as one in your stance but flicking foot is wayyy more on the edge of the board.

If you got nollie pro flips it shouldn't be a problem!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2022, 03:23:41 AM »
^that’s my logic too, it shouldn’t and I’d prob be happy even with crappy ones…
But it just doesn’t compute…

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2022, 09:17:36 AM »

Let's learn switch backside flips together. I never really did that trick besides a couple of bad ones just to tell myself I could do it forever ago, and my frontside nollie flips could use some work, I can either do them like shit most of the time or try one that's actually good and then it becomes complete RNG. I'm breaking in a new deck and shoes these days skating quite a bit of flatground and wouldn't mind going through the struggle of sorting that one out and finally bother learning good switch backside flips because I think that trick is sick. Been in love with doing switch backside 180's for a while too so sounds like a good challenge. You down to motivate each other back and forth with little reports on how things go? Not PM'ing you because maybe more people could join in too.

P.S.: let's agree to disagree with switch backside 180 into nosemanny, I think that's a super sick trick.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2022, 09:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let's learn switch backside flips together. I never really did that trick besides a couple of bad ones just to tell myself I could do it forever ago, and my frontside nollie flips could use some work, I can either do them like shit most of the time or try one that's actually good and then it becomes complete RNG. I'm breaking in a new deck and shoes these days skating quite a bit of flatground and wouldn't mind going through the struggle of sorting that one out and finally bother learning good switch backside flips because I think that trick is sick. Been in love with doing switch backside 180's for a while too so sounds like a good challenge. You down to motivate each other back and forth with little reports on how things go? Not PM'ing you because maybe more people could join in too.

P.S.: let's agree to disagree with switch backside 180 into nosemanny, I think that's a super sick trick.

I do love that trick

Shane did one so nice lately with nollie fs flip out.

It’s just that if you take away the flips it usually easier to nose manny vs the fakie manny. Adding the nollie fs flip kinda levels the difficulty.

I’m definitely down to practice sw back 80s and sw bs flip tonight after the parking garage closes.

(A)pl(E)

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2022, 01:56:05 AM »
I’ll start the game

https://i.imgur.com/KOds9ds.mp4

I tried a few this morning and here are results.
I don’t turn my left shoulder and I need to get it to flip more under me.
Last one felt ok, but after seeing it, still too much revert.
Any pointers?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2022, 02:09:35 AM »
Can't give pointers yet since I have yet to go through my own sw backside flip improvement workshop phase but damn, not sure if you realize but that's potentially a pretty stellar switch shifty kickflip you can learn from what I see here, if you can't do those already.

Your issue does look like the right shoulder isn't taking the lead mid trick like you're yourself observing (I suspect this will be my problem too) but at the point you're at you look like you could basically choose either way to revert the trick and learn two for the price of one, that's sick.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2022, 03:22:23 AM »
Can't give pointers yet since I have yet to go through my own sw backside flip improvement workshop phase but damn, not sure if you realize but that's potentially a pretty stellar switch shifty kickflip you can learn from what I see here, if you can't do those already.

Your issue does look like the right shoulder isn't taking the lead mid trick like you're yourself observing (I suspect this will be my problem too) but at the point you're at you look like you could basically choose either way to revert the trick and learn two for the price of one, that's sick.
Good lookin out man!
Never even thought about that trick!
Tried a couple, possibly could work.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2022, 04:40:37 PM »
Looks real good, try to swing your head around as early as possible so that its looking completely forward in the direction you're rolling away and your shoulders, torso, and lower body should be able to catch up and come around better.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2022, 05:40:39 AM »
That's almost EXACTLY where I'm at with them. Get them round most of the way. Land and then turn the rest but can't get the pivot in one motion. My brain just straight up refuses to let me turn the last 30 degrees. It's so infuriating.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2022, 02:09:14 PM »
That way the trick feels and controls a lot like a frontside nollie, just riding backwards and the weight shift mid jump (potentially to slide around the end of the trick) becomes a lot more natural.

That is some solid advice

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »
I've tried a grand total of three (!) switch backside flips today, compared to way back when I had done a few shit ones for the sake of psychologically claiming them it seems a lot easier to form now, probably because I have a much better switch flip these days than I had at the time (so while one doesn't necessarily need a good switch flip for switch frontside flip, switch backside flip seems to call for them). On all three of them I could get the form and unlike what I expected my problem wasn't the shoulders (it seems like doing more switch backside 180's recently has helped) but the weight distribution in the air, basically my body wants to keep going and catch the wrong truck, I think mostly because I'm still doing them flat and they don't fold at once, so I need to work on flicking through the board from that position a bit more.

I did a few frontside nollie flips for the first time in forever today though thanks to this thread. Again having a good nollie flip really helps for this one, it's essentially the same thing all the way down to the foot positioning and then you just turn the shoulders and trust.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 07:40:18 AM »
Expand Quote
That way the trick feels and controls a lot like a frontside nollie, just riding backwards and the weight shift mid jump (potentially to slide around the end of the trick) becomes a lot more natural.
[close]

That is some solid advice

Couldn’t disagree with you more…..switch back 180 is it’s own trick….