Author Topic: 360 shuvit or impossible—I’ll take either  (Read 1788 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
360 shuvit or impossible—I’ll take either
« on: November 06, 2020, 04:03:09 AM »
I have been skating the Dane 1 only recently. I think I may be taking it into retirement. So much easier for me to skate at my advanced age.

That being said...I have been watching videos from 90-91 era to see if I can learn the tricks that were popular and I need to get either a 360 shuvit or impossible. Preferably 360 shuvit as it looks easier and frankly I’m all about minimum effort and not missing tricks unless I have to.

Anyone got this/these tricks?

behavioralguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: 360 shuvit or impossible—I’ll take either
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 06:20:50 AM »
impossible to me is:
back foot in pocket, flip it over, almost like a pressureflip, but wrap instead of letting it flip. front foot out of the way

you need that pressure to get yr board sideways so you can actually wrap.

but don't listen to me, listen to @silhouette

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 06:31:51 AM »
I've recently been trying to learn switch 360 shuvs so i'm following this.

Last few times I've sessioned them I've managed to get the full rotation, but struggling to get my front foot back to the board.

For me the trick is all in the scoop with the back foot, i've experimented with front foot placement but still not found the goldilocks spot.

Frustrating as i've been oh so close to landing them for a while now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 07:28:26 AM »
My theory is you get one...that's it....three flip, imposs or three shuv....

I got the imposs....

I'd say practice with the no comply ie planting your front foot to get the wrap.  Just kick it around and get the board going over your back foot.

To try and land one...yes...back foot deep in toe pocket, even hang these toes....front foot, at first I think close to the edge, a good ways back.  It's kinda a pressure trick, where you push hard on your feet, then pop, front foot gets out of the way, your back toe pushes down, and that causes the board to start wrapping around the back foot...you then stir your back foot upwards to keep it turning.  Get ready to land with your feet in the middle of your board but just hold onto it....

Three shuvs?  I try and spin them on my front foot to keep them from tipping over. 

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »
impossible to me is:
back foot in pocket, flip it over, almost like a pressureflip, but wrap instead of letting it flip. front foot out of the way

you need that pressure to get yr board sideways so you can actually wrap.

but don't listen to me, listen to @silhouette

That's also how I first learned them (the pressure flip way, just after figuring out normal stance pressure flips) and then I gradually adjusted my foot placement over the years, now my back foot is literally flat across the whole tail and I pop completely vertically. I can still sense the tension on the toes that allows one to get a good wrap but it's more subtle and happens with the pop which I conduct with my whole foot, overall I feel like I scrape the tail a lot more than I used to which I think is an optimization of the technique for that trick, then it becomes automatic and happens in one motion (like the way Chris Athans does them) (I can't believe I almost wrote 'Chris Fissel'). I can just set up real quick, picture scraping my tail through where my front bolts are and do just that like it's a modified ollie whereas for the pressure flip style, you put pressure over the toe-side back wheel with your big toe and kind of wait for the board to react to then go for the wrap which is a bit more tedious to do and often results in the trick going sideways more.

I posted a shit ton of tips for that trick in the Tricks that piss you off/Tricks you're trying to learn right now threads, I don't expect anyone to look up my post history but they're there and probably not that far up the previous pages in the threads if someone is really looking for some.

Either way, 360 shoves and impossibles work completely differently (one is a horizontal trick under your front foot, the other one a vertical trick around your back foot) so even though some people do ugly hybrids I think the first thing would be to determine which one exactly you want to get, there is no happy medium between both in my opinion (if you're trying to do them right).

@Skatebeard for switch 360 shoves/impossibles/360 flips in general a lot of people have that problem, more often than not the fix is the same, you're probably trying to use your usual shoulder (the one you usually have at the front in normal stance and normally use for direction) to remain aligned over the board but since you're in switch stance that actually throws you off axis (as if consequently you started 'body varialing' ever so slightly to fix your stance back to regs), you probably need more focus on controlling the other one instead and also a less open upper body stance (face where you're going a tad less), and then just focus on remaining parallel throughout the whole trick.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 10:28:17 AM »
Good tip @Silhouette, i'll keep that in mind next time I work on them.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 10:43:44 AM »
My theory is you get one...that's it....three flip, imposs or three shuv....

That's so true! I've had all three at various stages of my skateboard life but rarely all three at the same time. I remember having impossibles on lock just before the SWBP era. And then came 360 flips. Three shuvs were more recent. These days, it rotates...

Of the three I'd say 360 shuvs are the easiest as you can learn them as shuvs (ie no ollie) first. Wide boards seem to help prevent accidental flipping so you're on the right track with the dane one.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »
I'm an Ed Templeton guy, not a Jason Lee guy....it's so much effort to try 3 flips....

Dylan had both so we're never gonna see that again...

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »
I always land in a fs 90 position, does this happy to anyone else?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 09:31:14 PM »
@shitsandwich you're probably trying to shift your weight over your front foot in the air (like you would to catch a pop shove-it for example) which fucks up the alignment of your hips and causes you to body varial (see my earlier post to Skatebeard). On impossibles, you need to be 'sitting' over your back leg the whole time (and also of course to keep your shoulders aligned throughout the trick, not necessarily with the board though, an open stance actually helps on those but you need to keep it in check otherwise it's easy to start turning away from the trick, like you're doing or some people do on their first 360 flips).

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 12:30:55 AM »
@shitsandwich you're probably trying to shift your weight over your front foot in the air (like you would to catch a pop shove-it for example) which fucks up the alignment of your hips and causes you to body varial (see my earlier post to Skatebeard). On impossibles, you need to be 'sitting' over your back leg the whole time (and also of course to keep your shoulders aligned throughout the trick, not necessarily with the board though, an open stance actually helps on those but you need to keep it in check otherwise it's easy to start turning away from the trick, like you're doing or some people do on their first 360 flips).

thanks for this, I'm gonna keep this in mind tomorrow morning

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 08:01:13 AM »
I try impossibles on and off on a session most of 2020. I don’t think I’ve landed but maybe one. If I get both feet on it slips out. Usually my front foot lands in front of the nose or next to it. I can wrap them how I want most of the time when my legs are fresh but just can’t get both feet on.  I set up similar to a kick flip front foot maybe a quarter inch below the bottom toe side bolt back foot flat on tail big toe in pocket.  Any ideas where I’m messing up?

I’ll post a clip if I skate today. I’m getting desperate.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 08:46:32 AM »
Impossibles are easier as you won't have to deal with it accidentally flipping. I learned by just standing stationary on the board with only the back foot on. Practice by scooping and wrapping the board around the back foot. Start with one foot and land with one foot. This is to learn the motion. Once you get the wrap figured out, then it's pretty much the same thing riding. You front foot moves out of the way and does absolutely nothing for this trick. But the one foot technique really helped me.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 11:13:14 PM »
I figured out how to do the step off version of an impossible. It's kinda like a straight no comply where you wrap the board around your back foot instead. But when I try to do a normal impossible, I can't generate the same pressure on my board. How does that work when you don't step off?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 04:41:03 PM »
I figured out how to do the step off version of an impossible. It's kinda like a straight no comply where you wrap the board around your back foot instead. But when I try to do a normal impossible, I can't generate the same pressure on my board. How does that work when you don't step off?

Magic tip that sounds silly but unlocked that step on the spot for me two decades ago after someone told me: do the exact same thing except instead of sliding your foot off, suck your knee up. Front leg doesn't move, you usually just pull it right up with you as you jump off the back foot then it just comes back down for the catch; as a consequence means pure back foot snap with zero weight distributed over the front foot. Even your upper body barely needs to move which is why they're so easy once you've figured them out, they're literally 100% back foot, front foot only exists to build up then let go. You can release that tension either to the side for the step hop ones or right up by lifting your knee on a jump.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 04:48:06 PM by silhouette »

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 05:08:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Magic tip that sounds silly but unlocked that step on the spot for me two decades ago after someone told me: do the exact same thing except instead of sliding your foot off, suck your knee up. Front leg doesn't move, you usually just pull it right up with you as you jump off the back foot then it just comes back down for the catch; as a consequence means pure back foot snap with zero weight distributed over the front foot. Even your upper body barely needs to move which is why they're so easy once you've figured them out, they're literally 100% back foot, front foot only exists to build up then let go. You can release that tension either to the side for the step hop ones or right up by lifting your knee on a jump.

Thanks for the tip! I will try that next time.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2023, 05:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Something I forgot to specify but of course, to get that type of pop you also need to have your weight all over your back foot, going through your back leg and so you need to basically sit super far back, feels like standing over the tail all the while facing the direction you're going (perpendicular shoulders won't help you and will enhance the risk of bad wrap/360 shove). In order to build the tension and pressure up the front foot being firmly planted further up the board should be all that prevents your board from going into wheelie position while you're riding if that makes sense, it's forcing the front wheels down, then as soon as you release it all by lifting your knee up you can get that explosive snap you need. Don't lean over your front foot or you'll get dead pop, stand back. To an extent that's also valid for 360 flips.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2023, 11:54:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Something I forgot to specify but of course, to get that type of pop you also need to have your weight all over your back foot, going through your back leg and so you need to basically sit super far back, feels like standing over the tail all the while facing the direction you're going (perpendicular shoulders won't help you and will enhance the risk of bad wrap/360 shove). In order to build the tension and pressure up the front foot being firmly planted further up the board should be all that prevents your board from going into wheelie position while you're riding if that makes sense, it's forcing the front wheels down, then as soon as you release it all by lifting your knee up you can get that explosive snap you need. Don't lean over your front foot or you'll get dead pop, stand back. To an extent that's also valid for 360 flips.

I had been doing this actually because I figured it's similar to a no comply in getting the pressure and it seemed like the only way to get that back foot action. But it's good to have it confirmed that is indeed what you should do for this trick.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 12:25:38 PM »
Cool then no doubt you'll get them. If lifting the leg up instead of moving it to the side results in losing control over the wrap compared to what happens when you plant your foot, then that means you need to insist on the tail scrape part. Got to be prepared to really hook onto it with the big toe, then after you pop straight down you might want to wait just a split second later than you'd normally do on 360 flips to jump off the back leg so that the board actually has the time to start flipping over and against your foot and you can catch and wing it. Before I pop I like to imagine my goal is to swipe my tail across the ground to wherever my nose currently is, through the board length.