Author Topic: low back pain treatments(sciatica)  (Read 326 times)

joaqp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
low back pain treatments(sciatica)
« on: April 25, 2022, 03:06:19 PM »
I tweaked my back earlier after practicing noseslides. When I got onto the ledge, I think I must have not rotated enough, and I felt my low back pinch right away. Anyone got tips to heal this thing? I'm icing it up right now...

biaherl

• Rep: 146
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: low back pain treatments(sciatica)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 07:19:42 PM »
Bro!? Do you even bro Bro?

99% of the time it's not sciatica. You would feel it all the way down your leg and wouldn't be able to move. Most back pain is caused from stress that leads to an unhealthy lifestyle and not sleeping.

A hurt muscle is a weak muscle

After the pain is mostly gone start doing these after your morning or lunch break walk

Start here

Then progress

To here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBwOTpXpk50

You can skate well into your 60's as long as you take care of yourself

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 08:01:00 PM »
If you have whatever necessary health coverage or live somewhere where health care is free or somewhat affordable I'd recommend seeing a doctor anyway. I'd have things like this happen every now and then and then later found out I had some bad spine issues.
Physio is obviously good but you need to know what your spine is like before hand. If something's up you can make it way worse by trying to make it better.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 62
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 01:18:56 AM »
Had low back pain for months after slipping out on a fakie 3 shuv.

What really helped me were two things- low back stretches (particularly the one where you lie on your back and cross one knee over your other thigh and bring that thigh towards your chest - it's a classic sciatica relief stretch but it works well for general LBP too.

the thing that actually sorted it though, was going to a sports physio and having a couple of sessions of something called IMS Needling, it's basically a dry needling technique, deeper than acupuncture and massage that gets right to the problem muscles in your low back. Two sessions of that was a night and day difference, and a couple weeks of stretching complimented it and sorted it right out.

Read about it here- https://www.carterandgeorge.co.uk/2018/01/23/all-you-need-to-know-about-ims-needling/

might be known by a different name in the US. It's a pretty wild sensation having needles poked 2-3 inches into your lower back, but it's not painful.

Flares up occasionally but no where near as bad, and have just been able to stretch it away, haven't needed any follow up needling sessions.

Well worth checking it out, will cost you a bit, but totally worth it.

Brguy

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 09:00:50 AM »
Take some anti-inflammatories to heal faster, for the love of christ stay away from the board for some good time, when I hurt myself I thought it was all good after a week taking meds and the pain came back after 10 minutes of flatgroud, 0/10 would not do it again.

biahelr is pretty on point on recovery, I did like 3 weeks of gym after the pain was gone because as I've read most back issues are actually related to a problem above or bellow it. In my case I did just 3 weeks of gym exactly because I found out (by pain) what I'm 99% sure is sciatica, the thing that helps me with it now is doing glute medius stretches, you can even do a poor version of it sitting down. I should probably work out more too but oh well.

Also some decompression exercise might relieve a bit of the pain, one my friend recommended is just lying down with a soft pillow under the part where it hurts for a while, the one where you hang from somewhere touching your toes on the ground is also kinda relieving, specially if you have a bad posture like me.

Candied cigarettes

• Rep: 39
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 09:38:20 AM »
Also experiencing lower back pain, been going to a chiropractor to get it taken care of and itís been helpful. For me itís basically hip displacement and spine curvatures caused by years of bad posture and having a desk job.

Iíve been doing core exercises with some lower back and hip stretches and thatís been helpful. If you havenít heard of the pso rite, it might be worth checking out. https://pso-rite.com/products/pso-rite. I have one and it seriously works wonders on my hips. Iíve also been making a point to either walk at least an hour or bike every day and I canít emphasize the benefits of that enough. Might sound corny, but motion is lotion.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 62
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 10:29:50 AM »
Iíve also been making a point to either walk at least an hour or bike every day and I canít emphasize the benefits of that enough. Might sound corny, but motion is lotion.

Second this, just walking a mile or two a day really helped mine out.

Huell Howser

• Rep: 137
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 10:36:35 AM »
as someone that has had a herniated disc and recovered through exercise - some good preventative maintenance that I work in every week that seems to make for a stronger back:
-planks at least 3 times a week(1 min front and both sides)
-hip flexor stretches
-squats with kettlebell to strengthen your butt muscles so your lower back isn't doing the bulk of the work(weight is irrelavent but seems to make for better form for myself) - also helps build strength in knees/quads
-cobra stretch
-walking/riding a bike like people have said will go a long way

when you're feeling like you've made progress and not in pain:
-kettlebell swings to strengthen your lower body/lower back(with good form, bad form could cause you more injury)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 10:54:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Iíve also been making a point to either walk at least an hour or bike every day and I canít emphasize the benefits of that enough. Might sound corny, but motion is lotion.
[close]

I've been lamenting my recent lower back pain, and just yesterday it occurred to me that recently I have been neglecting my usual 2-5 mile walks a few times a week (which I started around quarantine, when I stopped riding my bike to work every day). I realized that these walks were really helping with my wrecked ankles, my hips, my back discomfort, not to mention my sanity. In addition, I stepped on the scale for the first time in a while and ...
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Brguy

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 03:45:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm terribly bummed I haven't been doing this lately, and I even like walking around.

whatsgoodskaters

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 12:05:06 PM »