Author Topic: Parts of LA to stay in  (Read 2864 times)

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
Parts of LA to stay in
« on: April 25, 2022, 07:41:47 PM »
I’m going to LA for a week, possibly more, at the end of June. Any recommendations for what part of the city to stay in? I won’t have a car so will be relying solely on public transit and Uber. Ideally want some place with some mellow street spots.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Re: Parts of LA to stay in
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 10:41:01 PM »
I lived in Pasadena for 7 months but I only skated parks since I couldn't be bothered to look for spots and get myself hurt since I was a full time employee. I fuckin loved it. South Pasadena and Bonita are super fun. The gold line can take you to either really fast; you just have to be close to the 101. Hit South Pasadena during the day and Bonita at night.

If you wanna skate street though, you probably don't wanna go there.

Anyone else wanna chime in? Glendale seems promising. You could also be in weho and hit up stoner and santa monica.

USC ledges? Not sure if that's a bust.

Some of those metro's are kinda sketchy though. Red line known for sketchiness. Gold line was super mellow, but I'm a guy so...

Edit: NVM, glendale a bust. stay close to downtown and use this website. don't get ur shit stolen.

https://findskatespots.com/spots/los-angeles-ca

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 02:40:28 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 01:11:37 AM »
Been to LA a few times from the UK with my wife who is from there, Metro felt sketchy AF to me at night, and I've been riding the tube in London for near on 20 years.

North Hollywood might not be a bad shout, gives you access to parks in the Valley then too. But are you after a more downtown LA experience?

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 06:12:57 AM »
Los Feliz is a walkable and nice part of town.  Close to Home Depot spot, Costco curbs, Griffith ditch.  El Sereno park not a far Uber from there either.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 09:29:01 AM »
Right near da beach

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
If youre down, you can stay at the greyhound on 7th street in downtown, near skidrow. A lot of people might tell you that it sucks and its aort of dangerous but its not that bad if you have common sense, you can skate to lafayette skatepark from there, its like15~20 minutes away but theres some well known spots on the way there and a lot more around the park, theres a bunch of others spots around the area and you can hit up wilshire and look up more shit all within skateable distance.
Cheap hot dogs any other corner, bunch of mexican places, AND IF YOURE SUPER LUCKY, you could ger blessed with a "momma" sighting, she's like lafayette's locals grandma, she looks after the kids and hooks everyone up with some fruit, water, donuts, or coupons for free meals(no purchase necessary type of coupons) coolest shit ever.
Or you could just rent an air bnb, uber anywhere and have a boring ass time at hollywood high
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 01:45:21 PM »
For street skating, East LA is a far better better spot than the west side, which is culver city, santa monica, etc. However, West LA has Stoner, Courthouse, Westchester Skate Plaza, which are parks worth checking.

Los Feliz is cool as above poster mentioned. You can check out kingswell too

If you can rent a car, it's a much better option. I dont recommend taking the public transportation system. It's really slow and inefficient. Ubers are expensive. Probably cheaper to rent an economy car for a few days

General rule of thumb is that traffic heads west in the morning and east at night (5-730pm). Try to drive against traffic when possible. It can make or break your trip. Traffic in LA sucks

North and south too. North is heavy traffic in the AM; south is heavy at night. 405 freeway just sucks either way though

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 05:08:36 PM »
If you're relying on public transit, you just need to check out the LA Metro map and pick somewhere near a stop. All the trains go in and out of downtown, but there's not a ton of overlap. I take the train nearly every day and I've never had an issue. Just stay out of the elevators because they're basically just bathrooms.

Really, you should focus on an area and try to maximize your time. The city is way too big and it's just too hard to get around, especially without a car.

The westside has some spots, good food, closer to the beach, lots of good parks, and has a good bike share system but probably more expensive for hotels/airbnbs. Hollywood or Downtown are both a little too wild for me, but if you like nightlife or hijinks, those are your spots. Long Beach/South Bay are also pretty chill, good spots/parks but the locals might vibe you and it's not really "LA".

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 06:17:55 PM »
Any time I get out to LA Ill stay in Echo Park / Silver lake area. Easy going and central of everything.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 09:48:41 PM »
Koreatown hands down is the best whether you’re using public transportation or a car.
Only a few stops away from transferring to any line except the green line.
And only a few miles from the 101, the 10, and the 110.
I lived all over LA with the exception of the valley and my years in KTown were the best for consistently being all over the city.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »
Koreatown hands down is the best whether you’re using public transportation or a car.
I lived all over LA with the exception of the valley and my years in KTown were the best for consistently being all over the city.

This is a good rec too. Tons of spots in the Mid-wilshire area, but a lot are a bust. LA High and J-Kwon are the obvious ones. Also, a bunch of the best food spots

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 08:33:47 AM »
As a korean-am myself, ktown is a great spot, especially for food :)

But yeah, it's in the center of everything. I think jkwon is only open for skating on sundays though

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 09:05:18 AM »

You better have an off-street parking spot locked in if youre staying with a car in koreatown.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 11:08:20 AM »
Good point above about ktown from Nosferatu

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 06:04:24 PM »
If you don’t mind hanging with a stranger , message me when you get into town and we can skate some spots. I don’t mind driving ya around if you’re not a serial killer and want to skate some mellow west side spots.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 09:19:34 PM »
As a korean-am myself, ktown is a great spot, especially for food :)

But yeah, it's in the center of everything. I think jkwon is only open for skating on sundays though
Koreatown is one of my favorite places to just go cruise around and find stuff to skate along the way. I’ll start at Lafeyette and skate down Wilshire towards jkwon on one side of the road then skate back towards Lafeyette on the other side of Wilshire. You gotta make sure to check out spots on the cross streets too. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a session in at jkwon on a Saturday

Another fun one is starting at Vapa and making your way through downtown
fuck you bama

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 07:49:11 PM »
LA sucks. Go to Ventura

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2022, 10:58:22 PM »
Every time i've lived in LA I've not been skating.  Hanging to go back now but can't imagine it's ever gonna happen.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2022, 07:03:49 AM »
I lived in LA for a year and loved it. Then I went back for a visit without my car and it fucking sucked. Riding the bus over there is a pretty rough experience. Being near a train line is good but most of the spots aren’t gonna be near the train. LA is really a car town. Sorry if that isn’t helpful.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2022, 11:25:27 AM »
I’ll be in LA next week. I’m staying in the Marina Del Ray area , are there any notable Skateshop close I should check out?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
I’ll be in LA next week. I’m staying in the Marina Del Ray area , are there any notable Skateshop close I should check out?

The LA skate shop scene is in bad shape right now. There’s nothing on the west side worth visiting imo.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2022, 06:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The LA skate shop scene is in bad shape right now. There’s nothing on the west side worth visiting imo.

How r the vibes at palace and the FA store?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How r the vibes at palace and the FA store?

FA isn't bad as long as you leave your board at the front like they ask. They'll get on you pretty quick if you try to walk around the store with your board. biggest issue for me is the music is usually too loud for me to hear what they're saying.

Haven't been to palace so i can't say, can't afford any of the clothes and haven't tried any of their boards yet.

banardo

• Rep: 8
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2022, 12:47:29 AM »
If I'm there for a week or more I would usually split it - half the time Los Feliz area, half the time on the westside. I don't drive either and I find it saves trying to make too many of those huge journeys by public transport

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2022, 08:07:27 PM »
Last time I was in LA I went super budget even though I was going to the Oscars to hype and celebrate the Afghani skate gal war documentary (right before Corona hit the big time), I flew into Burbank, public transit over the hills, skated to hostel on Melrose, chill international vibe, rooftop party spot, skated and took public transit to the Courthouse, downtown, Hollywood Blvd comedy clubs, UCLA medical center, a crew I was with had to go to In n Out burger, various hot spots and parks, end of the blue line down to Long Beach to hit up Edibles Magazine and soak up the vibe…good times.

You really can’t go wrong once you land unless you get stuck in Orange County or the desert.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 05:10:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is a good rec too. Tons of spots in the Mid-wilshire area, but a lot are a bust. LA High and J-Kwon are the obvious ones. Also, a bunch of the best food spots

Sorry to bump such an old thread but did not see anything newer. Will be staying in Koreatown in early march sans board. Would happily take some food recs if anyone has any. Also don’t drink anymore so would also take coffee shop recommendations.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2024, 08:29:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sorry to bump such an old thread but did not see anything newer. Will be staying in Koreatown in early march sans board. Would happily take some food recs if anyone has any. Also don’t drink anymore so would also take coffee shop recommendations.

I like kyochon for Korean sticky wings and Hae Jang Chon next door for kbbq. There’s a newer spot called Calic Bagel that does super good stuffed bagels. Kuya Lord also hits.

BurritoMiles

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2024, 08:32:55 AM »
LA's public transit isn't that bad for America but compared to the rest of the world it's bad, Ubers can get really expensive. "LA" is HUGE and if you are Ubering from Santa Monica to Downtown to Long Beach you are going to spend hundreds of dollars in no time. Stay in Central LA and use Metro. Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz, Koreatown & Downtown LA. Use the B, D, A, & E lines to get around, Metro is really cheap. Bus lines 2, 4, 720 & 754 are you friends. You can cover a lot of ground with Metro + skating.

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2024, 04:19:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Most of these are eastside because I live over there and don't really head west except for work. But you can't go wrong with any of these places.

Maru
Madlab
Kindness and Mischief
Kumquat or Loquat
Sightglass
Civil
Blue Bottle (I think a lot of folks might frown at this one but I'm a fan)
Stereoscope
Thank You Coffee
Cafecito Organico

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2024, 07:31:25 PM »
Thank y’all for the recommendations, will def check em out.