Author Topic: How to get more air out of FSO's  (Read 1303 times)

tonyhawksmanywives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
How to get more air out of FSO's
« on: May 02, 2022, 03:17:14 PM »
On a 5 foot quarter at my local i can ollie at the top of transition but barely go enough for my back truck to go over coping. do i need to pop more to blast them over? or is it almost all speed based?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: How to get more air out of FSO's
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 03:56:34 PM »
This is probably one of my favorite tricks to do on transition (terrain where in exchange I can't really seem to backside ollie right for shit), speed definitely helps but it's also very much in the timing and in how you pilot the trick with your shoulders and hips. I usually approach as straight as possible and pop as soon as my front wheels are just about the bump the coping (or even after they clip, then it doesn't matter much because all my weight is already further back on the board), and that's when the right speed helps with that timing being correct. But my shoulders are facing the ramp and I'm looking where I'm headed, so my upper body is open and all I need to do once I've popped is turn my hips on the ollie and aim for my landing spot (that's also when you decide whether or not you want to smash into frontside disaster). You bring your knees up and then you get ready to absorb your landing. Compared to flat banks where the rotation feels more like a compass, on transition feels more like a swing. Maybe actually try and pretend you're on a swing when doing them, personally I've never tried but I'm actually not kidding.

My foot positioning is also a bit different from when I do frontside ollies on flat. Front foot is closer to the center of the board and really nestled into the concave and back foot on the very tip of the tail, whereas outside of a ramp I give way less fucks unless skating something tall for me. Helps with control keeping the board connected to your feet as you go up. You know you're getting there when the top of your frontside ollie starts feeling like a catch.

One of my favorite personal mini games in all of skateboarding, whenever a miniramp is around, is drop in and then instant frontside ollie on the opposite wall, I could literally do that every day for hours and never get bored. Also think about Cardiel.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 02:51:01 PM »
This is probably one of my favorite tricks to do on transition (terrain where in exchange I can't really seem to backside ollie right for shit), speed definitely helps but it's also very much in the timing and in how you pilot the trick with your shoulders and hips. I usually approach as straight as possible and pop as soon as my front wheels are just about the bump the coping (or even after they clip, then it doesn't matter much because all my weight is already further back on the board), and that's when the right speed helps with that timing being correct. But my shoulders are facing the ramp and I'm looking where I'm headed, so my upper body is open and all I need to do once I've popped is turn my hips on the ollie and aim for my landing spot (that's also when you decide whether or not you want to smash into frontside disaster). You bring your knees up and then you get ready to absorb your landing. Compared to flat banks where the rotation feels more like a compass, on transition feels more like a swing. Maybe actually try and pretend you're on a swing when doing them, personally I've never tried but I'm actually not kidding.

My foot positioning is also a bit different from when I do frontside ollies on flat. Front foot is closer to the center of the board and really nestled into the concave and back foot on the very tip of the tail, whereas outside of a ramp I give way less fucks unless skating something tall for me. Helps with control keeping the board connected to your feet as you go up. You know you're getting there when the top of your frontside ollie starts feeling like a catch.

One of my favorite personal mini games in all of skateboarding, whenever a miniramp is around, is drop in and then instant frontside ollie on the opposite wall, I could literally do that every day for hours and never get bored. Also think about Cardiel.
good advice but its seems you arent doibg them quite right if you get to choose between a disaster and flailing back to transition, most of the advice is pretty good but the thing is, you gotta set your shoulders horizontaly(if it makes any sense) like parallel to your board, and send your weight a bit to your neck and front shoulder so you can use all your leg power without interruption, your knees should be in front of you mid air till you reach point "zero" and thats when you guide the rest ouf your shoulders and board back to transition.
Try to keep your knees in front of you so you can see how youre doing and it gives you enough space and visibility to kick the board behind you safely
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 03:27:45 AM »
I don't know if I'm doing them right but they feel good and people have told me they liked them before, I never really film miniramp skating and in fact very rarely do it but there's an old one in here with my technique, it's not an especially good one either compared to when they feel the best (it's OK and demonstrative enough but you know how it feels when once every hundred attempts you really get a picture perfect one and it's never the one you film):

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_KB1zopA-/

I feel like deciding on whether to land or disaster or not can come pretty late mid-trick when doing tricks over coping sometimes. If you can form the trick right then as you catch it you can sort of choose when to extend your legs and either smash against the coping or actually aim for the transition. That's actually why I don't really like doing flip tricks into disaster most of the time and if I want to disaster then I'll actually go for a simple and hopefully good disaster. Doesn't make the trick any worthier and breaks the flow for me (personally, I of course don't mind whatever other people do).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:37:30 AM by silhouette »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 04:02:26 AM »
This Cards one isn't just great in itself, it's also a very good one to break down how he does the trick. Front foot pilots the board and drives the nose during the ollie, but to achieve that sharp trajectory it's opening up your shoulders and looking where you mean to head that initiates the movement. Watch it on loop a few times studying that and hopefully the trick should make sense.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdZsdIrjfnC/

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 08:03:12 AM »
I feel like I can pop and get the shape right with these but, same as any type of air really, I don't really understand how to go "up" without continuing "out" and risking hanging up. How do you get height out of a ramp and actually stay in it? Does it just depend on the transition?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 08:39:19 AM »
If you go "out" to flat, you are definitely pushing too hard off the ramp. One thing that used to help me was just learning to do frontside lips on every single shape of transition to know exactly how it's gonna throw you if you pop your tail.

You definitely have to 'jump' in your ollies, but it's tricky to get that momentum going just right. but learning multiple transitions will help you learn to do them better overall.

Another thing - if the ramp has vertical - snap your tail, definitely, but DON'T push off like a regular ollie! You'll bottom out.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 03:33:53 PM »
I feel like more speed, less "pop," and less angle are keys to going  higher. I think @silhouette described the guiding motion perfectly, you lead with your shoulders and your hips follow, and by extension your feet and your board, too. By the time your weight is starting to come back down you should be rotated around and looking to land in the transition. If you go straight up and slowly rotate your shoulders frontside, with enough speed you'll get above coping, or at least get your back trucks higher than it when rotated. Weight should stay inside the ramp, not so far you'll go fatty to flatty, but enough that you don't hang up. I also like what silhouette said about last minute disasters, if you find yourself coming down too close to coping, better to intentionally smack down on it than to hang up.

http://youtu.be/6UrcUq0Ig18
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:09:35 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 10:36:23 AM »
I would say do 5 minutes of L-sits every other day but they say different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuBOsvJorXg