Author Topic: You think skateboarding could cause hearing loss?  (Read 1641 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
You think skateboarding could cause hearing loss?
« on: May 03, 2022, 07:18:10 AM »
Serious question as I already lost quite a bit from Concerts.

I mean sometimes it’s just crazy loud when you land a flip on the wrong side of the deck for example.
You think it could have negative impact ?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
Re: You think skateboarding could cause hearing loss?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 08:01:53 AM »
Idk about hearing loss but it's made my tinnitus worse for sure...i'd say that's more from slams than the noise boards make though.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 11:23:47 AM »
Turning your Airpods up loud enough to drown out the sounds of the skatepark will give you hearing loss for sure, as for skating itself I think if you're outside in an open area most sounds won't hurt your ears too much unless you're less than 5 feet away from someone slamming their board on the ground griptape side downwards Jovontae style

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 01:13:12 PM »
I was born like 50% deaf but can't say skating made it worse for me. It's more like all that constant human talking that's making me completely deaf.

shut up and skate my pals
IG: @flowterspace

bssmithslide

• Rep: -41
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 08:23:01 PM »
if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 08:37:50 PM »
The skateboard itself only? I doubt it.

Trying to listen to music/podcasts over the sound of yourself skating? Yes. Absolutely.

For real. Be careful about that.

Unless you're rocking sound-cancelling headphones (definitely don't do that if you're skating streets) then just be fine with the fact that you will only be able to hear your song/podcast clearly in between tries.

Its not worth losing your hearing over something dumb like that.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
I broke a kingpin for the first time today. Trying to hammer it out was the loudest skate related sound I've heard so far and by far.
I failed btw, thunder forged baseplate.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 02:08:52 PM »
What? Come agan?

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 03:27:00 PM »
Eh?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 03:11:44 AM »
I broke a kingpin for the first time today. Trying to hammer it out was the loudest skate related sound I've heard so far and by far.

i've been putting this off with my broken thunder lights for a few weeks, skating a skinny setup with some old venture lows whilst i pluck up the courage to get around to it.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 08:27:59 AM »
Eh?

One of my friends growing up had one of these. Excellent for aiming amplified farts directly into the ear of an unsuspecting victim.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 11:37:23 AM »
indoor skateparks maybe

I leave after a 2 hour session with my ears ringing.. the guys working the counter full time gotta have it rough

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 01:56:19 PM »
I’ve had a few ear ringers after slapping my tail on the coping cheering for the crew…

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 07:17:13 AM »
The skateboard itself only? I doubt it.

Trying to listen to music/podcasts over the sound of yourself skating? Yes. Absolutely.

For real. Be careful about that.

Unless you're rocking sound-cancelling headphones (definitely don't do that if you're skating streets) then just be fine with the fact that you will only be able to hear your song/podcast clearly in between tries.

Its not worth losing your hearing over something dumb like that.

People listen to podcasts while skating? This is new to me lol

I get it listening to music to get pumped and try new stuff or with more confidence but podcasts? Maybe it's me

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 08:38:36 AM »
yeah really echoey, indoor spots i have noticed my ears ringing on the drive home even. if this is the main way you skate i would probably wear earplugs! but its not something i do very often so i dont care. if you are outside, i dont think its any louder than the sound of traffic , lawnmowers, etc. as far as dB levels are concerned.
ONTARIO CANADA

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 08:54:12 AM »

last time i tried i couldn't hammer it out
Heating the baseplate should soften it and help remove what's left

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 07:08:55 PM »
I mean sometimes it’s just crazy loud when you land a flip on the wrong side of the deck for example.

I’m sensing you might have been an only child.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 05:42:35 AM »
Serious question as I already lost quite a bit from Concerts.

Maybe

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2022, 06:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't know how hot you'd have to get aluminium to make a difference and can't see it not affecting the strength of the truck afterwards. The way it's always worked for me is get the biggest hammer you can find that you can still swing accurately (the back of an axe can work too but be careful it's not really what most axes were designed for) and hit it as hard as you possibly can.
Alternate crazy way: screw the baseplate towards the end of a 2x4 so you have what looks like a zombie killing pick thingy then swing the thing into the ground as hard as you can so just the kingpin hits.

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2022, 08:00:30 AM »
just turn down that bad brains tape a little more the next time youre doing slappies in front of the gas station on a school night

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2022, 11:44:57 PM »
I was reading thrasher and this guy said he fractured his skull and lost his sense of smell and hearing in one ear. Idk if he got it back.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 07:09:13 PM »
I think it depends. If you are in a loud ass indoor park or in a parking lot alone.

I will say as someone who was injured by loud noise, the loss of hearing isn't a big deal. It is the constant fucking ringing from tinnitus that will drive someone insane.

According to the Portland police:

The chief noise officer for the Portland Sheriff’s department concluded in a report that skateboarding noise was negligible at 50 feet but that sharp sounds from some tricks (like ollies) could reach 65 to 71 decibels; about the sound of a bat hitting a ball. Other tricks (like grinds) reach between 54 to 65 decibels. A skatepark is about as “noisy” as a playground.

60: Conversational speech
65: Skatepark (from 50 feet away)
70: Normal street noise

@Skatebeard  Holy shit I hope this device works. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-university-of-michigan-tinnitus-discovery-%E2%80%94-signal-timing.2805/page-122
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:25:58 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 10:27:02 PM »
I think it depends. If you are in a loud ass indoor park or in a parking lot alone.

I will say as someone who was injured by loud noise, the loss of hearing isn't a big deal. It is the constant fucking ringing from tinnitus that will drive someone insane.

According to the Portland police:

The chief noise officer for the Portland Sheriff’s department concluded in a report that skateboarding noise was negligible at 50 feet but that sharp sounds from some tricks (like ollies) could reach 65 to 71 decibels; about the sound of a bat hitting a ball. Other tricks (like grinds) reach between 54 to 65 decibels. A skatepark is about as “noisy” as a playground.

60: Conversational speech
65: Skatepark (from 50 feet away)
70: Normal street noise

@Skatebeard  Holy shit I hope this device works. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-university-of-michigan-tinnitus-discovery-%E2%80%94-signal-timing.2805/page-122

Ah cool thanks for the info.

The only exceptions I can think of are...

Skating a really loud and echoey parking garage. And I will say the pre-production cored 97a Bones X were very loud to my ears. Louder than anything else I've ever skated. I wonder if they could cause some damage.

But yeah besides that I think everyone will be fine. Again, just don't blast music in your ears to compete with the sound of your Skateboard.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Lazyskater

• Rep: 5
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 10:05:07 AM »
The 55mm 103a v5 shape is my current favorite. I skate a 9 ft indoor wooden bowl a bunch and haven't slipped out yet. They also slide great on ledges, but don't handle rough ground the greatest. their v4 shape is a little wider and might handle rough asphalt better

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2022, 02:01:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Don't know how hot you'd have to get aluminium to make a difference and can't see it not affecting the strength of the truck afterwards. The way it's always worked for me is get the biggest hammer you can find that you can still swing accurately (the back of an axe can work too but be careful it's not really what most axes were designed for) and hit it as hard as you possibly can.
Alternate crazy way: screw the baseplate towards the end of a 2x4 so you have what looks like a zombie killing pick thingy then swing the thing into the ground as hard as you can so just the kingpin hits.

you would risk causing more damage to the baseplate with a hammer than with a heat gun
It just works ( you don't have to heat it too much, it's just to help break / make loose the bond between the kingpin and the baseplate)

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2022, 05:15:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

you would risk causing more damage to the baseplate with a hammer than with a heat gun
It just works ( you don't have to heat it too much, it's just to help break / make loose the bond between the kingpin and the baseplate)
This

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 04:17:04 PM »
IDK, I work in loud environments (next to large marine engines) and have served in the military, its possible but with hearing loss it's a range and frequency thing. Like loudish noises (machinery) for long periods of times is bad, but also really loud noises (gun shots, hammering steel) for short periods of time can have adverse effects. You could try ear plugs or noise cancelling earbuds if your worried. When your old it don't matter if you can hear anyone your still gonna be "What did you shay shonny? "
Just call me Daddy.