Author Topic: Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade  (Read 4259 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
Re: Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2022, 03:38:11 PM »
Expand Quote
I just started to read about this (I'm non American) and can someone please give me a quick summary of what happened? I just saw the bill didn't pass. I thought abortion was legal in the US?
[close]

Simply put, the "Supreme" court is a group of 9 non-elected "judges" who are appointed to life long positions ad Supreme Court Justices. These "justices" hear cases and get to decide if current laws are in indeed valid or inline with the constitution.

6 of the 9 judges are practicing Catholics and have been funneled from Right Wing organizations into the court. These individuals have decided that while the Federal govt says abortion is legal, individual states have the right to decide it's legality in their boundaries, because it isn't "explicitly stated" in the constitution," or at least that's their interpretation.

So now, this sort of president crushing ruling sets future precedent for States to roll back other human rights such as marriage equality, racial and gender civil rights, etc.

To build on this a little bit, there's no law in the United States that says abortion is legal. In the 70's the Supreme Court decided that Abortions were a right protected under the constitution due to Americans having a right to "privacy". So a lot of states could try to limit abortions or make them harder to get, but no one could outlaw them (though many have tried).

As the other poster said, the current Supreme Court is likely to overturn the Roe v Wade & Casey v Planned Parenthood precedents, and leave abortion up to the individual states. Some states like California have laws that will keep abortion legal, but 22 states have laws that will immediately outlaw most or all abortion. More states will likely pass their own laws making abortion illegal as well.

The vote our Senate took that failed was basically doomed, and was more of a political stunt. They want to make people go on record against abortion because it's a very unpopular position. However, due to how fucked up our political system is, it is nearly impossible for the Democratic party to pass a law that will keep all abortion legal in the US.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2022, 02:32:28 PM »
Thank you both and gnarred. What the fuck it's so strange that in 2022 other issues like LGBTQ are advancing there but a simple abortion isn't? Like what ever happened to separation of church and state?

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2022, 03:05:46 PM »
Thank you both and gnarred. What the fuck it's so strange that in 2022 other issues like LGBTQ are advancing there but a simple abortion isn't? Like what ever happened to separation of church and state?

They're definitely going after gay rights too with the "don't say gay" bill in Florida

butterballs for jerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -56
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2022, 03:06:40 PM »

lol separation of church and state hasn't really ever truly existed in the US
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »

The scary thing that @iusedtoskatemore is referring to in their post is that, based on the reasoning this supreme court is using, other "rights" we have such as gay marriage and access to contraception are likely to be overturned and potentially made illegal as well. They are saying that only rights explicitly stated in the constitution are valid or rights need to have a significant role in the history of the United States. Of course, for most of the history of the United States, only Straight White Men have had rights, so basically we're screwed. They don't believe in the validity of these "unenumerated rights" aka rights that aren't explicitly written in the constitution but are inferred from other laws, specifically the "right to privacy" that some people believe can be inferred from the Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Fourteenth amendment.

6 of the current supreme court justices are racist, sexist, christian nationalists who are trying to set our country back 50 years, and 3 of the justices are wholly illegitimate in my opinion, having been seated in stolen seats. America is absolutely fucked.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2022, 04:59:52 PM »

both of these worth reading that might bring a little bit of understanding, not only to you, but to most Americans who are saying "where the fuck did this come from?" Grifters using religion to dupe people into ceding their rights and money. The 2nd article is especially interesting from a social standpoint, a backlash to the 60s... too bad they ate the body of christ and not a few tabs of LSD

https://theintercept.com/2022/05/10/roe-v-wade-federalist-society-religious-right/

https://theintercept.com/2022/05/12/abortion-roe-v-wade-francis-schaeffer-evangelical-christians/

I mean there's plenty more to read, but I think the intercept has done a great job this week
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

The real veganshawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2022, 03:39:22 AM »
All of the conservative justices need locked up for treason
Cocteau Twins