Author Topic: Pro Skaters everyone likes but you dislike  (Read 9404 times)

switchfakie

Re: Pro Skaters everyone likes but you dislike
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2022, 09:38:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Jahmal Smith. I don't see how he gets a pass for 3 shuvs and the tornado stuff on a ledge and Sebo doesn't.
[close]
Because hes funny

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2022, 10:27:29 AM »
idk if it's been said already, but Justin Henry doesn't do much for me. I think his style (both fashion style and on the board) seem a little too cramped. Maybe dislike is too strong a word, but wtv.

E.T for sure

First of all, ET is not even pro (yet), second of all, how dare you?  ;D

Seriously though, as a french canadian who wears baggy pants and jorts, this hurt.  :'(

LebowskisRug

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2022, 10:40:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jahmal Smith. I don't see how he gets a pass for 3 shuvs and the tornado stuff on a ledge and Sebo doesn't.
[close]
Because hes funny
[close]

I don't even find him funny. Dude is a corny meme.

Magnolia

• Rep: 413
  • She/They
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »
my classic answer to this used to be Ethan Fowler

for now I guess Crockett
I kind of agree with Gilbert, but his mother part has some impeccable moments. His pro shoe, however, is the best I've ever skated
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
I've never been a big fan of any of the original FA/Supreme kids outside of Kevin Bradley (who I just wish would produce to his potential and finally have the career-defining part he's capable of). Although, only Tyshawn and Sage are really liked, as most people shit on Nak, Aidan, and Sean Pablo.

sk8punk110

• Rep: -39
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2022, 04:40:11 PM »
I've never been a big fan of any of the original FA/Supreme kids outside of Kevin Bradley (who I just wish would produce to his potential and finally have the career-defining part he's capable of). Although, only Tyshawn and Sage are really liked, as most people shit on Nak, Aidan, and Sean Pablo.
Sage is a really cool dude all around he makes really good music unlike someone else.
My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2022, 05:43:51 PM »
Tyson Peterson

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sage is a really cool dude all around he makes really good music unlike someone else.
I'll give him props for getting a really impressive trick in my city. Just never been a huge fan and that's partially related to his output and maybe how they were all treated with such hype due to the Supreme association.

Not really making a comment on anyone's personality or outside interests. Unless they are blatantly kooking it, which doesn't come anywhere near applying to Sage.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2022, 07:06:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Is it because…
they’re husky?
[close]
Nah I dont like Chris Joslin either

He's put on weight, you're safe.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2022, 07:12:47 PM »
Newer skater - I don’t really get the hype around Caleb Barnett.  I’ve listened to his Bunt interview and he seems like a cool guy but there’s nothing that outstanding about his footage to me.

Yeah, and he still doesn’t have much footage. What changed in the last three years that made Hockey give him a board?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote
I will go with Gonz.  Yep. 

Any of the cariuma guys especially the flip in flip out dude. Gustavo Rubeio or whatever.

I used to not like Tom Knox and now he is among my favorites.

I’m having a really hard time with short skaters.   Low center of gravity skating. Zion is an example. He’s probably not short but skates like it.  Even tho he is absolutely incredible.  I’m 6’1’ which I consider pretty normal height I guess. 

Don’t care for the robot skaters either.  Shane and many of the new Asian cats in the contest.

Too techy is wack AF too.  Laser flip nose grind nollie tre out. Garbage.
[close]

Zion’s style is completely detestable. I also would put him on the list of most punchable faces in skateboarding.

Come at me bro

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2022, 08:26:58 PM »
idk if it's been said already, but Justin Henry doesn't do much for me. I think his style (both fashion style and on the board) seem a little too cramped. Maybe dislike is too strong a word, but wtv.

Expand Quote
E.T for sure
[close]

First of all, ET is not even pro (yet), second of all, how dare you?  ;D

Seriously though, as a french canadian who wears baggy pants and jorts, this hurt.  :'(

I was agreeing with most of the comments up until ET. Since then shit has gotten bugged out and people are just saying stuff. But ET looks great on board.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2022, 12:00:23 AM »
I’m at that age where I can’t really stand anyone who is mean or shitty ( especially to non-skaters In their parts).   I can separate tricks from the person and can appreciate Tyshawn or T-Funk parts for example, but they just seem unpleasant as people and I can’t care about them as skaters.   

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2022, 01:27:57 AM »
I’m at that age where I can’t really stand anyone who is mean or shitty ( especially to non-skaters In their parts).   I can separate tricks from the person and can appreciate Tyshawn or T-Funk parts for example, but they just seem unpleasant as people and I can’t care about them as skaters.
Same

godspeed is great but it could be a way better watch without showing how mean / stupid the majority of the crew / IC seems to be

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2022, 01:51:56 AM »
Alex Olson never deserved to be even flow when he got signed on Girl.

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2022, 02:43:25 AM »
I used to really like $lave skateboards and the artists drawings, but after listening to the Caleb Barnett diss on his bunt episode, it really rubs me the wrong way now thinking about their team and how majority white oside/vista-y it is. Call me a hater, but just do not vibe well with most of that crew of dudes

frontfootimpossible

• Rep: -25
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2022, 08:41:43 AM »
gonna get nuked for this, but I don't get the feel-goods for max palmer stuff the way everyone else does.
Quote from: Slap MessageBoards
frontfootimpossible,

You have received a warning for posting offensive material. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The Slap MessageBoards Team.

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2022, 08:53:45 AM »
In the modern era: Yuto and Shane O’Neill. Their both immensely talented and smooth. But the skating almost looks strangely robotic.

Yuto has secret transition skills though.

In the past: Koston for sure. I remember the industry pushing Koston so hard and he was absolutely crushing, but he was never my guy.

I was always more stoked to see McCrank skate.

Huge part of it too is attitude. When I was a kid, one of my friends was OBSESSED with Koston and we went to a Girl demo where he was skating. I remember him being a total asshole to EVERYONE, and ever since then, my friend never liked Koston the same way.
Meanwhile Rick (who I always liked better) was the last member of the team to get in the van, super nice to everyone, and absolutely killed it.

Rick is goated.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2022, 01:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve said it once before here, but Gustav Tonnessen. He’s obviously amazing and doesn’t need my approval, but his footage doesn’t do anything for me. No offense to those who like him, and there are tons.
[close]
So.. is it the man bun?

That’s almost offensive, but we can agree to disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I thought Gustav was universally unhateable.  In my opinion, he’s one of the most gifted street skaters on earth.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve said it once before here, but Gustav Tonnessen. He’s obviously amazing and doesn’t need my approval, but his footage doesn’t do anything for me. No offense to those who like him, and there are tons.
[close]
So.. is it the man bun?
[close]

That’s almost offensive, but we can agree to disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I thought Gustav was universally unhateable.  In my opinion, he’s one of the most gifted street skaters on earth.

It’s not that I even dislike him, I’m neutral on him - I rewatched his SS2 part after I posted that to see if my opinion could be swayed. The switch front heel over besos was sick. I know he’s gifted and innovative, but he’s not someone whose video parts I’ll revisit. Just devoid of style for me, sad to say. Not even the man bun, Gabriel Rodriguez rocked a ponytail in paco and that part is really sick.

I dunno, I’d rather watch Andrew verde or watch Jake rupp nollie over besos instead of seeing a nollie flip 360 from Gustav. But for sure, agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with being a Gustav fan.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2022, 02:07:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m having a really hard time with short skaters.   Low center of gravity skating. Zion is an example.  He’s probably not short but skates like it.  Even tho he is absolutely incredible.  I’m 6’1’ which I consider pretty normal height I guess. 
[close]

you should check out noe solis in godspeed

That dude rips so much harder than his body type would seemingly allow him to. What a gnarly skater.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2022, 03:17:01 PM »
Fuck it, I’ll say it, something about Manderson rubs me the wrong way, despite how original and amazing of a skater he is.  I dunno, the elbow sleeve, the overly postured style, abundance of switch wallie tricks, the fact that he always comes off a little pseudo-alpha in interviews… maybe I’m just jealous of his skill and goat farm or whatever.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2022, 03:55:49 PM »
Tyson Peterson

Nah I hate him too so not everyone likes him.

I will add Cookie to this list

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2022, 05:03:23 PM »
I’m having a really hard time with short skaters.   

You must really hate Felipe Nunez.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2022, 05:04:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m having a really hard time with short skaters.   
[close]

You must really hate Felipe Nunez.

Yea fuck Ernie Torres am I right guys?!
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2022, 06:39:45 PM »
I dislike Grant Taylor. Super talented and skates fast as fuck but the style is not there for me.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2022, 07:09:06 PM »
I dislike Grant Taylor. Super talented and skates fast as fuck but the style is not there for me.

Perfect answer for this thread.   Don’t agree whatsoever, but it’s definitely what this thread is for

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2022, 07:25:51 PM »
Gilbert. I think I like him as a person, but I have never rewatched a part from his baggy pants phase. Sorry big guy. Theyre too big. He looks like hes wearing his Dads clothes

Mother Goose.

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2022, 07:45:20 PM »
Arnie Stein

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -480
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2022, 09:50:35 PM »
Prod. i Dont Hate him, but Dont get the Hype.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook