Author Topic: Davonte quitting Illegal Civ to join Tyshawn and Nakel?  (Read 7864 times)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2155
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: Davonte quitting Illegal Civ to join Tyshawn and Nakel?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2022, 09:43:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Zach Saraceno needs to get poached by another team. he rips. i forget what part it was maybe an IC intro? anybody got that link?

Krooked
[close]

I agree, he has a part in godspeed, super good. It really stuck out to me because i wasnt expecting it. He had my favorite clips aside from ishod. I know he can't help it, but he totally has the face of a spoiled rich kid.
Move over, Blodney, there’s a new spoiled, rich kid faced sheriff in town.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2022, 11:26:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Zach Saraceno needs to get poached by another team. he rips. i forget what part it was maybe an IC intro? anybody got that link?

Krooked
[close]

I agree, he has a part in godspeed, super good. It really stuck out to me because i wasnt expecting it. He had my favorite clips aside from ishod. I know he can't help it, but he totally has the face of a spoiled rich kid.

Most of the IC guys look like they were conceived on a golf course
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2022, 12:12:29 PM »
No way Ishod quits Real for a half fried startup company.

Real doesn't pay as much as you'd think. And Jim T. wouldn't hold it against him if he was leaving to have ownership stake in a brand.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2022, 12:26:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ppl aren't gonna just leave Mikey Alfred; he's pretty threatening.
[close]

I mean his uncle Phil was a prominent lawyer then was appointed a judge.
[close]

That was his father not his uncle

Yeah,you right.

LonleySk8er15

• Rep: 41
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2022, 12:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
if tyshawn had quit on his own or at least wasn’t obviously stirring something up that involved nak, i would be excited. that said, just because a person starts a company doesn’t mean they are going to be the art director, so regardless of how we feel about either person in the sense of their ability to successfully run a brand’s image, it doesn’t matter. obviously as the main names/faces behind the brand they will have to be apart of the image but, i feel like if anything this will be run by someone at supreme or something with their obvious ties and how much other shit they’re trying to do simultaneously in their careers. i’m not big on supreme at all but it does sell and if anything it makes sense for them to get behind these guy’s company more so than violet or fa being the age/talent factor.
[close]

I agree. Doesn't seem like NAK and Tyshawn have any experience in the art department, but they do have the image, connections, and notoriety to really make a solid move in making a company and forming a decent team, if done right. A SOTY and a Movie Star. Like the SOTY AVE and movie star Jason Dill lol

EDIT: Also, given that Davonte films Nak and Tyshawn as well as the crew of dudes with the likes Mikey and the IC/SoCal skate rats already over the years, it doesn't really seem weird to film both guys and others in their crew of friends and use each person's footage for both respective teams. Not all skate filmers are tied to one exact company unless its under contract with like nike sb or adidas or something. And sometimes a homie catches second or third angles to send to the boss or video editing staff
Im wondering if they will have product out in time for the summer season. I mean its go time. if the stuff isnt already ordered then they might miss the peak seasons. Most brands prebook product 6 months out so maybe they will have stuff for Holiday? If they miss that, launching a brand in the dead of winter seems like a bad idea so maybe next spring it will be ready? And after the Lotties shit will shops really support a NAK owned brand.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2022, 12:43:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Real doesn't pay as much as you'd think. And Jim T. wouldn't hold it against him if he was leaving to have ownership stake in a brand.

Guy has a Nike pro model.   Think he’s doing pretty well in the money department.   I don’t think co-owning a board brand as opposed to being a rider is quite the financial boon you think it is

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -138
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2022, 01:41:17 PM »
OP, some people on IG just like every comment under their posts

i was the only comment he liked

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2022, 01:43:36 PM »
Sorry OP looks like he's changed his mind. Maybe start another thread

lol nevermind i kooked myself

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2022, 01:52:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Guy has a Nike pro model.   Think he’s doing pretty well in the money department.   I don’t think co-owning a board brand as opposed to being a rider is quite the financial boon you think it is

I think it was Tommy Guerreros nine Club where estimated that real is easily ishods lowest paying sponsor. And that’s straight from the owners mouth so.

The question is would Ishod dip for ownership? Does he care? He’s  at that height of his career but he’s also a hardcore skate rat . He seems more than content to just skate and play with his cars and having to run a company seems like it would get in the way.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2022, 03:29:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think it was Tommy Guerreros nine Club where estimated that real is easily ishods lowest paying sponsor. And that’s straight from the owners mouth so.

The question is would Ishod dip for ownership? Does he care? He’s  at that height of his career but he’s also a hardcore skate rat . He seems more than content to just skate and play with his cars and having to run a company seems like it would get in the way.

We’re just assuming ownership too.   Look at all the people who dipped to start their own board brands that have failed.  Mason left element which I’m sure paid well to go to real.    Violet just came out too so that Supreme adjacent area is getting a little over saturated as it is.   

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

We’re just assuming ownership too.   Look at all the people who dipped to start their own board brands that have failed.  Mason left element which I’m sure paid well to go to real.    Violet just came out too so that Supreme adjacent area is getting a little over saturated as it is.   

We also cannot forget the fact that some big time skaters dip a respective company like within the DLXSF and Crailtap or Workshop families during their peak and when their literally unstoppable, so it would be a tough business call to join royalty over loyalty

EDIT: I kinda get the vibe that because of the revamped exposure in skateboarding and big corpos supporting skaters with side business deck companies (i.e. 917, skate mental under nike sb camp. Now is it adidas’ riders’ time??) it could possibly pan out. That just my speculation as an outsider looking in and pondering.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2022, 03:38:11 PM »
Ain’t no way Ishod leaving real for some Startup with Nakel. Seen him and Tyshawn interacting but it does not seem like him and Nakel would get along enough to be on a board brand together.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2022, 03:55:13 PM »
Ya where are people getting the idea that Ishod would leave one of his oldest sponsors? Because he is also African American? Because he had footage in an IC video as did Nak? Seems like kind of a loose association. Has he been seen riding blanks or other decks?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2022, 06:12:22 PM »
Ya where are people getting the idea that Ishod would leave one of his oldest sponsors? Because he is also African American? Because he had footage in an IC video as did Nak? Seems like kind of a loose association. Has he been seen riding blanks or other decks?

Yeah Wasn’t Zion in that same video?   He seems like he’d need to break out more than Ishod. 

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

We also cannot forget the fact that some big time skaters dip a respective company like within the DLXSF and Crailtap or Workshop families during their peak and when their literally unstoppable, so it would be a tough business call to join royalty over loyalty

EDIT: I kinda get the vibe that because of the revamped exposure in skateboarding and big corpos supporting skaters with side business deck companies (i.e. 917, skate mental under nike sb camp. Now is it adidas’ riders’ time??) it could possibly pan out. That just my speculation as an outsider looking in and pondering.

All speculations for sure regarding Ishod. Agree his Nike money is probably good, but that doesn't last forever. If he is thinking about the long money, getting ownership stake in a brand would be a solid move (if successful). That's part of the gamble. Everyone thought FA was an idiotic idea 9 years ago, now it's a top 3 brand. If these dudes are able to recreate that and have a run like FA for the next 8-10 years he could be set by 40. As for the royalty over loyalty argument, there is literally no royalty in an upstart, just a hope that one day there is. Basically betting on yourself.

Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah Wasn’t Zion in that same video?   He seems like he’d need to break out more than Ishod. 

I saw someone else mention it and ran with it.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2022, 07:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

All speculations for sure regarding Ishod. Agree his Nike money is probably good, but that doesn't last forever. If he is thinking about the long money, getting ownership stake in a brand would be a solid move (if successful). That's part of the gamble. Everyone thought FA was an idiotic idea 9 years ago, now it's a top 3 brand. If these dudes are able to recreate that and have a run like FA for the next 8-10 years he could be set by 40. As for the royalty over loyalty argument, there is literally no royalty in an upstart, just a hope that one day there is. Basically betting on yourself.

I guess I personally wouldn’t see a board company as a “long run” thing considering recent history/volatility, but I also wouldn’t use my money to invest in the skate industry if I had his money either.   

backfliptofiftyfifty

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2022, 08:31:41 PM »
Ain’t no way Ishod leaving real for some Startup with Nakel. Seen him and Tyshawn interacting but it does not seem like him and Nakel would get along enough to be on a board brand together.

bro what r u talking abt. davontes new video is litterally just ishod and nakel hanging out

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2022, 09:04:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

bro what r u talking abt. davontes new video is litterally just ishod and nakel hanging out
The only time I remember who Davonte is is when I stumble into these threads so I’m never aware when he comes out with anything.

I stand corrected, so I’ll say Ishod might hangout with him but leaving his longtime home to start a business with someone like Nakel, who’s prone to talking out his ass at the smallest sign he’s not getting what he wants.

Also, having Ishod and Tyshawn, the two black SOTYs and then Nakel feels like him hanging onto their coattails. That’s coming from someone who used to watch his 3 Stripes part weekly

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2022, 07:53:08 AM »
nakel is like dj Khaled in that the general public doesnt like them but behind the scenes people fuck with them and they are the people who gets everyone in the same room together

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2022, 08:30:15 AM »
nakel is like dj Khaled in that the general public doesnt like them but behind the scenes people fuck with them and they are the people who gets everyone in the same room together

Pretty sure DJ Khaled doesn’t record his songs We Are the World style and they’re probably not showing up for free

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2022, 01:37:22 PM »
i think some people are forgetting that AVE and Dill have been around every part of the industry for over 20 years. Them starting brands at the age they did is a hell of a lot different then starting one at Nakel and Tyshawn's age.  I have nothing against Nakel's skating, but he comes across as the kind of kid who would want to work in a skateshop because he thinks it's all free product and no work.  As a former skate shop owner, those kids are way too prevalent
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

conqueso

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2022, 02:01:06 PM »

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1134
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2022, 03:46:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

idk man maybe he has a point

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2022, 04:02:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would definitely make more sense for Zion. His career has been ass the last couple years. He was in the Olympics sure but like why his runs are fucking boring . And he got on vans which again why cause he looks awful in vans and adds absolutely zero to the team. Even real has barely promoted him. Seems like he’s on his way out and could use a boost that a new company would give.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2022, 08:26:49 PM »
Tyshawn probably just wants to consolidate under his own brand (his name). He can have more control over his name having his own board company.

Ishod speculation is pretty low brow, sorry. Ishod is one of the greatest to ever do it. He rips everything. In a different reality I could see Tyshawn on Ishod’s company but not the other way around. Get REAL (lol, didn’t intend to drop a cliche but I’m sticking with jt)
The chillest1

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2022, 09:04:33 PM »
Lmfao Ishod the GOAT is not going to go to 2 egomaniacs’ half baked board company that will undoubtedly fail because despite any money from supreme/c-list celebrity connections they have, running a board company is incredibly difficult and margins are fucked.

Tyshawn should focus on putting out parts (though his entrepreneurial tendencies are awesome too) and nak should fade into obscurity, or check his ego a bit and also put out parts.

Edit: tyshawn isn’t really an egomaniac

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2022, 09:42:25 PM »
Godspeed sucked.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2022, 12:22:18 AM »
What @NoComply180 said. Also, Godspeed was kinda tight, but not as tight as everyone in it thought it was. The Coachella of skate vids if you will. I had fun at the chella when I was young but shit is overhyped.

I’d rather see a main attraction than get shoved half ass shit from my favorites
The chillest1

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2022, 10:47:08 AM »
Lateral move