Author Topic: Sushi, Sashimi and Seafood  (Read 505 times)

3D X-Ray Vision

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
  • Favorite Holiday: Zero Fucksgiving
Sushi, Sashimi and Seafood
« on: May 11, 2022, 06:31:40 PM »

I love Sushi, I'm not rich so I don't eat it all the time but I'm lucky enough to have traveled a lot and have been to both fine restaurants and little dives all over the world and eaten some good fish. I don't live near the coast now but if I ever do again I might go full Pescatarian. Best sushi I've ever had was at The Drunken Fish in St. Louis, best sake and a bit expensive but nice and fancy if you're on a date or whatevs. My favorite fish dishes are grilled Tuna Steak, Swordfish and Atlantic Salmon. Baked Lemon Pepper Cod and Red Snapper Veracruz are bomb. Shrimp boil with huge Prawns and melted butter. As far as freshwater fish I like Trout Almondine and Cajun Catfish. British-style Fish and Chips is the best when it's done right and not too greasy. Oysters, Scallops, Lobster Tail, Crab Legs, bring it on

What you're doing is like if I made a thread that was about monster trucks and everyone started saying "Uh, just get a bicycle". I just wanna know how you guys wash your asses

3D X-Ray Vision

Re: Sushi, Sashimi and Seafood
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 06:36:45 PM »
If you want cheap, Safeway in California has pretty good sushi and they still do $5 Fridays, and because it's not cooked you can buy sushi with EBT. I find this kinda funny
What you're doing is like if I made a thread that was about monster trucks and everyone started saying "Uh, just get a bicycle". I just wanna know how you guys wash your asses

LUGR

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 06:38:39 PM »
Don’t forget about ceviche.

Uh Oh

• Rep: 233
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 06:52:20 PM »
I live in the other American "bay area". I eat my fair share of seafood, including these polarizing delights.
I was so concerned/disturbed the first time I saw someone consume a softshell, now I'll get a couple every year. They're in season now..

IusedToSkateMore

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 07:08:09 PM »
If you want cheap, Safeway in California has pretty good sushi and they still do $5 Fridays, and because it's not cooked you can buy sushi with EBT. I find this kinda funny

I was an EBT traveler for a minute and never realized that. Prepared but not cooked Burritos, take away uncooked pizza, but not sushi.

I've had some really good fish up in far northern California. Salmon types are real good when salmon is running. Same with some fresh maguro. Eating rolls is always a nice treat, but I prefer a chefs sashimi plate/boat/bowl most of the time
stay high, lay low

matt_2993

• Rep: 43
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 08:38:41 PM »
This was my favorite dish in my city until the pandemic took it off their menu  :'(

Its all just smothered in the greatest chimichuri style sauce with the juiciest grilles lemons

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -696
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 05:54:42 AM »
Alll of it. Give me now. Fried, boiled, whatever.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 09:10:04 AM »
Short of eating sea weed…and sea salt….I’m out…..the ocean is fucked….it doesn’t need me eating out of it any more….

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 16
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 09:17:21 AM »
Short of eating sea weed…and sea salt….I’m out…..the ocean is fucked….it doesn’t need me eating out of it any more….

i'd gnar you if I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5CXN7soQg

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 02:01:41 PM »
I used to eat ceviche amd drink beers at the San Pedro Port of Call before it closed down.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

3D X-Ray Vision

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 03:12:53 PM »
Never had Ceviche. It looks delicious and I'm sure I would like it but I can't get the thought of explosive diarrhea out of my head every time I see it

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 05:14:18 PM »

Agreed.

The only ‘ethical’ seafood seems to be oysters. They don’t seem to be able to feel pain, you don’t need to disturb the ocean floor to harvest them, and they filter the water and clean it. It’s actually quite sustainable.

If I ever started eating seafood again, I’d start this them. But until I find myself in a situation where it’s necessary, I’ll refrain
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

&& is no stranger to the female species. Hes always got some travel pussy with him in his slambulance. -Hateboard

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1251
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 05:44:30 PM »
I just eat whatever fresh caught fish my parents are gifted by neighbors and friends when I am in Hawaii visiting. It gets no fresher and it's communal.
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

SaySo

• Rep: 50
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 06:13:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'd gnar you if I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5CXN7soQg

Hard to avoid when it's all around you though.

And folks here love them some cheap-ass 回転寿司 (kaitenzushi - conveyor belt sushi restaurant)...neither stopping to think about how something can be so cheap (heavily subsidized and exploited labor force) nor considering the impact their daily choices have on the world - not just food supply but also climate/air quality/etc.

https://youtu.be/watch?v=CCzD3ONQsmM
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

SaySo

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 06:15:55 AM »
Never had Ceviche. It looks delicious and I'm sure I would like it but I can't get the thought of explosive diarrhea out of my head every time I see it

It doesn't necessarily have to be. Especially if you make it yourself.

When I still used to eat seafood, I'd make a shrimp ceviche that consisted of blanched shrimp mixed with a citrus based pico de gallo.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 387
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 10:23:29 AM »
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is free on YouTube with ads. Really interesting look into sushi and also the culture of work/life in Japan. Would recommend it if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr09oEJqnfI

Irvine-Sucks.com

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 11:39:29 AM »
I live in the other American "bay area". I eat my fair share of seafood, including these polarizing delights.
I was so concerned/disturbed the first time I saw someone consume a softshell, now I'll get a couple every year. They're in season now..

I had softshells once in Annapolis as a kid and I wasn’t a fan. I’d give them a try again but I don’t like the gills and guts and shit so I doubt my opinion has changed.

Regular MD blue crabs with Old Bay are the bomb though.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2022, 02:51:56 PM »
I've lived within a half hour of the ocean, a sound, a bay, etc for nearly my whole life. An uncle on my Dad's side owned a seafood restaurant for years and my mom is Japanese. I have so many good food memories and good feelings around seafood.

I didn't eat oysters as a kid but now there's nothing I won't eat.  Fresh seafood that is fried well and put between some cheap white bread with hot sauce is the pinnacle of eating. Scallop has been my favorite type of sushi for a while now and good mackerel is pretty unreal.

I had a soft shell crab sandwich the other night that unfortunately kind of sucked. They put some some maple bacon on it and even after taking it off all I could taste was fucking maple syrup.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2022, 03:22:11 PM »

That looks amazing

In south Louisiana and I could live on seafood alone.  I think my favorite is boiled shrimp, but can’t go wrong with any kind of fried catfish, shrimp, oyster or soft shell po boy.  Turtle soup.  Seafood gumbo.  Stuffed crabs or shrimp.  Fried frog legs.  Crawfish fettuccine.  Crawfish etoufee. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2022, 03:35:21 PM »
Sushi is great and all, but I’m an east coast boy so I’ll take a good lobster roll and fried clams over just about anything.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 04:00:33 PM »
When I was in Japan I ate this huge sashimi meal, there were like 40 little plates….one of which was a live geoduck which is this massive clam thing….it kinda looks like a horrific dong…flopping on the table.  You cook it with a tea light.  You need like a knife and fork to eat it, it’s so big.  I wasn’t a fan…….

SaySo

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2022, 02:49:59 AM »
When I was in Japan I ate this huge sashimi meal, there were like 40 little plates….one of which was a live geoduck which is this massive clam thing….it kinda looks like a horrific dong…flopping on the table.  You cook it with a tea light.  You need like a knife and fork to eat it, it’s so big.  I wasn’t a fan…….

Yeah, the live/still squirming seafood thing is kinda big here. Sort of a novelty/gimmick to demonstrate "how fresh" the fish is.

Some izakaya have aquariums and kiddie pools filled with live fish.

They will often cut up horse mackerel to order and present it with the head/spine/fins intact alongside the meat. The mouth and gills are still opening and closing and the backbone/tail is still flexing.

There are quite a few items that most folks I know back home wouldn't associate with "Japanese food" often found on menus here. Crickets, silkworms, raw horsemeat, raw chicken, sparrow, bear, fish sperm sacks, etc.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 07:27:43 AM »
Whale is kinda a bummer…..

SaySo

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 07:48:27 AM »
Whale is kinda a bummer…..

For sure.

It still trips me out to see that in run of the mill supermarkets. I honestly don't think it sells well, because it's always heavily discounted.

Anecdotally, the majority of people I know have never eaten it. But they jokingly call it "fish."

Whaling on a small scale has been part of the culture of certain regions, it wasn't a significant part of the Japanese diet until after WWII when protein sources were scarce.

Now it's more of a hill the right wing nationalists/historical revisionists like to die on. They call it "an integral part of Japanese culture" or something like that. Scary thought though, the people who consume it are the ones in charge of the country...the last people we'd want going "mad hatter" from eating swimming thermometer meat.

Anyhow, sorry to derail the thread.