Author Topic: Lucien Genand: 'Boardslide Hood' Part  (Read 1652 times)

RoaryMcTwang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
Lucien Genand: 'Boardslide Hood' Part
« on: May 12, 2022, 03:07:48 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0Il9tOfsA

He does like 5 tricks but he does them really well. Ender is suicidal.

usehername720

• Rep: 6
Re: Lucien Genand: 'Boardslide Hood' Part
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 03:31:17 AM »
Great spot/trick selection, manual to the ride on grind on the rail was crazy

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 06:09:33 AM »
my shit

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 06:17:03 AM »
How do people not murder their filmers after they watch their footage? Literally risk your life and it looks like the first thing your gran ever filmed on her phone.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 06:36:11 AM »
How do people not murder their filmers after they watch their footage? Literally risk your life and it looks like the first thing your gran ever filmed on her phone.
This! If that part was filmed by strobeck or Ben Chadourne, that would be an instant classic. Btw does Kevin Rodriguez still skates?
Has he released something in the last 2 years?

yeayeaman

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 07:19:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This! If that part was filmed by strobeck or Ben Chadourne, that would be an instant classic. Btw does Kevin Rodriguez still skates?
Has he released something in the last 2 years?

chadourne makes it classic, strobeck makes it forgettable

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 07:21:42 AM »
I think you gotta get with the times player. This style of filming has been the norm for years at this point, and the Strobeck comments are boring AF.

Go back and watch Eastern Exposure 3 and there's a lot of the same zooming going on. Sure coulda been done a little better, but this is some kid in France making a video with his homie, not a staff filmer for a top-tier brand.

People complaining about dynamic zooming when filming kinda sound like an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn at some point.

French Aidan Mackey was cool tho. Liked the Chinese Nollie to step 50

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 07:21:54 AM »
Pretty fucked, I liked it. The boardslide on the tree and the noseslide to fakie into the bank were probably my favorite tricks.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 07:28:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think you gotta get with the times player. This style of filming has been the norm for years at this point, and the Strobeck comments are boring AF.

Go back and watch Eastern Exposure 3 and there's a lot of the same zooming going on. Sure coulda been done a little better, but this is some kid in France making a video with his homie, not a staff filmer for a top-tier brand.

People complaining about dynamic zooming when filming kinda sound like an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn at some point.

you get it

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 08:09:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I kept rewatching that trick over and over… a thing of beauty.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 08:23:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol doesn't take a top tier staff filmer to at least present the spot in an interesting way (or even just get the spot in frame). Clips come out every day that do it fine zoom and all. Some of this is just not good. Kinda like saying Chinese nollie in 2022.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 02:43:34 PM »
 Legitimate (and probably dumbshit) question:
 Why is the term "chinese nollie/ollie" considered offensive? Is it just because the word "chinese" is used or is there a more negative connotation that I'm unaware of?

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »
 Why is the term "chinese nollie/ollie" considered offensive? Is it just because the word "chinese" is used or is there a more negative connotation that I'm unaware of?

always wondered this too. i asked my trusty group chat and the best answer i heard was that it originated from some guys in japan way back when doing them. i’m guessing the osaka daggers. so saying a chinese nollie is fucked up in hindsight

backspinflip

• Rep: -28
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 03:32:36 PM »

it's a cheap, fake version of a nollie. Despite it being a cool trick (right now at least), but the 'chinese' part of the name represents things that are not.

There's a reason you don't see many Chinese skaters doing them.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »
Pointing out less than stellar filming is a legitimate critique of independent projects like these. You start sounding like an old man yelling at a cloud when you go on about their outfits, trick or music selection.

Kids drive culture, but also kids are fuckin up the filming, man. We just want to be able to clearly see you do your insane nollie bumps in your all black getup.

Edit: I thought this was fuckin great, btw. And having watched it twice now, I think some of that zooming stuff does work in this edit, but there were moments that got in the way of me enjoying the skating.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 03:55:38 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

waffle

• Rep: 123
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 05:01:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's a cheap, fake version of a nollie. Despite it being a cool trick (right now at least), but the 'chinese' part of the name represents things that are not.

This is literally the only clip I’ve ever seen of one, regardless of race.

The idea that this trick is done less by others because *you* assume everyone worldwide calls it the same American slang you do (have heard what translates to “pop tart” in other countries) is stupid. Maybe a little entitled.

But hey - thanks for managing to speak on their behalf!

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2022, 06:33:03 PM »
ive been doing em for years im not gonna type out what i call them

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 07:41:14 PM »
😎😎😎
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:57:49 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 09:54:26 PM »
Damn, my hopes weren’t high in the beginning but that just kept getting better. Stoke.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2022, 10:34:37 PM »
Gnarly stuff.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 03:02:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What makes it a cheap version?   It’s something I see with my eyes (and like a lot) but can’t quite explain what my face orbs saw with my word hole.   

Captain Creampie

• Rep: -8
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 04:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lets go compare everything to something American ... but yeah agree, good edit!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 07:08:07 AM »
bro who the fuck listens to this music like unless you spend all ur time wistfully staring out of public transit windows

no cap ruined it for me. soundtracking edits to people reading undergrad prose is some shit that’s gotta go

anyone who says “me” is actually lying, this is not what you put on in the car and if you do you weird fr

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 11:06:38 AM »
dude likes the black colour. sick

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 01:26:50 PM »
bro who the fuck listens to this music like unless you spend all ur time wistfully staring out of public transit windows

no cap ruined it for me. soundtracking edits to people reading undergrad prose is some shit that’s gotta go

anyone who says “me” is actually lying, this is not what you put on in the car and if you do you weird fr

Ya I remember a time in my life where I woulda "me'd" this but no way would I wanna go back there
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 06:57:23 PM »
That…mini bump no pop Nollie to grind was Fucking incredible. That trick is one of my favorites to do cruising around places.  Doing them to manual is fun too.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

newMe

• Rep: 16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 03:47:57 AM »

There's an old Free editorial about Crack nollies/Chinese ollies. Basically it's says the name was invented in 1982, in SF. First done by Mick Archimedes. Pressing on the nose and bumping off of a crack in the sidewalk. It was called Chinese ollie because it was difficult, like Chinese arithmetic. Noses on boards in '82 were only about 3 inches long and flat, not like the boards of today, so I can see how this would have been significantly harder back then. So I don't think the basis of the name "Chinese ollie" had racist connotations, but who knows.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 201
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2022, 11:45:34 AM »

This!

really enjoyable clip. didn't mind the "limited" trick selection. loved the skating

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2022, 03:53:18 PM »

There's an old Free editorial about Crack nollies/Chinese ollies. Basically it's says the name was invented in 1982, in SF. First done by Mick Archimedes. Pressing on the nose and bumping off of a crack in the sidewalk. It was called Chinese ollie because it was difficult, like Chinese arithmetic. Noses on boards in '82 were only about 3 inches long and flat, not like the boards of today, so I can see how this would have been significantly harder back then. So I don't think the basis of the name "Chinese ollie" had racist connotations, but who knows.

Thanks for this and no thanks to FSM for not having daily temps listed in the video description.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2022, 07:51:40 PM »
That was intense
Cocteau Twins