Author Topic: kader of baker  (Read 203984 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: kader of baker
« Reply #1560 on: May 25, 2023, 07:44:22 PM »
imagine staying with the same employer for 6-7 years
and at the ripe age of 20, looking for new pastures

the nerve of this kid

Not saying baker is the end all be all. But it’s like being drafted to  the 95-96 bulls as a rookie. Jordan hyping you. you are no longer a rookie. And then deciding you should go to the newest team that could have a great season but the are all rookies and shit and will probably fall off in a year or 2 and be the sonics or something.  idk I don’t watch a lot of sports.

I get wanting a change of pace. But when you’re already on one of the top teams. Any other choice is a downgrade. Especially if you left and are choosing to leave. Could have pulled a spanly and just been like a legacy dude at baker. And prob could have milked it into his 40s. Like the og crail dudes

Southernmost

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1561 on: May 25, 2023, 11:43:19 PM »
As much as I’d prefer to see Kader stay on Baker I am also happy to see him grow and move on to something new. Reynolds said it himself its a similar situation he was in with Tony/Birdhouse around the same age.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1562 on: May 25, 2023, 11:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
imagine staying with the same employer for 6-7 years
and at the ripe age of 20, looking for new pastures

the nerve of this kid
[close]

Not saying baker is the end all be all. But it’s like being drafted to  the 95-96 bulls as a rookie. Jordan hyping you. you are no longer a rookie. And then deciding you should go to the newest team that could have a great season but the are all rookies and shit and will probably fall off in a year or 2 and be the sonics or something.  idk I don’t watch a lot of sports.

I get wanting a change of pace. But when you’re already on one of the top teams. Any other choice is a downgrade. Especially if you left and are choosing to leave. Could have pulled a spanly and just been like a legacy dude at baker. And prob could have milked it into his 40s. Like the og crail dudes
thats the beauty of being 20 and hugely popular
plenty of time to milk it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #1563 on: May 26, 2023, 12:08:32 AM »
As much as I’d prefer to see Kader stay on Baker I am also happy to see him grow and move on to something new. Reynolds said it himself its a similar situation he was in with Tony/Birdhouse around the same age.

I think you could tell he was trying to rationalize it with relating it to that but knows it not the case .  Really he’s just a hopped a new team with a dude who’s cultural impact on skating is on its way out . Kids and the industry are over bill and fa and supreme . It seems weird to jump off baker right now who are at what’s really the beginning of a new phase of popularity because of kader and the rest of the team Andrew built around that time. This is like if antwaun left after baker has a deathwish. Just a weird move.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1564 on: May 26, 2023, 05:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kader's output is very impressive for a twenty year old and the fact that so many people are trying to deny that proves that Slap is almost always harsher on black skaters than anyone else.
[close]

Or maybe it has nothing to do with race at all. Mr. Virtue.

Plus everyone champions ishod. Idk if I’ve ever seen anyone say anything negative about ishod. Ishod is talented and crushes it in every way. And lives up to the hype he created for himself. Kader not so much.
Got rocketed into the lime light from Reynolds got hyped up. Had  potential he had as a kid and has yet to prove the hype. In my eyes ishod is where he’s at because his work ethic and talent and created opportunity for himself. Kader was given his opportunity and more or  less is letting it flounder and nit living up to his child potential. Dudes to burnt
[close]

You're the second guy in as many days to justify his dislike of Kader by comparing him to one of the true outlier, first ballot hall of famer, Mt. Rushmore type skaters. That's not a fair expectation to put on anyone. Kader might've been "discovered" by Reynolds, but that in no way means he must follow in his every footstep.

The whole "I like Ishod because HE WORKS HARD" shtick is not a good look at all btw. I'd encourage you to reflect on any well-worn stereotypes about black people and work ethic you might have internalized.
[close]

Tyshawn works hard too. And plenty of other black skaters. Quit crying victim.

Tyshawn's another great example of an incredible skater who gets scrutinized for very bad reasons. I've seen at least a dozen comments hating on him for wearing a durag alone, which is straight up racist as fuck.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #1565 on: May 26, 2023, 05:23:30 AM »
I mean…this is slap. What are we here for if not to be overly critical of a skater’s fashion choices?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1566 on: May 26, 2023, 05:40:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kader's output is very impressive for a twenty year old and the fact that so many people are trying to deny that proves that Slap is almost always harsher on black skaters than anyone else.
[close]

Plus everyone champions ishod. Idk if I’ve ever seen anyone say anything negative about ishod. Ishod is talented and crushes it in every way. And lives up to the hype he created for himself. Kader not so much.
Got rocketed into the lime light from Reynolds got hyped up. Had  potential he had as a kid and has yet to prove the hype. In my eyes ishod is where he’s at because his work ethic and talent and created opportunity for himself. Kader was given his opportunity and more or  less is letting it flounder and nit living up to his child potential. Dudes to burnt
[close]

You're the second guy in as many days to justify his dislike of Kader by comparing him to one of the true outlier, first ballot hall of famer, Mt. Rushmore type skaters. That's not a fair expectation to put on anyone. Kader might've been "discovered" by Reynolds, but that in no way means he must follow in his every footstep.

The whole "I like Ishod because HE WORKS HARD" shtick is not a good look at all btw. I'd encourage you to reflect on any well-worn stereotypes about black people and work ethic you might have internalized.
[close]

[close]

Tyshawn's another great example of an incredible skater who gets scrutinized for very bad reasons. I've seen at least a dozen comments hating on him for wearing a durag alone, which is straight up racist as fuck.

The Durag hate was def racist and mind blowing people didn’t know durags had a practical use.

I think tyshawn is scrutinized when skate media hypes the such a business man and he wiffs a board brand (which at this time is a dud)or whatever he’s gonna get scrutinized but I think if anyone is hyped up and it flops people are gonna call it out. Which is why hypeing people up if they fail they catch hate.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #1567 on: May 26, 2023, 05:48:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Durag hate was def racist and mind blowing people didn’t know durags had a practical use.

Glad we can at least agree on that. I've seen plenty of other shitty examples that go unchecked. I wasn't expecting my post to go without some pushback but I'm not just shooting blindly here.

There are fair reasons to criticize Kader (or anyone), but it's frustrating seeing the same talking points beaten to death. Seeing him called lazy or being  compared to actual violent criminals is a weird double standard that I think is fair to call out.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #1568 on: May 26, 2023, 05:52:05 AM »
I went to high school with a Russian guy with straight blonde hair who wore a durag all the time. The 00’s were weird. Despite my silly bullshit, I agree the Tyshawn durag hate is fucked up. Anyhoo, I love Baker, I like Kader, and as a former 20 year old stoner, I can appreciate the young dude trying to forge his own path.

I’m excited see the footage I imagine he’s stacked.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1569 on: May 26, 2023, 06:29:50 AM »
does kader still have that huge pickup truck? i know the royalties from violet decks aren’t going to come close to covering the monthly payment on that thing. if i were his financial advisor, i’d tell him to hold off on leaving baker, at least until violet is sold at zumiez.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1570 on: May 26, 2023, 06:41:12 AM »
does kader still have that huge pickup truck? i know the royalties from violet decks aren’t going to come close to covering the monthly payment on that thing. if i were his financial advisor, i’d tell him to hold off on leaving baker, at least until violet is sold at zumiez.

This isn't 1987, board sales are not the be-all-end-all of a pro's income anymore. I'm sure Adidas and Supreme pay more than decent money to one of their most recognizable riders that's immensely popular with their main target demographic. Will it be a downgrade financially? Sure. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things, i.e. lead to less tangible financial security for him? I highly doubt it.

There's for sure much less prestige associated with riding for Violet, and as an old head myself, I'd have loved it had he stayed with Baker. But I'm not gonna judge a kid for wanting to do something different.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1571 on: May 26, 2023, 06:44:12 AM »

I don’t know if he still has the truck but he’s been driving a Porsche. And pretty sure all that moneys coming from Adidas.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1572 on: May 26, 2023, 06:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t know if he still has the truck but he’s been driving a Porsche. And pretty sure all that moneys coming from Adidas.

Pretty sure he rear ended an old lady and wrecked the Porsche the week he got it
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1573 on: May 26, 2023, 07:29:50 AM »
I wish I had a couple of those ear snot boards.

That's low key my favorite graphic out.

I love the h street style 5050 bottom ply and I've always dug on ear snot.

He's like the BA of bombing.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1574 on: May 26, 2023, 07:32:36 AM »

How much money do you think pros really make from deck sales and does it possibly compare with the money you get from having a signature shoe with Adidas?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1575 on: May 26, 2023, 07:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How much money do you think pros really make from deck sales and does it possibly compare with the money you get from having a signature shoe with Adidas?

Expand Quote
[close]

This isn't 1987, board sales are not the be-all-end-all of a pro's income anymore. I'm sure Adidas and Supreme pay more than decent money to one of their most recognizable riders that's immensely popular with their main target demographic. Will it be a downgrade financially? Sure. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things, i.e. lead to less tangible financial security for him? I highly doubt it.

There's for sure much less prestige associated with riding for Violet, and as an old head myself, I'd have loved it had he stayed with Baker. But I'm not gonna judge a kid for wanting to do something different.
i was trying to make a joke about how stupidly expensive huge pickup trucks are by tying that into his clear downgrade of a sponsor hop. i'm fully aware shoe and clothing sponsors pay more than board sponsors.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #1576 on: May 26, 2023, 07:58:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It used to be board buys the car, shoe buys the house but I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1577 on: May 26, 2023, 08:02:48 AM »
the board buys your breakfast, the shoe buys your car collection, the energy drink buys your mansion
ONTARIO CANADA

apport

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1578 on: May 26, 2023, 08:06:34 AM »
what does the signature weed strain buy you?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1579 on: May 26, 2023, 08:09:32 AM »

more weed
ONTARIO CANADA

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1580 on: May 26, 2023, 08:32:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i was trying to make a joke about how stupidly expensive huge pickup trucks are by tying that into his clear downgrade of a sponsor hop. i'm fully aware shoe and clothing sponsors pay more than board sponsors.

Fair enough, that went right over my head. Probably because I'm not a car person at all and have no idea how much those tanks cost.

...Just googled pickup truck prices. What the ever-living fuck.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1581 on: May 26, 2023, 08:38:48 AM »

I think I remember him trying to find a buyer for it on his instagram stories like a month after he bought it
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #1582 on: May 26, 2023, 10:18:15 AM »
Completely different situation than The Boss. He started something new with peers who skate. Kader just hopped on Fat Bill’s passion project. No doubt the worst move Kader could have made. So gross. Be more respectable if he joined a skater owned company. I support change & growing however this move appears like a step backward instead of forward

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1583 on: May 26, 2023, 10:29:42 AM »
What's up with people wanting a huge car payment immediately after coming into money? Get a Civic and wait a bit, bro.
I applaud Tyshawn for doing what any average person would do with some money, invest it. I know he's made some ignorant purchases, as well, but he seems like he has advisors and pays it forward.

I'm gonna go full tinfoil and say the CIA started the cultural movement of spending all your money to look cool so everybody stays broke. Bring back the Caveman aesthetic. These kids can retire in a few years with all that Adidas money if they're smart.

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #1584 on: May 26, 2023, 10:50:52 AM »
That's it, Kader, we've had enough of you disrespecting The Boss.  YOURE GROUNDED!

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #1585 on: May 26, 2023, 11:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Completely different situation than The Boss. He started something new with peers who skate. Kader just hopped on Fat Bill’s passion project. No doubt the worst move Kader could have made. So gross. Be more respectable if he joined a skater owned company. I support change & growing however this move appears like a step backward instead of forward

Never thought of it from this perspective but pretty spot on in my opinion.
Leaving one of the most rock solid, well respected brands in the industry for a flavor-of-the-month hipster brand...yikes.
But, you know, a hip young tastemaker doesn't want to be shackled to all the crusty old fucks on Baker, gotta go where the cool kids are. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and Violet will go on to be the greatest brand in all of skateboarding forever, but I doubt it. Either way, as long as he stays focused and keeps shredding he'll be able to find a home somewhere, so he'll probably be fine.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1586 on: May 26, 2023, 11:33:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

more weed

;)

Right on.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1587 on: May 26, 2023, 11:37:35 AM »
What's up with people wanting a huge car payment immediately after coming into money? Get a Civic and wait a bit, bro.
I applaud Tyshawn for doing what any average person would do with some money, invest it. I know he's made some ignorant purchases, as well, but he seems like he has advisors and pays it forward.

I'm gonna go full tinfoil and say the CIA started the cultural movement of spending all your money to look cool so everybody stays broke. Bring back the Caveman aesthetic. These kids can retire in a few years with all that Adidas money if they're smart.

I agree.

If I had the bread I'd be driving a Prius rn.

The money you save on gas pays for everything.

Later on I'd get back to building the dream car. Which is definitely made by Honda.

I love Honda.
(A)pl(E)

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 127
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #1588 on: May 26, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »

I see what you mean, but his voice isn't nearly deep enough. BA's vocal chords are probably longer than his donger.

This Juxtapose/Krooked video gives you a really fun peek into his studio and its awesome knickknacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnx5GnLPLtU
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1589 on: May 26, 2023, 12:20:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I see what you mean, but his voice isn't nearly deep enough. BA's vocal chords are probably longer than his donger.

This Juxtapose/Krooked video gives you a really fun peek into his studio and its awesome knickknacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnx5GnLPLtU

That was kinda sick. I'm glad he's living good. I figured all bombers was doing as poorly as I. Lol.
(A)pl(E)