Author Topic: Mami Tezuka pro for Blood Wizard  (Read 4066 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Mami Tezuka pro for Blood Wizard
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2022, 05:57:57 PM »
Expand Quote
While we’re at it, let’s call Evisen out for their stereotypical Japanese art direction as well.

…and DGK for culturally appropriating Japanese art on some of their decks and shirts.
[close]

Evisen is a Japanese brand though?
yeah exactly right? I actually think that it’s pretty cool that they embrace their culture rather than trying to ape foreign brands …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »
She rips. Congrats Mami!

Monopolyman

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2022, 06:47:47 PM »
Looks like they went through the dumpsters behind Powell's art departement

Haha not wrong, but to play devil’s advocate ”went through the dumpsters at Powell” is sorta Blood Wizard’s brand as far as graphics go

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2022, 10:54:32 PM »
Ranking of worst cliche graphics for a Japanese rider

1- Shin Sanbongi’s surf graphic

2- Sakura Yosozumi’s skeleton geisha with a sword and fan

3- Mami’s. But at least the one in the left seems to be self-consciously cheesy.

What Japanese riders had actually decent graphics?

Right now I can only think of Toyota’s classic Cat and Mouse graphic from Santa Cruz

honestly what a garbage fucking take. when japanese people want to celebrate their culture, you mock it. japanese are proud of their culture. let them celebrate it. that should be the end of it. 

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2022, 01:04:10 AM »
Expand Quote

3- Mami’s. But at least the one in the left seems to be self-consciously cheesy.

Right now I can only think of Toyota’s classic Cat and Mouse graphic from Santa Cruz
[close]

honestly what a garbage fucking take. when japanese people want to celebrate their culture, you mock it. japanese are proud of their culture. let them celebrate it. that should be the end of it.

I don't think that's the problem here. Can't speak for everyone but Mami and Sakura were obviously surprised with their pro boards (as in, they didn't design the boards or have any input). Nobody is saying Japanese people (or anyone for that matter) shouldn't celebrate their culture. In this case, these companies give the most generic and borderline stereotypical graphics for Japanese riders. It's like the only things they know about Japan are samurai, geisha, cherry blossoms, and the rising sun. I dont think there's any bad intent, but It's just lazy imo.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2022, 02:23:27 AM »
Tbh though, most companies are pretty lazy for nearly all of their foreign riders.
Got an Australian? Great let’s go with a kangaroo graphic…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2022, 04:03:27 AM »
Tbh though, most companies are pretty lazy for nearly all of their foreign riders.
Got an Australian? Great let’s go with a kangaroo graphic…

Yeah, and Powell has been doing this since the 1980s

Kevin Harris is Canadian…a skeleton in a Mountie uniform holding a beaver

Per Welinder is Swedish, so a skull in a Viking helmet

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2022, 05:19:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Who says they have any real say in the graphic?
There are a billion more ways to celebrate Japanese culture, than with easy, cliche tropes. Evidence does it extremely well. As with some other Japanese brands.
I’m not sure a skeleton geisha samurai or some foreigner fantasy take of Japanese culture is really something they are proud of.

(Edit-the skeleton samurai was done by Hirotton, a Japanese artist. But he does a lot of skeletons, so it doesn’t really save him from the basic cliche argument)

Do you think an American riding for say, an African brand would be ‘proud of their culture’ to have a fat cowboy driving a hummer full of semi-automatic rifles with a mouthful of McDonalds fries?

But fuck it, I’ll ask Sakura next time I see her. Maybe Mami if I bump into her again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:10:16 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »
So by this logic Girl should not do OG logo boards with “Girl” written in the language of the rider’s ethnic heritage or geographic slang.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2022, 09:05:48 AM »
I don’t think it’s culturally offensive, I just think it’s lazy

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »
Getting this back to being about Mami

https://youtu.be/h5tJkoiG4wI

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2022, 12:17:50 PM »
Gotta love the rabbit hole narratives we jump down when we just don’t like the graphics…..

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2022, 12:38:43 PM »
Say what you will that part was damn enjoyable. Loved the slam montage at the beginning, kind of nicely enhances the actual achievement of making shit like this look so easy. And a proper collection of enders. Have we actually allowed the possibility that she herself envisioned/commissioned these graphics?

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2022, 02:08:18 PM »
She fuckin’ rips, well deserved. Beautiful front smiths. Wish the graphics weren’t so heinous. Or had better dimensions so I could support. So I’ll just golf clap from the sidelines instead.

This right here. make bigger fucking boards please.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2022, 06:50:43 PM »

Two killer video parts, she won the P-Stone event at Lower Bob’s, she’d better be in the A-list for a SOTY

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2022, 07:41:11 PM »
Part was so good, earned that pro board for sure. Flower shop trick was tight

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2022, 02:50:07 AM »
Damn, she’s a ripper. I’m excited to see the next generation of female skaters because they are fucking killing it.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2022, 06:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2022, 06:43:45 AM »
Expand Quote

Evidence

[close]

Autocorrect. Was supposed to say ‘Evisen’

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2022, 08:52:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Two killer video parts, she won the P-Stone event at Lower Bob’s, she’d better be in the A-list for a SOTY

Also, she placed top three in X-Games Japan.

Her footage is always enjoyable to watch

I honestly would put her as a solid SOTY contender. .

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2022, 09:46:52 AM »
Hypothetically, as an American, I'd be bummed if I was pro for a foreign board company and they gave me some Ben Franklin, red white & blue Nascar graphic.

Congrats to Mami... well deserved and earned! I love her skating!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2022, 01:03:48 PM »
I’d think another reason they’d turn someone Japanese pro is to sell boards in……..Japan.  So if it’s going to go over poorly there….they wouldn’t do it. 

mamba

• Sucka free
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2022, 10:10:52 AM »
Gotta love the rabbit hole narratives we jump down when we just don’t like the graphics…..

Lmao. Literally. "Hey lets all start criticizing Japanese style graphics as lazy and uncreative".

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lmao. Literally. "Hey lets all start criticizing Japanese style graphics as lazy and uncreative".

Because cliches are exactly that: lazy and uncreative. In this case it just happens to be stereotypical Japanese cliches. These are literally the Japanese equivalent of a truck-stop eagle Eagle/American flag t-shirt. Skaters criticize cliche graphics all the time.

Not all Japanese-themed graphics are cliche. For example Evisen does it very well.

Perhaps the problem is that you don’t realize that Japan has an incredibly rich visual culture that is much wider than ninjas, samurais, Mt Fuji and anime?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:27:28 PM by cucktard »

mamba

• Sucka free
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2022, 07:45:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Because cliches are exactly that: lazy and uncreative. In this case it just happens to be stereotypical Japanese cliches. These are literally the Japanese equivalent of a truck-stop eagle Eagle/American flag t-shirt. Skaters criticize cliche graphics all the time.

Not all Japanese-themed graphics are cliche. For example Evisen does it very well.

Perhaps the problem is that you don’t realize that Japan has an incredibly rich visual culture that is much wider than ninjas, samurais, Mt Fuji and anime?

No you fucking kook. It is because I am Japanese. I understand the culture better than you since I grew up with it. So maybe before you attempt to insult me, you check where you're coming from and what it means to different asian americans, to have their culture represented on a board. Cliche or not, there is so little representation of Asian people in skateboarding, I'll take it.

I'm annoyed at everyone coming at these graphics because American companies don't turn Japanese skaters pro that often. Shit, there aren't even that many asian folks in the American skateboard scene. So, I am just happy that I am able to get a graphic that somewhat resonates with my culture unlike 99% of the boards on the market. Because being japanese is part of my identity, something you know nothing about. And last time i checked, white folks eat all this Japanese shit up, just because it is foreign.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2022, 08:44:24 PM »
Yuto has good Japanese graphics
So does the dude on 5borro and the and dude on traffic.

Mami’s sorceress deck is kind of sick.

Blind and Powell just have bad graphics because it’s blind and Powell and they already have bad graphics and have to stick to that established look.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2022, 08:50:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No you fucking kook. It is because I am Japanese. I understand the culture better than you since I grew up with it. So maybe before you attempt to insult me, you check where you're coming from and what it means to different asian americans, to have their culture represented on a board. Cliche or not, there is so little representation of Asian people in skateboarding, I'll take it.

I'm annoyed at everyone coming at these graphics because American companies don't turn Japanese skaters pro that often. Shit, there aren't even that many asian folks in the American skateboard scene. So, I am just happy that I am able to get a graphic that somewhat resonates with my culture unlike 99% of the boards on the market. Because being japanese is part of my identity, something you know nothing about. And last time i checked, white folks eat all this Japanese shit up, just because it is foreign.

I agree with what you’re saying, particularly with the lack of representation. 

There does seem to be some kind of divide, particularly with these Japanese female skaters between them getting sponsored by a legit board company and being on the actual team.   Deathwish has two of them, but they aren’t ever featured in the videos or anything that and I believe Toy has another (sorry their names aren’t coming to me, I don’t watch contests at al really).   

Too boot, these top women all kinda sorta of dress the same (or at least heavily ballcapped) so the board graphic would be a good way to show a little more of who these rippers are on a personality level rather than a “first thought best thought” association with whatever country they come from.   

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2022, 10:30:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No you fucking kook. It is because I am Japanese. I understand the culture better than you since I grew up with it. So maybe before you attempt to insult me, you check where you're coming from and what it means to different asian americans, to have their culture represented on a board.

I wasn’t trying to be mean (unlike your pointed kook remark), I honestly thought you might just be an average ‘Mercian with almost zero idea about cultures outside the US.  That was a a big assumption on my part.

And speaking of assumptions

Because being japanese is part of my identity, something you know nothing about. And last time i checked, white folks eat all this Japanese shit up, just because it is foreign.

I’ve been living in Japan (where I’m writing this from) for about 16 years. I study Japanese art. I was writing from the perspective of a Japanese person (my skater friends) who are born and raised in this culture, who are handed it back to them in these lame, lazy perceptions of ‘Japanese’ graphics through a cheesy American lense.

That’s why I care about it. Ive met Mami and Sakura, I want them and Japanese skaters to have something a bit more unique, thoughtful, and cool than something slapped together because it has some cherry blossoms or a katana. That’s assuming they even want to define themselves by their nationality.
アメリカにプロ日経スケーターや格好いいデッキのグラフィックは少なすぎるからあんなにダサいグラフィックを「批判から守らなきゃ」って気分を持つって本当にかわいそう。
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:09:23 AM by cucktard »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2022, 06:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Definitely a top SOTY contender. I can't think of anyone else this year
if you haven watched this part yet, I highly recommend

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2022, 09:23:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Definitely a top SOTY contender. I can't think of anyone else this year
if you haven watched this part yet, I highly recommend

I expect Kader is gonna get a good push. He put out that Adidas part a couple months back. Then I feel like we'll see a surprise Baker and/or Spitfire part drop closer to the end of the year.

If Mami drops one more part, be it for Ace or Vans or Pepper Grip, she would remain a solid SOTY contender.

Edit: Found out she did have a mini Vans vid out earlier this year. So she has two parts out this year already. And seeing she's always with Lizzie and Gregson, she could legit have a third by EOY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNLA_H2a6m4
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 09:30:16 AM by TastyBurrito »