Author Topic: MAGENTAPES  (Read 3724 times)

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
Re: Shogo Zama - MAGENTAPES
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2022, 06:01:25 PM »
Expand Quote
So much piss in that Jimmy Lannon part. Like every clip, just piss.
[close]

not seen many florida videos huh

It not just Florida. Seen it in DC, LA, or anywhere that is really sunny. I don’t know if it’s bad white balance or what but the yellow tone detracts from the quality of the footage so much that it’s unwatchable to me. Jimmy has dope style tho.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2022, 06:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It not just Florida. Seen it in DC, LA, or anywhere that is really sunny. I don’t know if it’s bad white balance or what but the yellow tone detracts from the quality of the footage so much that it’s unwatchable to me. Jimmy has dope style tho.

It's when filmers white balance off blue sky instead of pure white to give the footage some tint, stylistically that can work but is usually and arguably best kept to less extreme degrees. People do it everywhere and while I reckon anywhere really sunny is bound to result in something excessive, to some people it's a style they consciously pursue (maybe due to living around spots they're convinced would otherwise look plain?). That joke I read as on Florida in particular because it does seem like there is a particular abundance of Floridian filmers who are or have always been into it to the point where it starts feeling traditional. Wouldn't be surprised if some even bumped up the contrast in post to make the aesthetic more prominent and stuff.

Personally I'm not opposed to some tint if it works with the spot but draw the line as soon as it starts washing out the natural colors - I think colder tones should also belong to the picture otherwise you lose a dimension, in fact 'blue tint' footage the type of which people normally get when they just got their first camera and haven't figured out manual settings yet I find pretty cool and can be interesting, also much less explored. I think there's room to show the gloomy in skating. But it's probably all just a case of part of a matter-of-taste thing meets part of a simple-is-best thing.

Now I'm also legitimately wondering how conscious it is a choice for most filmers who do it. Seems like the kind of gimmick that honestly feels cool and stylish at first when you're getting interesting results but then is easy to overdo without realizing until it escalates to the point where someone calls you out for it (been there myself before with orange/red tint).

Leo's part is a good example of the kind of VX colors I like right now. The contrast maybe very slightly bumped up in post, but mostly natural and so it's a more relatable balance of everything that sticks out.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2022, 06:34:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It’s just people bumping the white balance to be more red/yellow because they think it looks good. I personally don’t agree though.

As silhouette mentioned some people white balance off the blue sky. In addition to this, anyone who knows how to use a vx1000 will likely adjust the white balance/color temperature in the custom presets menu of the camera. And some people will just bump it all the way to the right to make things look extra yellow. I’ve talked to filmers who think this successfully makes all footage appear to be shot at golden hour but I strongly disagree. Genuine golden hour colors that look good can only really be captured naturally. Otherwise you just end up with “the Florida look”. To each their own I guess.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 06:42:03 PM by Pappy Jones »

ViewFinder

• Rep: 22
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2022, 06:42:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's when filmers white balance off blue sky instead of pure white to give the footage some tint, stylistically that can work but is usually and arguably best kept to less extreme degrees. People do it everywhere and while I reckon anywhere really sunny is bound to result in something excessive, to some people it's a style they consciously pursue (maybe due to living around spots they're convinced would otherwise look plain?). That joke I read as on Florida in particular because it does seem like there is a particular abundance of Floridian filmers who are or have always been into it to the point where it starts feeling traditional. Wouldn't be surprised if some even bumped up the contrast in post to make the aesthetic more prominent and stuff.

Personally I'm not opposed to some tint if it works with the spot but draw the line as soon as it starts washing out the natural colors - I think colder tones should also belong to the picture otherwise you lose a dimension, in fact 'blue tint' footage the type of which people normally get when they just got their first camera and haven't figured out manual settings yet I find pretty cool and can be interesting, also much less explored. I think there's room to show the gloomy in skating. But it's probably all just a case of part of a matter-of-taste thing meets part of a simple-is-best thing.

Now I'm also legitimately wondering how conscious it is a choice for most filmers who do it. Seems like the kind of gimmick that honestly feels cool and stylish at first when you're getting interesting results but then is easy to overdo without realizing until it escalates to the point where someone calls you out for it (been there myself before with orange/red tint).

Leo's part is a good example of the kind of VX colors I like right now. The contrast maybe very slightly bumped up in post, but mostly natural and so it's a more relatable balance of everything that sticks out.

I was joking a bit, but I've heard it referred to as the "florida balance" a lot.
Also I have heard that the red chip is the most dominant of the 3 in color intensity from the VX1000. From playing with colors over the years it seems to have the richest image when balancing warmer.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2022, 06:50:20 PM »

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
Re: MAGENTAPES
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2022, 08:37:41 PM »
Is magenta the polar opposite of primitive on the skate team spectrum?

Leo valls is Andy Anderson but cool
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 08:54:49 PM by NoComply180 »

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2022, 09:34:23 PM »
What's with Floridians and tigers? Or is this just a coincidence

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2022, 07:26:03 AM »
Glad I’m not the only one to notice. I remember the terrible “white balance off the sky to get those golden VX colorz” era

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2022, 07:39:02 AM »
Damn I’m here waiting to see what maestro Ruben came up with.

Is Hugo Maillard gonna be in this?
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2022, 09:57:34 AM »
i never realized it was as blatant as white balancing off of blue sky.

as someone that edits photos for a living that yellow piss balance does get on my nerves but not enough to distract from new jimmy lannon footage
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2022, 10:42:11 AM »

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2022, 10:42:48 AM »
Damn I’m here waiting to see what maestro Ruben came up with.

Is Hugo Maillard gonna be in this?
Damn I almost forgot Hugo was on! Sure hope he pops up in this. Love his first Magenta part

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSo78zS30nw

Edit: that Soy/Vivien/Ruben part was excellent. Short but sweet. I’ll never get tired of watching Soy do lines

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2022, 12:46:12 PM »
Place dropped this interview with Vivien alongside their part, too: https://place.tv/place-magentapes/

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2022, 10:59:23 AM »
Place dropped this interview with Vivien alongside their part, too: https://place.tv/place-magentapes/
sick! thanks sihouette! Do you know if the full video with all the parts will be up?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2022, 08:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
sick! thanks sihouette! Do you know if the full video with all the parts will be up?

I have no idea. For now it looks like they've most been trying to work with the whole network of skate media which I think is pretty sick and I wish more companies did out of respect for the culture. But I suspect they will put it up in full eventually, unless they're making DVD's (which they haven't done in a while and I miss, for instance I think it's pretty sick how Soleil Levant is still mostly DVD only to this day). I could just ask, but one could also just DM Vivien or Soy directly with no need for me as an intermediary - they would appreciate the interest.

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2022, 08:23:17 PM »
i wonder how much footy casey foley and morgan campbell got for this video

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2022, 02:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I have no idea. For now it looks like they've most been trying to work with the whole network of skate media which I think is pretty sick and I wish more companies did out of respect for the culture. But I suspect they will put it up in full eventually, unless they're making DVD's (which they haven't done in a while and I miss, for instance I think it's pretty sick how Soleil Levant is still mostly DVD only to this day). I could just ask, but one could also just DM Vivien or Soy directly with no need for me as an intermediary - they would appreciate the interest.

I asked for the DVDs.

And the SF section goes hard.
https://youtu.be/B6SCYVijJRI
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:31:20 AM by fs1/2cab »
IG: @flowterspace

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2022, 07:39:05 AM »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2022, 04:20:08 AM »

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2022, 01:18:40 PM »
haven´t watched the whole video yet but no hugo footage?  :-\
at least his name doesn´t pop up in the description....

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
Glad they released the whole thing. Fuck Shogo has such a sick style. Him and Shin Sanbongi are my two favorites out of Japan right now. They make everything look effortless.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2022, 09:42:50 PM »
Perfect style. So fluid. 
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2022, 04:34:30 AM »

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2022, 01:29:49 PM »
Gunes is so enjoyable to watch skate. Loved that quick footed Ollie to backside flip

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs