Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59466 times)

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Up late, about to hit the hay but worth noting.

Since 2004 you could compete in the Olympics with the gender you identify as if under hormone treatment for at least 2 years. It wasn't until last year, 2021, that a transgender athlete won gold, and it was a team sport, soccer.

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
Expand Quote
Something else I find fascinating is where people are trying to draw the line on what is and isn't antisemitism surrounding her happening to be Jewish. Which if you're Jewish, there's some added fire to fuel the comments for or against her stance.

The Palestine/Israel conflict being thrown into this dumpster fire is a doozy, since commenting "Free Palestine" can be seen as antisemitic.

Whether you agree or disagree, I have no qualms. I am curious where people are drawing the line, since people throwing that around aren't targeting her, but are speaking politically on her page about the Palestine/Israel conflict because she happens to be Jewish.
[close]

FREE PALESTINE is never antisemitic wtf lmao

Exactly my thoughts, but some people say otherwise on IG... albeit also defending Taylor, so there's some bias there, obviously.
Super Champion Fun Zone

eSK3

When we learn to hate everyone equally then the true healing can begin.

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 257
When we learn to hate everyone equally then the true healing can begin.

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
On a side note, perhaps the best way for "core" skating to deal with this would be to make sure any contest this kook enters in the future gets absolutely stacked with super good girl skaters to make sure she gets shown up, particularly if they're all about 10 so it throws cold water on her "physical advantage" arguments.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
gonna be a bitch when heather swanson decides to give skateboarding a go

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
i thought she was gonna be good and then i watched her videos..... oh. as another female, i am embarrassed for her.

dofrenzy

Hey all, just want to revisit this so I can admit that my initial postings were based in utter ignorance and didn’t know what a trans woman is (in spite of me having a trans brother and in spite of me being supportive of LGBTQIA+).  I cannot state strongly enough that I am NOT a transphobic person, but readily admit my ignorance.

So I educated myself a bit.  As I understand it, a trans woman is someone who has transitioned…..wow, even after some research I am still not sure what words to use here; male, female, man, woman, sex, gender….all words that have been seemingly set in stone in the past certainly have been evolving in recent years to include what we now know is a very diverse biological and genetic spectrum.  Please bear with me……and please help me understand anything I get wrong or am missing.

A trans woman is someone born as a male who has completely transitioned to living life as a female, including hormone therapy.  The Olympics requires a trans athlete to be under hormone therapy for a minimum of 2 years before being allowed to compete.

There seems to be a clear distinction between “woman” and “female” too, where the word female seems to be genitalia specific and the word woman seems to describe feminine traits.  One person who responded to The 2nd place winner pointed out that it was a “women’s” competition not a “female” (genitalia-based) competition.

Also learned:

TERF = Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist
Cis = on the side of (a Latin word or prefix, not an acronym)

Looking forward to a day of being slightly less ignorant about this.

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -16
If a trans man competed in the mens contest and won, would we be hearing the same conversations?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
Expand Quote
i don't get how people are so confident with these topics and insensitive to people being confused, taking pause, questioning, etc... there's a lot of tricky things that will likely pop up. is it naive or wrong to ask what it means to be a woman in the context of these events? is there some type of definition or qualification or is it simply a matter of someone saying they are a woman when they register? wouldn't that leave open competing in different events as different sexes on different days? would it even be possible to identify as both a man and a woman and compete in both events on the same day. if being both sexes isn't a thing, why not? if someone says they are both who's to say they aren't. if competing at different events as different sexes on different days shouldn't be allowed, why not? do the organizers of the events have any say in these matters being the ones who are creating the categories or is the concept of male and female now essentially unregulated.

there's so many things that can pop up around these evolving understandings of gender and identity and i really don't get why people are being complete a holes about this in both directions. what happened to talking about things in rational ways.
[close]

If you are confused and seek answers to these questions, asking them in the middle of a heated discussion might not be the best move. Instead, contact an LGBTQ advocacy group in your area and see if they can help you. I would be interested to find out what your opinion is after talking to them.

In this particular case, however, there should be no confusion if you believe that trans women are women.

I appreciate your response but have to say that it lands a bit patronizing and self righteous on my end. I think the part that is tripping a lot of people up here is

In this particular case, however, there should be no confusion if you believe that trans women are women.

I think there's a difference between believing that trans women are women on a biological classification level and that trans women should be respected and treated as women and allowed to live their lives with dignity like everyone else. I don't know the terminology but maybe that's the difference between gender and gender identity. When it comes to sporting events, I'm pretty sure the classifications were created in a time when the biological differences were considering significant and necessary to level the playing field in sports or why else would it have been done? Maybe like most things that were decided a long time ago that was the wrong call. I have no idea as I have no horse in the race as a person who honestly doesn't give a shit about sports. I can honestly say I give way more of a shit about the trans struggle than competitive sports.

However, my previous point to the one you quoted was calling out to ideas like things being "helpful" to the trans cause. I think pushing hard on the concept that everyone has to accept in their mind that trans women are biologically the same as non-trans women seems unlikely to be helpful and in some ways is just impractical/impossible. If a body is found charred, isn't part of that analysis what the sex is? Surely the technician will need to think differently here and this would have to be an exception to the idea that biologically they are the same. I also feel it would be really helpful to this community if there was a definition on the table of what being a woman or man means, how it's qualified, etc... Maybe there is and I'm being ignorant and should take your advice and talk to the LGBTQ+ people. However I do know that there are a lot of well intentioned people who really don't understand what the new standards/rules/whatever it should be called are when it comes to gender and I'm pretty sure there's are a lot of people who are reading this in that boat. Every conversation seems like an opportunity to enlighten people to me but instead feels like anyone who asks questions is called transphobic. The whole thing is honestly really complex and new to most people and again this is why I don't get why people aren't more patient and less self righteous when discussing these topics.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just put myself in the 1st place winners shoes and I am gutted.  I wish I had started with that.  I 100% support her and her peers.  I am one of those rational/logical people that wants everything to be zeroes and ones and I approached this topic with a dictionary.  When I took an emotional peek at not only the topic but also the person(s) involved, it made me sad about my position here.

I did quickly edit out my congratulations to Taylor but some folks picked up on it.

Congratulations to the person who was judged 1st place by the people at the actual event.  I just went to find that person’s name but evidently Taylor Silverman has been put in 1st place and there is only a 2nd placer, no 3rd.

I apologize, sincerely, if my statements offended anyone; I have been dealing with my own gender biases since my little sister came out as lesbian, ultimately becoming a trans man, and over literally decades I have been uncovering my own prejudices, bigotry, and frankly my complete lack of understanding.  I feel enlightened by this discussion and I feel like my mind is a little more open at least.
[close]

You literally posted the dictionary definition of a women in response to others. I don’t care about your story, it doesn’t mean your transphobic remarks just wash away. Fuck off
[close]

Come on, dude. Scorching people who are legitimately trying and are willing to put it out there in the spirit of getting somewhere on all this ?
[close]

Oh sorry, next time I’ll bring out the red carpet.
[close]

God damn dude, your reaction would be warranted if he dug his heels in and said nothing and didn’t express the desire to learn and change.

All that you are accomplishing by throwing a shit fit like this is trying to make yourself look and feel superior by dunking on someone who has expressly admitted they were wrong and wants to improve.

Not to mention, a member of the trans community has recognized that he is willing to change and learn; as well as commended his response and seen he has taken this lesson to heart.

Stop making this issue about yourself, and see it for what it is: an opportunity where someone who needed education was receptive to it. That’s a small W in this massive trainwreck.
[close]

Yes, telling someone to fuck off for saying transphobic shit is making it about me. Like I said next time I’ll bring out the red carpet. I’m happy he’s willing to change but I don’t have to fucking root for him.
[close]

You could also just shut up.
[close]

he did dig his heels in initially. the timeline of events is: 1) dofrenzy comes in says hes not a transphobe but ultimately he agrees with Taylor and that she is the rightful winner. 2) then he gets called out on it, so 3) he makes another comment that simulatenously apologizes and also doubles down on the transphobic shit with giving dictionary definitions. 4) after getting called on that he's apologizing, claiming to have had this big revelation and learned a lot 5) then poopnuts says his apology doesnt absolve him and then 6) dofrezny says sorry again and says he'll leave if anyone wants him to. has he grown? i dunno. he sure wants us to think so, but then again he wanted us to think he's not transphobic in his first message and wanted us to think he was apologetic in his 2nd message. Then he comes in to say that he gives poopnuts a pass as if poopnuts is the one on trial here. if youre actually apologetic and learning "you could also just shut up"

Just wanted to say thank you for this, it meant a lot.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I’m sure Palestinian insights regarding LGBT rights would be quite eye-opening for most on this board.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

baulsacc_mcvinegar

• Rep: 2
I’m sure Palestinian insights regarding LGBT rights would be quite eye-opening for most on this board.

what? you think we're gonna find out that palestinians hate gay people and all of a sudden we're totally cool with genociding them? you can support more than one thing, dumbass

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

what? you think we're gonna find out that palestinians hate gay people and all of a sudden we're totally cool with genociding them? you can support more than one thing, dumbass

Right, just not with any sense of consistency 😂

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
Jewish and right wing? Yikes. Is she a holocaust denier?

boi-cuzudo

Just stopping by to say that competitions are dumb. This lady is a total sports jock, I don't like jocks, bullies and hateful people. I don't like competitions. I skate because I need to get away from the bullshit, hatred and misery of this world or I would have jumped off a building long ago. Skate or die. :)

baulsacc_mcvinegar

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I consistently support not genociding anyone and I consistently support not hating minorities. Believe it or not, this can mean supporting not genociding people who hate minorities. Hope this clears it up for you

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I consistently support not genociding anyone and I consistently support not hating minorities. Believe it or not, this can mean supporting not genociding people who hate minorities. Hope this clears it up for you

Good. Sounds like your heart’s in the right place. 🕊

Anti waxxer

• Rep: -12
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdwstsxFJnp/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= Similar event happened in surfing… the female pros are not happy about it.

Bethany Hamilton is the woman that was attacked by a shark and lost her arm and is still pro.
Keala Kennelly is pro surfing’s first openly lesbian and has multiple world titles.
Sage Ericsson is currently on the womens world tour
Victoria verga is on the womens longboard tour.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdwstsxFJnp/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= Similar event happened in surfing… the female pros are not happy about it.

Bethany Hamilton is the woman that was attacked by a shark and lost her arm and is still pro.
Keala Kennelly is pro surfing’s first openly lesbian and has multiple world titles.
Sage Ericsson is currently on the womens world tour
Victoria verga is on the womens longboard tour.

God's plan : getting tuned up by a shark

Not God's plan  : being Trans and just wanting to surf dude

cky enthusiast

the day i’m concerned with the opinions of white californians is the day i finally go rambo on the burger king

somefucker

the day i’m concerned with the opinions of white californians is the day i finally go rambo on the burger king

the one by forman mills gave me extra fries so don't go to that one pls thank you

IpathCats

Expand Quote
[close]

the one by forman mills gave me extra fries so don't go to that one pls thank you

both of these comments are high points of this thread.

baulsacc_mcvinegar

this all comes off as such entitled whiny bullshit to me. like these athletes undergo potentially years of hormone therapy and surgery in order to transition, and after all that + putting in the work as athletes, these women have the audacity to imply that it's somehow an advantage?

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
this all comes off as such entitled whiny bullshit to me. like these athletes undergo potentially years of hormone therapy and surgery in order to transition, and after all that + putting in the work as athletes, these women females have the audacity to imply that it's somehow an advantage?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
this isn't surfing, we don't give a shit

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Expand Quote
To the person spamming that Twitter link: A Twitter post is about as far as you can get from, “recent research.” Posting it as such probably has the opposite effect of your intention.
[close]

Anyone with a cycle or taking estrogen can lactate even if they're not pregnant. There are a lot of hormone-mimicking drugs, one of them being domperidone, which is commonly prescribed for nausea and has lactation as a side effect. It's not a "recent" discovery or a cutting-edge treatment; it's basic biology.
That’s why Puff Daddy never stepped to Suge Knight, the Dom P had him bitchmade

kinjjibo

• Rep: -9
A page sharing her story a couple days ago called her a "professional skateboarder," which thankfully added some humor to how pathetic and fucked this whole "story" is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdtXzAMpQ0Y/

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2151
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
I took a course of Dompierridone and, as well as lactating, THIS happened to me!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?