Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59950 times)

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

It’s baffling why people have to talk shit on the 2nd place girl’s style and trick selection as a way to justify ignoring her feelings.

I'm thinking a lot more about the feelings of the girl that won right now. This 2nd place girl (Taylor) just tagged Ben Shapiro, Candace Owens, Matt Walsh, and their media outlets with a message directly encouraging them to share her post. If any of these tagged people or their outlets pick this up they're going to make the trans girl's life absolutely miserable to say the least - and just for skating well in a contest that happened almost half a year ago.

This girl Taylor is totally twisted for doing that. I'm really hoping her post dies on her page and doesn't make it anywhere that will cause damage or harm to the girl that won.

Whoever this girl is, she's wack. And whoever is in here supporting her, you're wack.

pdknox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
Don’t do FUCK ALL during contest runs and maybe you’ll start winning, jock

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I won high ollie contest once, does this mean i'm a contest skater?

passtheish

• Rep: 6
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not just happening in skating, happening across the board with a lot of competitive sports. It is kinda unfair since people/genders are built differently naturally, thus why we have women's and mens sports separately. Of course there is the rare exception but I’m sure every one will be offended I said that.
[close]

Yeah, in my city there was a youth football team that had a trans somoan player, like we're talking about someone who was 6ft and bulky, would have proved to be a challenge even if they were playing on a mens team for their age group. Some people like to blabber on how sexes are equal and all that PC bullshit, but there are clear genetic differences that no amount of hormone therapy or w/e will ever be able to correct.
[close]

There are differences in the same sex too. Are we going to start letting a 5 foot person start saying a 6 foot guy is unfair because he can dunk? You play the hand you are dealt.
[close]

THIS , if you really wanna argue FAIRNESS, then you cant apply it to sports cause the whole point of competition sports is to Beat the other contenders , the logical solution is divide sports by weight class, and not gender but transphobes don't want to hear that
[close]

Wasn't going to bother with this thread any longer as it's barely related to skating at this point, but pointing out that the biological sex you are born has an impact on your physical capibilites does not make one a transphobe.
Yeah, in a just and perfect world, a male and female of equivalent height/weight would on average perform equally well athletically, however it's just not the case. How do you think a male vs female boxer of the same weight division would go?

cause those physical capabilities are not exclusive to ones gender , what you're stating is old and outdated science , we now understand a lot more about gender and sex and there are not that many differences when comparing men and women, there can be super buff women and there can be smaller men, humans come in a variety of shapes sizes colors and we now know, genders and sexes as well

and it would probably go the same as they are going now, if anything it might improve competition and make for some exciting fights, that's if you're really honest about wanting to have fair and competitive sports for both to be true there should be no segregation, and within weight classes skill will prevail regardless of gender

Logic

• Rep: 35
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not just happening in skating, happening across the board with a lot of competitive sports. It is kinda unfair since people/genders are built differently naturally, thus why we have women's and mens sports separately. Of course there is the rare exception but I’m sure every one will be offended I said that.
[close]

Yeah, in my city there was a youth football team that had a trans somoan player, like we're talking about someone who was 6ft and bulky, would have proved to be a challenge even if they were playing on a mens team for their age group. Some people like to blabber on how sexes are equal and all that PC bullshit, but there are clear genetic differences that no amount of hormone therapy or w/e will ever be able to correct.
[close]

There are differences in the same sex too. Are we going to start letting a 5 foot person start saying a 6 foot guy is unfair because he can dunk? You play the hand you are dealt.
[close]

THIS , if you really wanna argue FAIRNESS, then you cant apply it to sports cause the whole point of competition sports is to Beat the other contenders , the logical solution is divide sports by weight class, and not gender but transphobes don't want to hear that
[close]

Wasn't going to bother with this thread any longer as it's barely related to skating at this point, but pointing out that the biological sex you are born has an impact on your physical capibilites does not make one a transphobe.
Yeah, in a just and perfect world, a male and female of equivalent height/weight would on average perform equally well athletically, however it's just not the case. How do you think a male vs female boxer of the same weight division would go?
[close]

cause those physical capabilities are not exclusive to ones gender , what you're stating is old and outdated science , we now understand a lot more about gender and sex and there are not that many differences when comparing men and women, there can be super buff women and there can be smaller men, humans come in a variety of shapes sizes colors and we now know, genders and sexes as well

and it would probably go the same as they are going now, if anything it might improve competition and make for some exciting fights, that's if you're really honest about wanting to have fair and competitive sports for both to be true there should be no segregation, and within weight classes skill will prevail regardless of gender

So males having thicker bone density, lung capacity, adrenaline levels to name just a few variables is no longer the case?
If there are differences in physical capabilities when it comes to genders in other species, what exactly makes humans so special that this wouldn't apply to us too?
Of course there are going to be outliers in both sexes, but they're the exception and not the rule.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
Excited to see what an absolute car crash this thread becomes within the hour.

LOL'ed at this.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
The only thing more cringe than being a competition skater is being a transphobic competition skater.

[/thread]
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
In my experience men and women are different both physically and mentally. That said those differences have exceptions and via nature/nurture hormone levels and aptitude can fluctuate during development in both sexes.

Males grow out of females via an extra chromosome.

Hips and shoulders are two good physical examples differentiating men and women (the sexes have a completely different center of gravity).

The best example mentally that may impair women from competing with men in sport is men's seemingly natural ability of perceiving spacial relation (plumb/level/grade/tracking movement/etc).
The brain is rather plastic so anything can be perfected over time (though if second nature generally for one sex to have an advantage, progression may be slowed for the opposite sex).

Hips and shoulders are static so center of gravity will always be a thing.
Also muscle balance and potential to build/maintain muscle differs greatly between sexes (the fact women burn many calories ovulating could have something to do with it).

Just stating my understanding...
With a wide variety of genes, mentalities, drives, experiences and circumstances there will always be exceptions to generalities between sexes (some may be very rare hence gender division historically in sport/competition).

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
lmao what a fuckin’ dweeb. scrolling through her posts man she’s dogshit. a zionist to top it all off. mark the calendars babes, KOTY came early 

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
lmao what a fuckin’ dweeb. scrolling through her posts man she’s dogshit. a zionist to top it all off. mark the calendars babes, KOTY came early
the comments on her instagram are killing me! "This isnt even a $3 run"

+1 for koty

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
I'm so happy that skateboarding is basicly a contest free activity and most of us don't have a mindset for that.

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good lord what are teaching kids in school these days. Old and outdated science? Make for some exciting fights? Are you fucking kidding me buddy? Skill will prevail regardless of gender within a weight class? The mental gymnastics that you must do to arrive at this are staggering. Kook me all you like, but to think this is anywhere approaching the realities of the human body and how it applies to sports with regards to the different sexes is honestly just nonsensical.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

I'm thinking a lot more about the feelings of the girl that won right now. This 2nd place girl (Taylor) just tagged Ben Shapiro, Candace Owens, Matt Walsh, and their media outlets with a message directly encouraging them to share her post. If any of these tagged people or their outlets pick this up they're going to make the trans girl's life absolutely miserable to say the least - and just for skating well in a contest that happened almost half a year ago.

This girl Taylor is totally twisted for doing that. I'm really hoping her post dies on her page and doesn't make it anywhere that will cause damage or harm to the girl that won.

Yeah, this is the worst part of the whole thing. Tagging the lowest-of-the-low right wing culture warriors. If they did find interest in the story, the pitchfork mob will follow.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
How is she a contest skater? It looks like she just picked up the hobby a year ago. Clearly there is some decent cash in this for her so it's not all self-styled either. Rather than enjoying those rail flips for what they are she now feels she is not getting her due. Imagine that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:04:24 AM by excitableboy »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Women were kept out of skateboarding for years because guys didn't want to share, wonder if skating had been accepting in the 80s and 90s if we wouldn't see women at the level you're describing. *yes I know women have always skated but you know what I mean.

Expand Quote
You guys can’t deny men are superior in skateboarding. Show me a woman that can pop her kick flips like Christian Maalouf or can Ollie like Reese Forbes. You can support the LGBTQIA+ movement while agreeing that there are differences between men and women. Just look at the Olympic scoring for skating. Ask Leo Baker to compete with the actual men at Tampa and we’ll see what’s up. It’s funny that we smashed the patriarchy by allowing men to dominate every single sport, including skateboarding. You know how disrespectful it is to someone like Elisa this crap is?
[close]
We've had less than one generation of a period in skating where we have more than a handful of female skaters in the limelight and we already see a little girl is doing kf back smiths like this. I guarantee we are about to see a boom in progression.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
First- all human shoud have the same equal rights and chances in life. No matter the sex, skin color, passport or birth certificate.

But its obvious that there are different in the sex - me and my wife are different, my daughter and my son are different.
I can't see a problem in being different. This is the diversity of mankind.  We are not all the same.

Love the LGBT movement today - its important that no one get discriminated / disadvantaged because of sex, and its a fact that this is the current situation for most of the LGBT humans in 99% of the world today.

Its a pleasure to see skateboarding become more female an more open minded in terms of LGBT community.
Growing up in the 90s in a city with one of the biggest LGBT communities globally  - there was just 1 open gay skaterboarder.  Rest was in silence / secret - I dont talk about professionals - I talk about free young people living there best life.  This is a pity - and this changes slowly today.

About Skateboarding and you ability - you size / weight / power doenst really matter.
15 years old Bastien Salabanzi - was small and tiny - ruling the contest circus - unbeatable.
Rayssa Leal is right now in street contest skating the best female with 14 years and 4 feet something...
I am myself 6 feet and 190pounds - it doenst help my kick flip or 360 flip ability - most of the kids in my town and even some of the girls pop, flick and catch a better one then me.
There is no reason a girl coud not skate similar to a man, and there is no reason a girl / boy wich received a treatment
for gender reassignment have any advantage in a competitions against you.

Skateboarding is 10% feet and 90% mind game. Your advantage in muscle mass and testosterone level doesent matter.

Contest in general is a part of skateboarding - but if you get disappointed by your placement  because someone received from the point of view of the judges more points then you - stop going there. Skateboarding Contest shoud be a place to meet people, having a good time and showing off you ability on a skateboard. I never care who won the contest. Can remember only one contest my favorite of the day have "won" the competitions. (Tampa Pro 2011)
Skateboarding is always about competing against your self - not against the skateboarder by your side.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
As a note, it may be good to make sure our criticisms of this person stay within the right framing.

Her pinging dipshits like Benny S. and Candy O. about this is less than ideal and shows a lack of willingness to have a conversation and instead it makes it look like she is trying to instigate some sort of culture war with her local Red Bull contest at the center of things. This poisons the well for sure.

An honest conversation between her and a feminist skateboarder/scholar would be way more interesting. Like, there is no way feminist skaters/scholars (and activists) haven't studied sport, competition, women, and trans athletes in a way that examines biology as well as inclusivity, identity, fairness, and other shit that is relevant.

I think competition is fucking dumb, but that allows me to side-step the controversy within this form of skateboarding, which is being promoted as the "great equalizer" for the jocks in skateboarding.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:00:41 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Supreme Mathematic

• Rep: 13
  • The Godz Must Be Crazy
Cant wait for her part in CisWorld Skateboarding's new video "Alt-Right Foot Forward".

GinosGroceries

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Women were kept out of skateboarding for years because guys didn't want to share, wonder if skating had been accepting in the 80s and 90s if we wouldn't see women at the level you're describing. *yes I know women have always skated but you know what I mean.

Expand Quote
You guys can’t deny men are superior in skateboarding. Show me a woman that can pop her kick flips like Christian Maalouf or can Ollie like Reese Forbes. You can support the LGBTQIA+ movement while agreeing that there are differences between men and women. Just look at the Olympic scoring for skating. Ask Leo Baker to compete with the actual men at Tampa and we’ll see what’s up. It’s funny that we smashed the patriarchy by allowing men to dominate every single sport, including skateboarding. You know how disrespectful it is to someone like Elisa this crap is?
[close]
[close]

PEGGY OKI WAS LITERALLY A ZBOY IN THE 70s

There was literally a women skateboarding on the cover of LIfe magazine in the 60s.

Did you grow up in the 90s? Because the 90s were very much about women can do anything they want. If women didn’t want to deal with unaccepting people in skateboarding in the 90s then that’s on them. Unaccepting people didn’t stop Cara-Beth from shredding. Amy Caron, Alexis and Vanessa Torres grew up in the 90s and they killed it. Elissa is in one of the biggest video game franchises OF ALL TIME. Not to mention she is part of the PissDrunx who were the coolest mother fuckers for a decade. Acceptance be damned. How many men out there didn’t feel accepted at the skateparks and yet still persevered? How many times have you felt unaccepted at a shop or spot? Did it stop you from skateboarding? How many men skated in their shitty neighborhoods even though skateboarding was a “white boi” past time. Like I said, acceptance be damned.

You can support trans people and understand that there is a difference between male and female bodies. Why act like you’re blind to the differences? Who does that help? It’s not transphobic to recognize the differences.

There’s a reason there are men and women’s contest divisions in sports and skateboarding. They wouldn’t exist if it was an even playing field.

Feel free to kook me. I know you will. (Current rep: 121)
But nothing I said can be disputed.
 And yes Every name I dropped has a better kick flip than me. No, that doesn’t devalue what I have said.

It’s baffling why people have to talk shit on the 2nd place girl’s style and trick selection as a way to justify ignoring her feelings.
[close]

actually my g it is transphobic. the WOMAN she was competing against won it fair and square. she did tricks that were gnarlier, but it wasn’t like it was out of reach for taylor. i was there. She just didn’t land her shit or do tricks that would be scored as high.

I said it’s not transphobic to recognize the difference in a male body and female body. (I’m leaving gender identity out of this.)

You’re saying it is transphobic.
So it’s transphobic to say a penis is different than a vagina?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Cant wait for her part in CisWorld Skateboarding's new video "Alt-Right Foot Forward".

Beautiful Champ
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -484
Kook me but there Are physical differences between xx and xy or whatever you Wanna call it.

Its unfair to Trans people and non Trans People. There is no easy Solution to This modern problem but i Hope it gets figured out somehow, otherwise trans people get hate and non Trans people get offended. Everyone loses That way. And everybody loses their Shit about This Topic.

Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
Bryan Herman.

Life as a Bryan Herman is hard-flipped enough, amen

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

truthislie

• Rep: 58
Maybe it’s just me being a boomer, but if all this is true (and I honestly also think there will be an explosion in skill in the womens division), we should start not separating between men and women. However at the moment if it would really solely be based on skill the first 50 places would probably be men. Maybe with a few exceptions…
At least nobody could complain then.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
Ron Allen supporting her in the comments. Showing some intense kookiness and acting like he's a victim because people disagree with him

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -227
Love all the kooks on here trying to make skateboarding sound like a sport where phyiscal 'doninance' and inherent genetics have any bearing whatsoever on how good someone can be. Louie Lopez and Nyjah have pencil thin calves. Tyshawn surprisingly scrawny. Shane Oneil a hobit. Dylan had no ass. Reynolds had forrest gump legs growing up. Bryan Herman. Gerths like Jamie Foy are winning Tampa Am while fitness guru Neen Williams is fighting hard just to maintain sponsorship. Steve Caballero was born with sculiosis for fucks sake and he has had the most successful pro shoe of all time AND won Skater of The Century back in 1999.

Skateboarding is a mental game, where pretty much anyone can do just about anything if they want it bad enough. If anything skateboarding selects for a less than athletic body.

Mental game where anyone can do anything they want it bad enough eh. No, just no. This is not how high level athletics works. And yes, skateboarding is an athletic activity regardless of what you think. More nonsense, and you call us kooks. Of course there’s a big mental element to it ,as there is in all sports. But it’s obv a physical activity. Yes there are many body types that can excel at it, similar to most other sports.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
Kook me but there Are physical differences between xx and xy or whatever you Wanna call it.

Its unfair to Trans people and non Trans People. There is no easy Solution to This modern problem but i Hope it gets figured out somehow, otherwise trans people get hate and non Trans people get offended. Everyone loses That way. And everybody loses their Shit about This Topic.

I agree with this.

Also, people are wrong saying skateboarding is just just a mental game just because the average skateboarder is not build like a power lifter, football player, swimmer, etc. Different sports use different muscles.

For a start some should read this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3761733/

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/55/11/577

All in all those contest situation are not fair to the participant as you already said. In the future there will be more discussions about it, hopefully less heated and more solution-oriented.

Also, that statement of that girl was really embarrassing.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67

i hAvE bEeN sKaTeBoArDiNg fOr eLEvEn yEaRs
The pant situation is out of control at this point

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Judging by her instagram videos, it boggles the mind that she could win $3000 in a contest. And then she whines about it.

She should suck it up, because she is getting a free ride as it is right now. Too bad she canceled herself.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
Judging by her instagram videos, it boggles the mind that she could win $3000 in a contest. And then she whines about it.

Some of the IG comments are too good:

"Imagine posting these wack Todd Falcon mini ramp tricks and then being so mad that you only won $2750 at the last contest that you go full transphobic Karen and demand to speak to the manager of Red Bull."
The pant situation is out of control at this point

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 430
Someone’s fishing for a Plan B sponsorship

+1