Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59793 times)

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
let’s not bring blasphemy into it as religion is the one thing slap debate club has managed to not discuss in this thread
[close]
Ooooh… Did you miss the anti Zionist/anti Semetic debate that took up a good few pages?   ;)

conflating palestinian statehood with religion is gross, don’t wink at me

UselessAsshole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
Umm I don’t think this is a political issue. Silverman has valid point I think. Nora brought up something in her nine club about how a women’s brain once they hit puberty becomes hardwired to minimize risk and protect the body for the primal necessity of reproduction. Where born males brains don’t do this. In an activity like skateboarding it is hugely overcoming fear and risking physical injury so there in itself is an advantage to being born male in skateboarding. Not to mention the difference in bone density and muscle mass between biological males and females. Competition should be fair and I don’t agree with a born male competing against born females. A trans division wouldn’t be a bad idea but I’m not sure how trans people would feel about that. Murky issue… I hope people would think objectively and not so much politically about things like this.

Everyone should be able to express the way they feel inside ❤️

I might be reaching here and this doesn't go into specifics but this article talks about, while not necessarily being a perfect example of a woman's brain, trans women tend to have a brain structure more similar to their experienced gender than a typical mans.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-something-unique-about-the-transgender-brain/#:~:text=Male%20and%20female%20brains%20are,similar%20to%20their%20experienced%20gender.

You're also quoting Nora who was the first big pro to speak up against the person complaining...

As for the physical stuff:

Trans women have larger frames, which are now being powered by reduced muscle mass and reduced aerobic capacity, and that can lead to disadvantages in things like quickness, recovery endurance, and things that might not be quite as obvious as seeing somebody bigger.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20210715/do-trans-women-athletes-have-advantages

This doesn't come across advantageous to me. As for bone density, does that really matter when the girl that's complaining was the only one on the podium wearing full pads in a street based contest? Or when the biggest obstacle is like a 3 flat 3? Feel free to take all of this with a grain of salt, I don't consider skateboarding a sport.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 12:30:38 PM by UselessAsshole »

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
"there's an inarguable physical advantage"
SHUT THE FUCK UP

Thanks Rayssa for existing

You realize there is no difference between boys and girls hormonally until after puberty right? The hormones ,(testosterone), that affect physical differences occur after puberty. So maybe all contests should occur before puberty hits so it’s even huh?

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
why not put everyone together in the same contests and see how many people get upset they can’t win anything that we’re previously winning often with the separation. There is no solution and this post should self destruct

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Deputy Wendell

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Women’s pro tennis handled this shit in the 70’s…….boy have we come along way…

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
You know someone has a really good point when they need ben shapiro, tim pool and piers morgan to back it up

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2192
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
let’s not bring blasphemy into it as religion is the one thing slap debate club has managed to not discuss in this thread
[close]
Ooooh… Did you miss the anti Zionist/anti Semetic debate that took up a good few pages?   ;)
[close]

conflating palestinian statehood with religion is gross, don’t wink at me
Regardless of your take on Palestinian statehood, about which I took NO position at any time, I am of the opinion that Judaism and Islam are both still religions (last tim I checked) and bringing topics like Israeli Zionist policies, Muslim views on LGBTQ+ people, and things of this nature into the convo constitute discussion, at least in part, of religion, and/or aspects there of.
Apologies if that led to confusion.

Have another wink, by the way.  ;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

cky enthusiast

only if you have 0 understanding of state power, statecraft, and the historical events of the last 120-150 years i guess. leave it to some white californian to reduce it to “jews and muslims don’t like each other”. leave the winks to clever people big dog

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115

Deputy Wendell

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
only if you have 0 understanding of state power, statecraft, and the historical events of the last 120-150 years i guess. leave it to some white californian to reduce it to “jews and muslims don’t like each other”. leave the winks to clever people big dog
;)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
Where's all the contest skaters telling me how contest skateboarding was creating a more welcoming environment compared to street skating :o

I like street skateboarding where this shit isn't even a concern. Are you having fun? Are you cool? Awesome. Keep doing it.

bigtime

contest skaters lol

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
I don't want to further pile on this woman but damn her take is trash, just like her skating.

Standing in primo position for 5 minutes adjusting your feet only to flip down to some lame disaster or whatever on a 4ft quarter? No thanks.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
Always enjoy reading his stuff.

Not sure why him and the Gifted Haters of this world treat Slap like Voldemort. They're obviously on here a bunch. It seems to me a lot of us here are in their camp (in this case anyway), too. Oh well.

Did a search but couldn't find a Slap Forum Appreciation thread. A little masturbatory perhaps. But I've been here well over fifteen years. Big part of the culture and I really like this place.

dofrenzy

Not sure why him and the Gifted Haters of this world treat Slap like Voldemort. They're obviously on here a bunch. It seems to me a lot of us here are in their camp (in this case anyway), too. Oh well.

Did a search but couldn't find a Slap Forum Appreciation thread. A little masturbatory perhaps. But I've been here well over fifteen years. Big part of the culture and I really like this place.

That thread you are looking for definitely exists here, or at least it did.  I think about it a lot.  Will post it here if I can find it.

EDIT:  Et voilà:  https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111403.0
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:27:20 AM by dofrenzy »

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
She is in the right, this is turning into Idiocracy. Men and women are built different biologically,  there is no changing that. A biological male entered a biological female contest and won unfairly. I completely understand why she is upset and its crazy that she is getting backlash and being called transphobic. There seems to be enough trans in skating/sports now to where they can have their own category. Also if men and women are built the same physically then why are no trans men in any men's professional sports? There are plenty trans women in women sports dominating though, I bet all those actual girls who have worked hard there whole life and don't want to have to take performance enhancing drugs to win are pissed off but have to stay silent due to the idiotic drama and backlash that could come from speaking out.

You'll be canceled here for ths.

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
She is in the right, this is turning into Idiocracy. Men and women are built different biologically,  there is no changing that. A biological male entered a biological female contest and won unfairly. I completely understand why she is upset and its crazy that she is getting backlash and being called transphobic. There seems to be enough trans in skating/sports now to where they can have their own category. Also if men and women are built the same physically then why are no trans men in any men's professional sports? There are plenty trans women in women sports dominating though, I bet all those actual girls who have worked hard there whole life and don't want to have to take performance enhancing drugs to win are pissed off but have to stay silent due to the idiotic drama and backlash that could come from speaking out.

Shut the fuck up
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

kinjjibo

• Rep: -9
Can we get with the program and let women speak for themselves instead of assuming for them? I'm sure they would appreciate it a lot more than people like you and Taylor throwing trans people under the bus for literally existing and entering a contest that they qualify for.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Expand Quote
[close]

Shut the fuck up

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Shut the fuck up
[close]

somefucker

You trolls need to write more entertaining stuff at least

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
There are plenty trans women in women sports dominating though…
I’m gonna need some citations here.
Please name any sporting category where more than one trans woman occupies a top 10 position in (current, OR past) standings.
I’ll be waiting over here for your response while you frantically search the internet in vain for any shred of evidence that this matters in a consequential way.
Beyond depriving a sore loser of her unearned prize money, that is.

Still here. Find anything yet?
Hmmm… that’s what I thought.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
Nora shared this in her stories on insta
https://anthonypappalardo.substack.com/p/goddamn-it-lets-talk-about-taylor?s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=direct
This passage got me thinking:
Lastly, some people suggested a ridiculous solution for Taylor’s plight. That proposition was to segregate skateboarding further and have a “Trans Division.” Not only is that extremely problematic—I’m thinking of the Negro Leagues in baseball that lasted into the 1950s as one example—and further alienates and dehumanizes the trans community.
Is this a commonly held belief? I’ll be honest, Ive always thought a trans division could be a solution to this whole conundrum. I’ve avoided voicing it however because I don’t think it’s really my place to say. I could do without contest skating in general and mostly I think trans people deserve to make their own call on this issue. They don’t need my ass weighing in.

But here I am weighing in anyway: the key to me would be that a trans division only works, at least on the big budget sports level, if trans athletes are actually on board, and able to steer it themselves, and most crucially, getting comparable support from sponsors etc. That’s a tall ass order these days, however, since corporate sponsors talk a big game about diversity but I don’t think they really mean it. The obvious answer, again, is “fuck competitive skateboarding”… but don’t trans skaters deserve equal opportunities to make careers out of being contest kooks?

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
Expand Quote

[close]

That thread you are looking for definitely exists here, or at least it did.  I think about it a lot.  Will post it here if I can find it.

EDIT:  Et voilà:  https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111403.0

Ah, right you are. Thanks!

Kumiko

• Rep: 56
"trans division" thing seems to just reinforce the idea that trans people aren't ~real~ women/men/etc. Also feel like a person shouldn't have to out themselves as trans just because some fucking dweebs don't want to lose to them. It's all just weird othering bs. The solution is that if someone is afraid that a trans person might smoke them in a comp - the transphobe can sit the fuck out.
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
"trans division" thing seems to just reinforce the idea that trans people aren't ~real~ women/men/etc. Also feel like a person shouldn't have to out themselves as trans just because some fucking dweebs don't want to lose to them. It's all just weird othering bs. The solution is that if someone is afraid that a trans person might smoke them in a comp - the transphobe can sit the fuck out.

Very well said. Respect.
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
Yeah I appreciate the insight, thanks. Would still be curious to hear what more trans athletes think. Sometimes people in marginalized groups actually prefer to have a space of their own. One really sad aspect of all this is that there is so much anti trans hatred and hysteria out there that it prevents a lot of trans people from feeling safe speaking up for themselves. Like how the woman who got first in this comp had to go private. That shit sucks.

Magnolia

• Rep: 433
  • She/They
Yeah I appreciate the insight, thanks. Would still be curious to hear what more trans athletes think. Sometimes people in marginalized groups actually prefer to have a space of their own. One really sad aspect of all this is that there is so much anti trans hatred and hysteria out there that it prevents a lot of trans people from feeling safe speaking up for themselves. Like how the woman who got first in this comp had to go private. That shit sucks.

Having separate events for trans people would just reify the transphobic idea that we aren't real men or women. I stand by my suggestion from earlier:
Ok here's an elegant solution for everyone. People that don't want to compete against trans skaters can have their own 'cissy heats' and then we pelt them with rocks
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch